Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best time to plant wildflower seed?...

Posted by BJacket zone 6 Mid Tn (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 20, 05 at 10:15

I am in Putnam County (upper Cumberland plateau) and am preparing a site in my backyard to plant wildflowers. I have researched this project for quite some time and finally decided to take the plunge. The site is about 10,000 square feet. There are 2 questions I am struggling with...is it better to plant seed in the fall or spring.For this area the information suggests either will work. One concern I have about the fall planting is that the area is sloped and I am concerned about losing seed to erosion or wash. I thought about a light mulch after rolling the seed bed but mulch seems to be discouraged.
My other question is...I have never done business with any of the seed companies that I have found on my internet searches. Can anyone recommend a reputable company or website (or even a particular mix or blend). I will not be using the generic "seed in a can" mixtures sold at local retailers. I would also prefer doing business with a local company if possible.The ideal mix for this application would be a mixture of plants that tend to grow to a lower height overall.

I have never posted here before but would really appreciate any ideas/suggestions/comments that you may have. Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best time to plant wildflower seed?...

I saw a great little segment on Rebecca's Garden regarding the sowing of native wildflowers. They said to make "mud balls". I couldn't find the segment description on the Internet, but I did find this great How-To document on how to make wildflower seed mud balls:

http://www.wildflower.org/?nd=articles_grd&view=full&key=15

o

I would (just a guess ) think planting in spring. Less loss
of your seed. Better chance of germination. On the other
hand mother nature sows in the fall.
Norman

o

The mud balls website says to throw them in fall and they will gently break down over winter, covering the seeds naturally and creating the perfect growing environment for the seeds. Also, the mud ball method discourages birds from eating the seeds as they can't really get to them.

Finally, many wildflower seeds actually need the freeze and thaw of winter to deteriorate their tough seed coats so they can properly germinate in early spring.

o

i had good luck with these guys, but please keep in mind i've only done 'wild' seeds once....

http://www.wildseedfarms.com/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here