Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
behaviorkelton

What did we learn from that late freeze?

behaviorkelton
16 years ago

Not long after that late freeze, we all noticed the devastating effects on the new growth... it was pretty darn ugly.

Many trees stayed brown long after they should have been fully flushed out with their spring growth.

Listening to local talk shows, even the experts weren't sure if the trees were going to recover for the summer... or even if many of them would live.

Adding insult to injury was the subsequent drought. I was not looking forward to all of the chain saw racket as dead trees were going to undoubtedly be removed.

So it seems that the trees managed to recover although I suspect they are stressed to some extent.

The crepe myrtles looked truly dead all around my part of Knoxville, and they stayed "dead" for quite a while.

Fortunately they made it, although you can see that parts of their limbs, in some instances, did indeed die.

So what were the implications of the warm winter, cold spring, and drought? Any interesting lessons? and...

This is going to be a regular thing is it?

Thanks

Comments (6)

• stackpopper
    16 years ago

gosh, i thought i lost my crepes. two still look anemic.

and i didn't get one peach. all the blossoms got killed.

what did i learn? don't count your chickens....

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

I learned that container gardening is a GOOD THING. I simply carried in most of my tender plants -- my house was FULL of pots for a couple of days! I only lost one out of five Japanese maples -- and that one was killed because it was in the biggest pot, and I decided not to take it in. Lesson #2 -- take even the big pots inside when you need to!

• behaviorkelton
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was fortunate in that I was too lazy to plant four or five crepe myrtles in late winter... so they stayed in pots.

Then - the cold snap - I was able to bring them in along with a number of other plants.

They are now four times as big as they were a few months ago. Amazing. (Natchez Crepes) I went back to "Stanley's" (garden center in Knoxville) to buy more, and their crepes were devastated. They were alive, but really beaten.

• anntn6b
    16 years ago

There are two threads on the Antique Rose Forum that are about the devastation to our roses and to other plants as well.
    I don't know if it was the freeze or the drought, but some of our large and old trees have lost major limbs, not in wind storms but in quiet weather, just healthy looking limbs dropped off. (Not even rotted at the center of the trees limbs). Thistles were set back and are blooming very close to the ground.
    I see a lot more dead trees on the steep slope on the the other side of the Holston river and as many dead trees on the cliff opposite the UT garden as I used to see back when I was in grad school. There are some trees that have leafed out, but not densely and they stand out at the tops of hills and along fencelines.
    Our poison ivy, horse nettle, poke weed and johnson grass has never looked better.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Boy, *my* roses haven't been devastated. One of the benefits of living in the nice warm middle of town. :-)

• utdeedee
    16 years ago

The weather this year has really be devastating as has already been discussed. I am concerned about what the winter brings.

My 3 crepe myrtles lost some limbs but are now blooming.
    Both of my rose bushes lost limbs. One is a yellow climber and it lost all but 2 limbs and I have had to cut it back drastically. It has had only 3 blooms. The other one I had to cut back to the ground but it has come back somewhat.

The drought is really hard on the veggie garden. Even with me watering 3-4 times a week I see distress. You can only water so much. It hasn't affected the zuchini though. I've had about 4 bushel off of 3 plants. It looks like it was fed steroids. :)

The only thing that seems to like the drought is my black eye susans. They are blooming profusely...

I drive Pellissippi Pkwy. every day and off in the distance you see quite a few of yellowed trees and the daffodils did not bloom along there this year as they have in the past.

Lets hope we get lots of slow rain soon.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH