Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Forum! Anyone want Swamp Milkweed/Anyone have Cimicifuga?

Posted by Made_In_The_Shade East Tennessee (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 19:32

Hello! I'm new to join the forum but I've learned a lot by reading other people's posts on here, so I figured I ought to just join already! A little about me: in my 30's, am an avid outdoorswoman and I have always loved gardening but I have only recently been able to indulge in a garden when I bought my first house in Knoxville 3 years ago. I have a huge amount of shade, of varying intensities, and I have created a cottage style perennial garden to go with the 1930's cottage. I will often try to force things where they don't really belong, and have had decent success doing so...my roses, cannas, salvias, caryopteris, buddleia, coneflowers, monarda, gallardia, heck--even lavender--gamely put on a show even though they get only part sun at best. I have an Asclepias tuberosa that I rescued and put in 2 years ago that flowers just fine, but the A. incarnata I bought (with actual money! Yikes!) at that same time does nothing. It gets really tall and leggy and frankly kinda ugly, and doesn't flower. I think it's time to rehome it where it will get more sun. If anyone wants it at the swap in October I can dig it (and hope it survives the treatment...I believe they don't transplant well?). Also, on my fantasy wish list is the fairly expensive Cimicifuga "Hillside Black Beauty", but again I hear it doesn't take to divisions/disturbance very well. Does anyone have experience with Black Beauty, and/or have a division they want to swap?
Thanks for reading!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Forum! Anyone want Swamp Milkweed/Anyone have Cimicifu

Welcome to Gardenweb! I don't know why this forum is so slow this year. It used to be busier. The Trees Forum, where I hang out most of the time, is still hopping with activity, but this forum has slowed way down.

As for transplanting Asclepias incarnata, I think you'll find that it's much easier than transplanting A tuberosa. It does need lots of sun, so maybe that's why yours is not doing as well. A incarnata is naturally more tall and lanky than tuberosa, so you shouldn't expect it to have similar form. It should flower though.

Cimicifuga 'Hillside Black Beauty' is a really pretty plant, but do realize that it's patented. Growing unauthorized divisions would be illegal. If someone had it and no longer wanted it, they could turn over the entire plant to you, but they legally couldn't give you a division while continuing to grow the original plant. The legal issue of this plant may be like running a stopsign in the middle of the desert, where you can see that there are no cars in the surrounding miles, but I thought you still might want to know.

Hope to see you at the swap. The fall swaps are typically a little smaller than the spring swaps, but we should have around 20 or so if things go as normal. We always have PLENTY of plants in need of a good home!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here