Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
made_in_the_shade

New to Forum! Anyone want Swamp Milkweed/Anyone have Cimicifuga?

Made_In_The_Shade
11 years ago

Hello! I'm new to join the forum but I've learned a lot by reading other people's posts on here, so I figured I ought to just join already! A little about me: in my 30's, am an avid outdoorswoman and I have always loved gardening but I have only recently been able to indulge in a garden when I bought my first house in Knoxville 3 years ago. I have a huge amount of shade, of varying intensities, and I have created a cottage style perennial garden to go with the 1930's cottage. I will often try to force things where they don't really belong, and have had decent success doing so...my roses, cannas, salvias, caryopteris, buddleia, coneflowers, monarda, gallardia, heck--even lavender--gamely put on a show even though they get only part sun at best. I have an Asclepias tuberosa that I rescued and put in 2 years ago that flowers just fine, but the A. incarnata I bought (with actual money! Yikes!) at that same time does nothing. It gets really tall and leggy and frankly kinda ugly, and doesn't flower. I think it's time to rehome it where it will get more sun. If anyone wants it at the swap in October I can dig it (and hope it survives the treatment...I believe they don't transplant well?). Also, on my fantasy wish list is the fairly expensive Cimicifuga "Hillside Black Beauty", but again I hear it doesn't take to divisions/disturbance very well. Does anyone have experience with Black Beauty, and/or have a division they want to swap?

Thanks for reading!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional