Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
behaviorkelton

Darn! Bought an Orchid Tree. Too cold?

behaviorkelton
16 years ago

Wow, I'm posting a lot these days. Ok...

I was swept up in the Kmart sale... most of their stuff was gone, but they had this $99 Orchid tree marked down to $18... so I bought it knowing nothing about Orchid trees.

It was probably overpriced to start, but I thought I'd give it a try at $18.

So I get home and see that the minimum zone for this tree is zone 8b!

So is this tree no good for this area (Knoxville.. Holston Hills)?... or is there something I can do to make it tolerate the winter?

Does a cold winter simply knock it back, or does it kill it completely?

So many questions lately.

Comments (4)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Normally Orchid Tree refers to Bauhinia purpurea which is hardy to zone 9 or 9B. Without extremely special care and a bit of luck, it will die completely if left outside here. Even with our new weather patterns, we are at best equivalent to zone 8a.

If you want a challenge, talk to one of the "tropical people" on here and get them to tell you what they would recommend on special care. I'm not even sure they would try this one outside.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Oh goody, a lab rat! :-D

These are indeed bauhinia -- I saw em at KMart. They are supposedly not hardy -- BUT -- it's always interesting to try pushing zones. :-)

Try treating it like a half-hardy banana or palm tree. Some people successfully leave these outside by wrapping Christmas tree lights around them for warmth, then wrapping them in various insulating materials. And of course you'll want to plant it in a sheltered area, protected from cold winds.

For $18, it'll be an interesting experiment. Report back on your success or lack thereof!

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

Might make a nice patio specimen:) If you really like the effect of this shrub, an Althea or chaste tree may be a hardier substitute. I have also seen hardy gardenias planted around, though it seems that I have killed mine. 9a seems too much of a stretch (even for me), but I would love to see you prove me wrong!

PS If you have any interest in pushing hardiness zones, there are several people on here that would be glad to help!

• christnpalm
    16 years ago

I really don't think that you'll have much luck with an unestablished one unless you are ready to give it some fairly significant heat assistance. It's trunk will start to die some where around 25f. I'd say you'd have a chance for a re-sprout if you give the root ball a pretty thick layer of mulch with some plastic over it to keep away excess moisture.

It would probably be a lot easier and far more reliable if you could bring the tree indoors in the winter or in your garage if you can keep it from freezing. I've never grown this plant but, these protection methods will work for a lot of tender plants.

Chris

Sponsored