Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_6b

What are you bringing to the MTPS?

jim_6b
14 years ago

I've been looking around my yard to see what I can bring and have many plants that need to be dug up and separated. I also have a lot of volunteers that came up this year that need to go. I collect seed from all of my plants and usually offer them on the Seed Exchange, but plan on bringing them to the swap. Here is a list of what I have.

Seed - lunaria, grape hyacinth, red columbine, lambs ear, white daisy, orange cosmos, blackberry lily, lemon balm, soapwort, purple and white liatris, and Echinacea tennesseensis.

Plants - Blue bearded iris, orange daylily, lambs ear, lemon balm, walking fern, and Echinacea tennesseensis.

If there is a frost before the swap I can bring some offsets from my Amorphophallas konjac if anyone is interested.

I know it's only July, but October will be here before you know it.

jim_6b

Comments (32)

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

I'm glad you asked this! I wanted to ask it too. :)

Hey, I would love some of your Echinacea tennesseensis!!!

I have been doing the same as you, walking around looking at what I have that could come. Here's what I've got so far:

Little starts of Blue Spruce sedum
    Black Stockings Daylily (spoken for by Pat)
    Starts of "Blue Sue" Setcreasea
    Starts of Autumn Joy Sedum
    Maybe some Golden Curly Willow, if my cuttings live
    2-small Kumson Forsythia (layered this spring, are doing well)
    2-small Common Lilac (also layered this spring)
    1 Large Little Spire Russian Sage (don't like the color for my garden)

Can also take cuttings of Zephirine Drouhin climbing rose, if there is someone who would like just a cutting. You'd have to give me directions on how I need to bring it. This is a very vigorous climbing rose. I bought a small pot from Chamblee's Rose Nursery this spring, and the thing is enormous now! SUPER healthy and disease-resistant. Gets about 8-12 feet tall by 6 feet wide. Thornless. Dark pink blooms. Fragrant. Thrilled with this rose. :)

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Oh, I forgot: I was also thinking about rolling over on some orchids.

I've had these orchids for, oh, what, about 7-9 years. I never had just the right light for them at the other place, so they've never bloomed. Meanwhile, my MIL's orchid (same thing, purchased at same place/time) blooms for months and months on end. She has a big east-facing window.

When we moved, I hoped I would have the right light here. Nope - still not blooming.

I've given them nine years. I'm tired of maintaining them. :)

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

I don't have my kids back in school yet plus doing a bazillion other projects right now so I am not even close to knowing. I will be bringing several orchids though. I have mine in an east window but I really need my laundry room back. lol

• irisaddict
    14 years ago

Connietn,

I would love cuttings of Zephirine Drouhin. My friend Annette would also.

Jim 6b,
    I would like a pup from Amorphophallas konjac.

Okay, now I'm inspired to browse the garden and see what I can bring.

Evelyn

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

1,968 hours
    or
    2 months and 20 days
    or
    82 days and 47 minutes

I have no clue!
    I do know what I won't be bringing: Six 8' tables, MTPS signs, two tubs full of supplies, the Book of Armaments or the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. We may just come in the car and not even have to bring the truck!!!

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Evelyn, sure! Do you know how/when I should cut them? Should I cut them the morning of the swap and put them in a small water tube for you all?

I know you can take cuttings from roses, but I don't really know how to do it. I'm happy to try anything though!

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

E - I just checked on rose cuttings, and it sounded like it might be better to do one in spring...unless you have a greenhouse?

• irisaddict
    14 years ago

I've always heard to put a rose cutting under a mayonnaise jar, in a shady spot, in the fall.
    If it is a vigorous as my roses tend to be, you may be able to share cuttings at each swap just by doing a big of timely pruning.
    Thanks,
    Evelyn

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

OK, I will bring you a cutting and you can put it under a jar at your place and see if it will get established. I also may try just doing a few now and seeing what happens here. It seems extremely vigorous, so maybe it will happen.

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

Well, right now I have very little actually potted up or started. Did thin out the black elephant ears recently. I'm sure I'll have some brug cuttings if not potted plants. Fresh seeds, for sure. (Probably a lot of old ones too.) May or may not have the following:

Corkscrew willow

(Anyone care to ID it?)
    Ruellia (Ruella? Sorry, no pic handy. I will fix that!)
    (The white & yellow ones)

And who knows what else.

