Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
david3_gw

Wild Raspberries

David3
16 years ago

I recently moved near Murfreesboro from GA and have found some wild raspberry plants with new canes. Does anyone know if these wild ones normally produce any and decent fruit to make it worthwhile transplanting to my garden?

Comments (7)

• pineviewplanter
    16 years ago

I temporarily planted some in my cottage garden, with the intent of putting into a permanent bed. Well, I did transplant them. But, they do not produce enough fruit to be worth the trouble. No matter what I did, not much fruit. I got canes canes canes and more canes and healthy too. But not much fruit. And the horrible thing is.... now I got canes coming up alllllll oooooooooover my cottage garden and cannot get rid of them all. Worse than Johnson Grass they are.

Go and buy good healthy domestic canes. Those produce fruit.

PVP

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

I let a wild seedling come up and waited a year to test its potential. It is a great plant and was very productive this spring...and that after the Easter freeze that killed so many brambles of the cultivated variety.
    So my foundling will go into the garden with the tip rooted babies its making.
    But the move will happen in fall, not in this heat and drought.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Wild Raspberries are highly likely to have viruses. I would recommend eliminating all wild brambles within 600 feet or more of the garden site and planting certified, disease-free, virus-indexed new stock.

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

The wild raspberries you found are almost certainly wineberries, an invasive asian raspberry. They do produce small, good flavored fruits, but I would never want them in my garden.

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

I do know what the invasives look like and the difference between those and the natives.
    And re bramble viruses...I go by my copy of the Horst Compendium to be on the lookout for symptoms. And these are seed grown and the only harvested brambles for at least half a mile.

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

I have never seen wild raspberries in east TN, though I have seen several sources refer to the native blackberries as "black raspberries". I have also observed dewberries on the Cumberland Plateau, but never a mature red berry. Are the above mentioned raspberries red and, if so, are they a native variety or the exotic variety mentioned by kiwinut?

• kiwinut
    16 years ago

Black raspberries, Rubus occidentalis, is the only native raspberry in middle Tennessee. The american red raspberry is native to Tennessee, but only from high elevations (>4,000 ft) in the Unaka Mountains. Any red raspberries found "wild" in middle TN are almost certainly escaped from culitvation. The wineberries have a very distinctive red hairiness.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wineberry Pics

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH