Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pollyanna

Posted by missem 7 west TN (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 15, 07 at 20:29

The heat and drought in the Memphis area are horrible - however, there are some benefits
1) The rotten squirrels that ate the few peaches that survived the spring freeze seem to be thinning out. I hope the little buggers all die. (However, I do hope my big red squirrel who lives in the woods makes it okay)
2) The cowbirds that have been after the figs seem to have disappeared the last couple of days. Maybe it got too hot for them. They are vile creatures.
3) I think the ground finally got too hard for the blasted moles that had trenched up the yard. Good riddance!
4) My husband found a snake skin in the woods - 6 feet 9 inches long! Do you think the evil thing may die in this heat? If I were to run up on that thing while out for a walk, I think I would croak.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pollyanna

Hey -- you ought to be cheering that snake and his obviously healthy appetite! ;-)

o

The squirrels seemed to have thinned out in my yard too.
A couple remain, but I rarely see them.

I have a large flock of starlings. How do these things survive? I have had bird die-off of other species in my yard.

I have a family of skunks that try to dig up the moles. The skunks run me out of the yard...

As long as your snake is NOT a copperhead, cottonmouth, or rattler I invite it into my yard.

o

lol, here's a little pollyanna for you.

Four of my five 50+ foot tall pin oaks have lost all their leaves from the snap freeze followed by the drought and recent heat. My yard looks more like it's the middle of november rather than august...it's tragic.

However, on the bight side of things, I can get a huge jump start on my composting for the season...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here