Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall plantings-question to the experts.

Posted by utdeedee 7A (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 16:30

Question:
With this hot weather we're having, should I wait to plant fall greens and cabbage family veggies or follow the fall plant guides?

Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall plantings-question to the experts.

I'm not sure what to do on fall plantings yet either. I'm going to go ahead in my main garden and put out some early stuff and see how it goes. I'm going to put out carrot seed, onion seed and probably cabbage. Thinking that maybe we will cool off just enough by the time they germinate they might survive. I love greens but I think I'll hold off till first of next week. They really don't like hot temperatures at all from my experience. Even if they are put in shady areas and pampered, heat affects the taste. Fortunately by this year I have alot of room for both standard and raised beds, so I'm going to plant different areas over the next month and hope for the best.

o

I am doing my root veggies in the shade next week.Lots of water in the evening by son--in-law.

o

My greens are up and ready to eat. They may be pre cooked in the garden. Just wash and serve. Took lots of water to get them where they are today. Thank goodness for a good well.
Norm

o

I planted mine Sunday. We'll see what happens. Hoping for lettuce, mustard and kale......by the sounds of yours I should have went ahead and planted mine. What type of greens did you plant?

o

I have turnips and mustard, The store didn't have kale seed this year for some reason.

o

My lettuce and greens are coming up really good.. Looking forward to having some in a few weeks. Glad to see it cool off a bit and even a little bit of ran, which has helped the tomatoes and peas and squash.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here