Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best place to buy dogwoods around Knoxville

Posted by chisey TN (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 16:06

I'm taking down a maple tree that's too close to my driveway (roots are already surfacing and I don't want to deal with damage to the driveway). It's going to be replaced by two dogwoods, but I don't know the best place to look for them and the time to plant is coming relatively soon.

Thoughts? I don't want to pay too terribly much but I'm also looking to avoid the pot-bound garbage you often get at the big box stores.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best place to buy dogwoods around Knoxville

You should not have any problems finding your dogwood of choice at any of the Knoxville area nurseries! I have found dogwoods to be a little finicky so wait until closer to spring to plant rather than fall. January has been a good time for our plantings to begin in Sevier County, finishing by no later than 1st of April.

Stanley's Greenhouse carry the 'Appalacian Spring' cultivars that are anthracnose resistant. You might look at these for your landscape.

I have found that the box stores can have some pretty decent plants. You have to be sure to purchase early though and leave the dogs for the end of season discount bin (if they survive that long!).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here