• irisaddict
    14 years ago

tngreenthumb

Are your black elephant ears hardy? If so, I would love a baby. What kind of conditions are they growing in? Rita Randolph (Jackson nursery) told me that several were hardy if they stayed drier in the winter.

Evelyn

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

I haven't even thought about what i'm bringing yet! Oh, the pressure...lol. =) I'll have at least a few canned items, probably a handful of plants, a ton of seeds, maybe some cuttings, etc., etc., etc...

What do people normally bring to the Fall swap?

- Steve

• april_h_o April Moore
    14 years ago

Dang! I posted what all I was bringing to the OTHER thread. LOL.

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

tngreenthumb

Are your black elephant ears hardy? If so, I would love a baby. What kind of conditions are they growing in? Rita Randolph (Jackson nursery) told me that several were hardy if they stayed drier in the winter.

Evelyn

Oh my Lord, yes! I bought two or three dried up roots on the clearance table at Home Depot. I have brought them to the swaps ever since. These are the "Illustrous" not the solid black ones. They have green stripes.

What do people normally bring to the Fall swap? - Steve

Pretty much anything you have potted up, rooted, divided, collected or otherwise have in some form and degree of propagation.

Crap! That sounded like a lawyer!!!

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Oh, I forgot: If I still have this horrible walnut tree in the front yard, I'll be bringing approximately a truckload of black walnuts.

• jim_6b
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How about some flower pots and flats. I have enough to fill the bed of a full size pickup but I need to save room for the plants. I have flats of various sizes and pots from 1 to 5 gallons. I work on many new construction sites and the landscapers are usually there and are willing to give me all of their pots and flats.
    jim_6b

• burwoodbelle
    14 years ago

JIM! I sure could use some pots 2-5 gal size.Tell me what you are looking for I'll see what I can find.

PAT.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    14 years ago

I would love pots over 1 gallon in size. The bigger, the better. :-)

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

I will bring pots too.

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

FYI, we're only 72 days away.

I know that 2 months and 11 days seems like a long time but you guys know how quickly it sneaks up on you.

Christmas is in 20 weeks!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

One item I will definitely have a good bit of is dried Habanero's...muahahaha! ;-)

• burwoodbelle
    14 years ago

Anyone interested in a daylily trade I have about 10 or 15 named clumps I am going to move.Whennnnnn I get over this inner ear trouble. Better today to hot to dig HAHA.

Pat

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

tn_veggie_gardner: One item I will definitely have a good bit of is dried Habanero's...muahahaha! ;-)

And I'll have you a nice sign that says " Hi, I'm Steve. Be nice to me because I am INSANE!"

I touched one of those once. Once. Call me a wuss if you want, but I want no part of those things!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

hehehe...wuss! ;-) Just messin. I'll probably dry them or make hot sauce or something. I haven't decided yet.

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Steve--those look great! Mine are still small, except for the anaheims. Both are great in salsa and stir frying. You will enjoy them this winter in soups and chili.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Thanks =) I'm not sure what to do with all of them yet. I definitely know I want to do some Chipotle (with the Jalapeno's, of course). I'll probably dry some & then can some more.

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

I registered for the swap, and have officially written it on my calendar. :)

• mari5us
    14 years ago

Pat,
    I'd be very interested in a daylily trade. I hope you get to feeling better, inner ear problems are wicked !!
    Marianve

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

Steve, we'll take all the Hab's you want to get rid of!

I love 'em!!! They're great when making Mexican dishes and we also use them in Rotell. FYI, make sure you wash your hands after picking or slicing...ESPECIALLY before going to the bathroom!!!

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

Jeff....I know of that of which you speak. And it was only jalenpenos. I shudder to think of doing something so stupid with habenaeros.

Also, note to self...Never eat Mexican dishes at Jeff's.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

tngreen: lol...Habs aren't that bad! ;-)

Jeff: Done! The plant is overloaded with them so bad that it's starting to drop 2-3 a day because it can't handle growing all of them. I should have picked some by now, but I still can't figure out what to do with them! lol...I was thinking I might smoke them & make a Hab seasoning shaker of sorts. My attempt at Chipotle's this past weekend worked out excellent, so i'd use that method if I did smoke them. Anyways, you want some fresh ones? I still haven't had a chance to stop by your place for the elephant garlic...lol. I could bring you some fresh Habs. =)