Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fatsia Japonica

Posted by myrtleoak z7 Knoxville (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 2:20

Have seen these grown alot in Atlanta area as well as in the UT trial gardens. Seems like success is very plausible for our area. Anyone have any personal experiences? I've seen it rated 7b, but this should work if youre in a metro area (I live in Knoxville).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fatsia Japonica

Hi Myrtleoak,

We are growing one and this is it's second season in the ground. The early freeze got it good as the new growth was coming out, but has recovered nicely. I live in NW Knoxville and it is planted on the north side of a storage barn under pine trees. It should be blooming here soon in the next month or so.

Rebecca

o

Mine were all totally killed by the late freeze following the unseasonably warm spell this spring. They were about a year old (not yet really established) and not with any protection besides mulch.

o

Where did you guys purchase yours? Plant spring or fall? Would a shady area between bamboo and my house work?

o

Myrtleoak,

True Blue Nursery (south of Myrtle Beach), planted ours in the spring, and probably.

Ours is planted in bright shade under tall pines and up against a structure. So far it has done terrific.

Doug
I3

o

Anyone know of a nursery here in Knoxville or close by that has them? Should have gotten one last time I was in Atlanta!

o

I think you can find them in the tropical plants at Lowes or HD occasionally. Haven't really looked closely!

o

I got my seeds from the seed swap forum here on Gardenweb.

o

Brandon, I tried at one time to grow some from seed and wasn't successful. Were the ones you lost grown from seed? If mine produces seed this year, I will be glad to share with anyone interested.

Rebecca

o

Yes, mine were from seed. I got about 85% germination. I would like to try more next year. My poor little seedlings just didn't stand a chance with that sudden late cold snap. They seemed to be doing well until then. I wasn't in town to take any of my stuff inside.

o

Hi friends
i need fatsia japonica fresh seeds to buy

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 12:34

Erus_grower,

Try one or more of these suppliers:

Seeds & More (excellent Garden Watchdog rating) http://www.seedsandmore.net/

J.L. Hudson, Seedsman (excellent Garden Watchdog rating) http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net/

Stokes Seeds (very good Garden Watchdog rating) http://www.stokeseeds.com/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here