Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dvtown

What's Your Shed Like?

Dave Townsend
14 years ago

I've been researching sheds lately. I want to build one sometime in the near future. Maybe not until spring but I want to start planning and collecting some materials now. What would be great is if you could post a picture of your shed here for inspiration and maybe tell me what you like and don't like about it. My goal is to have a unique and extremely function shed that blends into our landscape!

Comments (10)

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

Ours is 10' x 20'. I built it on a 2:1 scale so we could cut the 4' x 8' plywood sheets and have next to no waste.

Email me and I'll shoot you some pics - I can't figure out how to post pics on here; I'm too stupid!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

If you have a digital camera, taking pictures and downloading them onto your computer is the hardest part. Getting them on here is easy. One of the simplest ways to provide your photo to be embedded into a post is to upload it onto an image hosting site such as Photobucket, Flickr, etc. That should be pretty straight forward, and the individual sites will give instructions on how to get your photos uploaded to their site when you sign up.

Once your picture has been uploaded, find its web address by right clicking on the image and copying the image location. Some sites may even provide the address in a text box below the photo for your convenience.

Let's say, as an example, that the address of the picture you want to post is http://somepicturesite.com/yourpicture.jpg

To embed the picture into a post, use the command
    img src="http://somepicturesite.com/yourpicture.jpg">;

Note that I had to use special characters to get the command above to show up here without turning into a picture, but you can use it as shown (with the correct image location, of course).

• burwoodbelle
    14 years ago

Hi Jeff here is another stupid picture poster.LOL-LOL.
    Could you send me pict. of your shed/ it is about the size I want. been to lowes &home depot and a couple of places that build them kind of $$$$$$$$$$ if you know what I mean.

PAT. leapinglena@bellsouth.net

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

Not so much a shed as a barn but it's all mine!

(Or at least it was until my son moved in for a while...)

36'x36' with an upstairs and one of these days an integrated green house. (Click for more pics)

• Dave Townsend
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would love to have a barn like that! I don't think I have the room though! I have several patio doors I plan to incorporate into it as a greenhouse. 5 total plus a few windows from my parents house after they redid their windows.

Those sheds at HD and Lowe's just seem too cheaply put together for how much they cost.

If anyone else doesn't want to post pictures you can email them to me at dvtown@gmail.com and I can post them for you.

• burwoodbelle
    14 years ago

WOW JOE'' Thats a nice barn.I am think more like 10x16
    maybe 10x20 no loft maybe 2 windows.

PAT.

• Dave Townsend
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jeff for the pictures! It looks great. I love the look of a red barn.

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

David as best as I can remember (which ain't all that good considering it was almost 7 years ago), it took 10 sheets of 3/4" tongue-n-groove exterior plywood siding for the front and sides; 27 sheets of regular exterior 3/4" plywood for the roof and floor; about 400' of 2x4's for the stud walls and trusses; 225' of 2x8's for floor joists and wrap; 3.5 squares of felt and shingles for the gambrel roof; all the 1x2 & 1x4 trims pieces; 75' of drip edge; a couple of gallons of paint; frame and roofing nails; a couple of vents and the door hardware. (I have a single door in the front and double doors in the back.) We put it up on piers rather than a slab because everybody's surface water runs into our yard and I didn't want to deal with rot 5-10 years down the road

Because it was so long ago the material price was only around $1,000. The way prices have jumped, it may be double that now. The labor was free 'cause Dad and I built it. The cool thing is that since all the sides and roof are done in 4x4 sections you can pre-fab it and just tack it in.

If you bought one at a box store and had it delivered the price would likely be in excess of $5K. I can guarantee that the materials they use would be cheaper than the one's we used! They won't use 2x8's - they would use 2x4's; their plywood siding and roof decking would be 7/16" OSB; everything would be on 24" centers rather than 16's and you would only have one large 4x8 door. They would roof it with a 20-year shingle rather than a 25-year too. That doesn't include leveling - they charge extra for that! To get one exactly like ours Home Depot would charge a minimum of $6-7K I'm sure. Stay away from the "kits", they are garbage!!!

We knocked it out in less than a week and I was working 40-50 hours so most of it was done in the afternoons and on the weekend as I recall. If I'd had a couple of framing guns at the time it would have gone a lot quicker! It was a nice and fun little project for us.

• Dave Townsend
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again Jeff for the great info! I'm planning on doing the work myself and not from any kit. I've assembled some various parts like windows and patio doors. We just had our house's patio door replaced so I'll use that somehow. I'll be going with piers for the same reason and since its a lot cheaper than a concrete foundation.

I hope the prices on material are cheaper recently since the housing market has skidded to a stop. I'm also going to take a look on Freecycle and Craigslist for parts to help drop the price. I need to take a trip up to the Habitat Home Store in Nashville and see what kind of treasure I can find there.

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

Craigslist, Freecycle and Habitat are GREAT resources!!!

Material prices always go up during the tornado and hurricane seasons - guess what we're fixing to enter? Plywood, lumber and shingles are going to start increasing between now and next May; you can bank on it! All we need are a few catastrophe's up North, on the Pacific coast, in the Gulf or in the Midwest. Really it only takes one.

It's like egg, milk and bread at Kroger when they are predicting snow.