Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cfb123_gw

Fill Dirt delivered to Spring Hill - fair priced source?

cfb123
12 years ago

Hi:

I need about 1/2 cubic yard of fill dirt delivered, and if possible, dumped into what used to be a pond in my backyard. I've no help to shovel the dirt into the hole and really would rather not have to do it if I absolutely don't have to.

Since I've never "dirt shopped" before (lol) I am wondering if any of you can recommend a source for something like this? Just would like a little feedback so I know what is considered "fair" price-wise as opposed to exorbitant.

I have looked on Craigslist and know of a place here in town, but would like to see what you all might have to say.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (7)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

I'm not at all familiar with Spring Hill, but at least here in Knoxville there are many many local mulch/landscape-materials type places that sell small quantities of dirt and will deliver it. I'd stop by two or three of those landscape-materials places and get quotes.

• cfb123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, thanks for suggestion. I am aware of those sort of places, but was hoping that maybe someone could steer me towards another source that might not be as easy to find online, etc. but might offer a little better price/service.

• Dave Townsend
    12 years ago

You can't necessarily pick and choose quality with this suggestion but I've seen ads on Craigslist for fill dirt wanted before. With all the construction in our area there are bound to be a few builders looking for a site to dump "topsoil". If you find someone you may want to come back with a few loads of organic material (compost) and mix it in the top 10 inches or so with your soil. Most of what the builders take off isn't so great to start from. But at least you have the possibility of some free dirt.

• heathersgarden
    12 years ago

I live here in Spring Hill, and several years ago I bought topsoil from Beasley's. I was very unhappy. It was full of trash and weed seeds. If I had it to do over again I'd load up with quality compost or even start with plain pine mulch and let it compost down. It is imperative to go and inspect what you're going to buy.

Another possibility: instead of filling in the old pond dugout, maybe consider turning it into a bog or rain garden. Then all the money you'd otherwise spend on dirt can go into plants:) Good luck!

• cfb123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dvtown: Yup - I did check Craigslist - will double check again for "free", but did find 3 sources that might be able to help me. Had already called them this morning.

Heather: I'm kind of laughing here about what you said about Beasley's, because I too had a really bad experience a few years ago with what was supposed to be some good composted soil that turned out to be so "uncomposted" that what I planted into it died within a week. The only thing I can say on Beasley's behalf is that they refunded the price of the soil, I KNOW that due to their quick refund I couldn't have been the only unsatisfied customer coming in to report the same problem. It's like they were ready to just hand over money when I walked in to tell them about my situation! Anyway ... they are the closest source but didn't want to go there for this project. ;)

And though I'd love it keep a water feature of some sort in the spot, I can't turn it into anything other than a new planting area - I am putting this home on the market asap and filling it in is the best and easiest thing for me to do, financially and otherwise.

• bigorangevol
    12 years ago

Check your local cemetery. They always have plenty of free fill dirt but you'll have to load it in your own truck.

• cfb123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for idea.

**NOTE - this thread is closed (don't know how to do that on GardenWeb) as I have completed this project.