Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tenngarden

Backwards landscaping

tenngarden
10 years ago

I'm sure this is not a new idea. I started this in Florida because i had a house with low windows. My plan was to make every window a garden view. Problem was, following traditional landscape design, lower in front layering up to tallest in the back, i could not see many of my favorite flowering plants from the windows. When I finally settled in this house in TN, the windows were also lower than normal. I landscaped backwards, layering my smaller flowering plants towards the foundation and building the layers so the taller plants are in the front of the bed. U need to take sun direction into consideration, mines's fine. I can now see all of my plants from inside, windows aren't blocked by taller plants and birds, bees and butterflies are visible no matter where i am, inside or outside. And because i'm on a hill, my plants in front are almost visible to the neighbors at the bottom of the hill surrounding me. I have a very large front yard, but want to share the beauty of my plants with all. It also makes accessing my house and foundation much easier. This is not for the traditionalist and my garden is very eclectic, almost wild. I go for really big perennials since i am so far up the road. Try a section of backwards landscaping and see if it works for u.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area