Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bjacket

Best time to plant wildflower seed?...

bjacket
18 years ago

I am in Putnam County (upper Cumberland plateau) and am preparing a site in my backyard to plant wildflowers. I have researched this project for quite some time and finally decided to take the plunge. The site is about 10,000 square feet. There are 2 questions I am struggling with...is it better to plant seed in the fall or spring.For this area the information suggests either will work. One concern I have about the fall planting is that the area is sloped and I am concerned about losing seed to erosion or wash. I thought about a light mulch after rolling the seed bed but mulch seems to be discouraged.

My other question is...I have never done business with any of the seed companies that I have found on my internet searches. Can anyone recommend a reputable company or website (or even a particular mix or blend). I will not be using the generic "seed in a can" mixtures sold at local retailers. I would also prefer doing business with a local company if possible.The ideal mix for this application would be a mixture of plants that tend to grow to a lower height overall.

I have never posted here before but would really appreciate any ideas/suggestions/comments that you may have. Thanks!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting