Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shredded tree stump as mulch?

Posted by gretchenanne (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 07 at 8:04

We had some tree stumps ground down a few weeks ago and I'm debating whether or not to use the remains as mulch. I've heard it's fine; I've heard that when it decays it causes fungus and that it can attract termites. Has anyone done this, and has it worked? Or would you advise against it?

Thanks!
Gretchen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shredded tree stump as mulch?

If you do use it, let it compost for at least several months before you put it on your plants.

o

Thanks, amazindirt. If I use it my plan is to prep beds out front this fall with cardboard/newspaper, compost, and then the mulch, let them sit all winter, and plant in the spring.

o

If the trees died because of disease, the disease could be spread by using the stump for mulch. This may not be a major concern, but it's something you might consider if you know what killed the trees.

So far as the termites go, most types of wood mulch placed next to your home will potentially contribute to this problem. There's no reason that the stump mulch would invite termites more than the standard hardwood mulch you can purchase in bags or bulk.

The fungus shouldn't cause any problems except maybe for looks. All wood mulch produces fungus as it breaks down.

o

Weird, Amazindirt's post didn't show up until after I posted. Sometimes Gardenweb does weird things.....

Anyway, letting the stump mulch compost first could help with three things. First, if composted well, the potential for disease could be reduced. Second, less fungus would probably occur when the mulch was spread. Third, although usually not really an issue, the composted mulch would not tie up as much nitrogen form the top layer of soil.

o

I had a huge silver maple stump ground down. I put a lot of this material on a place where I do not want things growing. I am fighting paper mulberry on this spot.

So far (a month) it has not slowed the mulberry down. There are roots of hemlock, dogwood and crepe myrtle in the area also.

I am afraid the paper mulberry will out live me, and everyone else on the planet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here