Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyl121261

Crepe Myrtles

sandyl
11 years ago

Did not see a forum for crepe myrtles so i'll ask my Tenn gardening friends. Oh by the way, I hope you all are going well. As for me I'm ready for a little cool down time myself. Who am I kidding,I'm ready for old man frost, bring it on. Ok back to reality, so here's my question, I purchased 2 Dynamite red crepe myrtles this week and they are currently in 2gal pots and both currently have just two main trunks each and I'll be putting them in the ground shortly, they both are about 4 foot tall right now. I don't plan to trim them until next spring but how do I trim them next spring to make them put how more main trunks? do I cut every thing down to ground level next spring so they put out new spouts? I would like for each to have at least 4 or 5 main trunks when they mature. I realize this process is going to take several years to accomplish and that's fine. I just don't know how to make that first important pruning and accomplish what I want over the long haul. I have read about how to prun them once they are large but not how I prun then as newly planted. My guess is cut-em down flush to the ground. Please help before I do some stupid and tee totally mess up.

Comments (2)