Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry tomato 'problem'

Posted by tcahalan z6 TN (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 27, 10 at 0:27

Hi all, quick question. In years past, my cherry tomatoes have gotten so big that they quickly outgrew whatever supports I had for them. Eventually they would flop over and I would just pull them out in frustration. Well, this year I thought I'd gotten more clever and I bought a metal arbor to grow them on. It worked great - they are growing amazingly well. This picture was taken in early July and now they have even outgrown the arbor, and are now so tall that I need to get a ladder out to pick them! If I cut them back radically, would they resprout in time to give me fruit before frost? My understanding is that they will keep growing until frost cuts them down, and at this rate they will take over my house by Halloween (our typical frost date). I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. what do you do?
thanks! Tina

Here is a link that might be useful: cherry tomatoes on arbor

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry tomato 'problem'

Not sure if they will produce fruit again...but if you wanted to extend your growing season, I can tell you this. The tops that you cut down can be put in a pot of soil and will grow new roots. You can then take this indoors once the frost arrives and still have access to fresh tomatoes for a little while. I have done this many times over the years - works great.

And you arbor is LOVELY!! I would love to try that out next summer - my daughter would be in tomato heaven. :D

o
RE: Cherry tomato 'problem'

Very neat idea for the tomato arbor! I may have to try that for my cherries next year. I would think that you could cut it back a little and get some reblooms and maybe some more fruiting. Our first frost isn't until the second half of October which may be enough time to get some more cherries. It all depends on the weather. If it gets too cool the tomatoes will stop producing but I know in the past I've had tomatoes until the end of October.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here