Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tcahalan_gw

questions: foxgloves & trident maples

tcahalan
15 years ago

Hello all, I am mosty a lurker but always appreciate the very helpful and cheerful advice I get when I do post! I have two more questions:

First - I planted foxgloves for the first time this year - last fall actually. I was so happy with how they came up and performed. However, they have basically petered out now - a few small flower stalks but that's it. I know they are biennials, so I there's no point in keeping the plant anymore, right? I guess I'm just having a hard time pulling up a perfectly healthy plant -- I keep hoping it will just decide to be a perennial and bloom for me next year! So, I need to pull it up, right?

Second, We planted 4 Trident Maples in the strip between our sidewalk and the road in the fall of 06. When we had the frost last spring (as they budded out the first time) - they got nipped pretty hard, and then the drought last year was rough on them - we used gator bags and helped them limp through. This year 2 of them (one especially) have lots of long branches with no leaves or twigs from the trunk up to the tips,and only leaves on the ends. They are fairly full and look otherwise healthy, but the leaves on the ends make if these branches droop - it almost looks like a weeping tree. I'd say about 25% of the branches look like this. The rest are fine. I'm just wondering - will they eventualy recover? Will these branches ever look normal? Is there any way to prune them so they look better?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions -

Tina

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting