Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

***** Fall 2011 East Tennessee Plant Swap *****

brandon7 TN_zone7
12 years ago

The Fall 2011 East Tennessee Plant Swap will be held at Cheryl Peters' house, 7704 Dave Road, Knoxville, TN 37938 on Saturday, September 24, 2011. Get directions, from wherever you are, through our interactive map on the website (linked below). Setup will begin at 9:30am, swapping starts at 10:00am, and lunch will be at 11:30am or noon.

We often hold the swap at one of the local parks, but due to schedule conflict and other reasons, Cheryl has graciously volunteered to host this fall's swap at her house. She has a nice yard with plenty of shade and a big garage in case of rain.

Be sure to check out our website. There is more information on the FAQ page and an interactive map on the Map&Directions page. You can also prearrange swaps on the Forum page. You don't have to prearrange anything, but many people find it helpful to arrange at least some of their swaps before hand so that they get a better idea of what to bring and what to expect. We'll also have a potluck lunch, so bring your favorite picnic/finger-food dish.

If you don't have much to swap, PLEASE DON'T WORRY! We always seem to have an over abundance of neat stuff. Some of us are more interested in finding good homes for all our extras than really doing a lot of even swaps. If you haven't been to one of our swaps, you probably can't imagine how fun it can be. Come make new friends, see old ones, learn about plants you didn't even know existed, and get some of the best food around.

ps....We still haven't fixed the bug that prevents you from getting email from our website. So, when you sign up, you'll have to check back in a day or so to see if everything went through. The website cannot email you with a confirmation. Also, keep checking back for responses to any posts your make. You'll only know about responses or private messages if you log in and look. One day we'll figure out how to fix this!

Here is a link that might be useful: www.EastTnPlantSwap.com

Comments (12)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If anyone that hasn't already been on the ETPS website forum is trying to sign up, it will be a little over a week before I can sign on and approve memberships. I don't have access to the password right now, and the &%#$ site can't email it to me. Please be patient if you are new to the site!

• RedBird_7a EastTN
    12 years ago

If we registered on the ETPS site this past spring, do we need to register again to post on the page for the fall swap?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Nope. Just log right in and everything should work fine (unless you are out of town and forget your password, like me).

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Red_bird, I am back home, so if you are still having problems getting on, let me know. I can't remember what your screenname was last year on the ETPS site. There's no record of Red_bird, but maybe you went by another name? I remember you from the swap, but I just can't find your screenname.

• RedBird_7a EastTN
    12 years ago

Thanks so kindly, Brandon. I was able to log into the site, although I haven't posted my Have List. It is so meager this time that I'm a bit discouraged about it. I had really hoped to bring some young antique rose plants, but none of my cuttings made it. (I'm still trying to learn how to propogate roses.) But I do have a few things, including some nice magazines and pots as well as some common plants and (hopefully) some Cuban Oregano starts (a nice looking plant from the coleus family, but you can also cook with it).

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Red_bird,

You should start a new thread and tell us what went wrong with your rose cuttings. I know there are at least a couple of rose experts on here that could probably tell you what you could do to get better results. I have grown lots of different types of plants from cuttings, but haven't done roses (yet). I have heard they were supposed to be pretty easy though.

Don't worry about not being able to bring alot to the swap. The effort you made to grow the rose cuttings (which would have probably have gone over quite well) shows you tried. As long as you show up and give some poor little orphaned plants a home, you'll be fine. Maybe you can give the rose cuttings another go next spring.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's hard to believe, but the swap is just two weeks away!!!!

If you haven't posted your haves/wants (and you plan on doing so), now's the time.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.EastTnPlantSwap.com

• RedBird_7a EastTN
    12 years ago

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Good idea about a post, Brandon. After the swap I think I will post about my rose propogation attempt. I am determined to try again and hope to bring propogated roses to a future swap :)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If anyone here has gardening friends in the East Tennessee area that don't frequent the Tennessee Forum on Gardenweb, tell them about the plant swap this Saturday! It should be one of the most exciting plant-related events of the year!

• heathersgarden
    12 years ago

Hi guys! Thought I'd throw my two cents in.

Redbird, why not bring fresh cuttings to the swap? Then you're still sharing your roses with folks and giving them a chance to learn propagating themselves:)

One of these days, I'm gonna come to your swap!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Heather, why not come to this swap? We'll even let you give a talk on rose propagation (just kidding, unless you want to). But seriously, you should come and meet some of your fellow Gardenwebbers and eat some great food.

• heathersgarden
    12 years ago

I wish I could! I haven't even met any of y'all, but just chatting on GW, I feel like you're family:)

It is simply a matter of conflicting dates. Tomorrow I'm part of the Autumn Extravaganza in Murfreesboro, which I signed up for way back in May. There are a total of seven different cool things going on tomorrow and it kills me that I cant be everywhere at once. There's even a clearance sale out at Gardens Oy Vey in Memphis that I would dearly love to go to...

Maybe next spring! My friend Tiffany has been telling me all year how much I'd love it. Y'all have a great time tomorrow!!!