Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy pawpaw fruits?

Posted by sdrawkcab (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 10:40

This isn't directly garden related but it this seems like a group of folks who might know-

I'm curious about pawpaws but I don't want to invest all the energy in growing one just to discover that I don't like them. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy a couple pawpaw fruits locally? I live in Knoxville but I'm open to sugestions anywhere in east tennessee or the surrounding region.

Thanks in advance,
-Ryan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy pawpaw fruits?

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 7, 08 at 11:32

Ryan, I'm not sure where to buy them. A lot of people grow them, so you might be able to get a sample that way. If you are over at the UT Arboretum in Oak Ridge when those are ripe, you're welcome to take a sample or two. The ones there are seedlings resulting from a study. They should be a bit larger than your average pawpaw fruit, and there's a decent chance that they will taste at least OK.

One key thing to keep in mind though, is that different varieties are going to be different (like apples). If you decide to grow one, a good named cultivar would be more likely to produce good fruit than a seedling.

o

Here's an outfit that sells and ships fresh pawpaw fruit, in season

Here is a link that might be useful: Integration Acres

o

I heard the other day that Krogers is selling them. I haven't checked it out yet myself, but that seems like a good place to start!

o

Rocky Point Farm in Rhode Island ships them for a reasonable cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rocky Point Farm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here