Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

**** Fall 2012 East Tennessee Plant Swap ****

brandon7 TN_zone7
11 years ago

The Fall 2012 East Tennessee Plant Swap will be held at New Harvest Park, 4775 New Harvest Lane, Knoxville, TN 37918 on Saturday, October 6, 2012. This is a very nice park, and I think many will be glad to hear we were able to get reservations this time. Setup will begin at 9:30am. Swapping will begin at 10:00am. We will have a pot-luck lunch at around 11:30am or noon. More details, including a map, can be found on our website linked below.

If you want to prearrange swaps, check out the Swap Forum on the website. You can let people know what you plan to bring, find out what others are interested in, post what you would be interested in getting, and find out what others are buzzing about. You don't have to arrange pre-trades at all, but doing so can be advantageous and fun.

*** There is no cost to attend the swap, but a small donation would help us cover the cost of renting the pavilion and help cover web hosting costs. A couple of bucks per swapper, with a maximum of five dollars per family would be greatly appreciated. ***

Please see the FAQ section of the website for more details, or ask here.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.EastTnPlantSwap.com

Comments (11)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The swap is just one month away! Do you have your Haves and your Wants Lists posted? If not, now's the best time!

We sure hope to see many of you at the swap! If you are a new gardener, without much to bring, don't worry; there's always plenty of great plants needing a home and lots of friendly gardeners willing to help get you addicted to, (I mean started with) growing stuff!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's just 17 days away (if I counted right)!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's next Saturday. We hope to see many of you there!

• Tn_Tree_Man
    11 years ago

Brandon,

I plan on attending my first one, however, I do not have anything ready to trade yet (Spring 2013 should have some plants). Is it against "plant swap etiquette" to receive and not give the first time?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, that's fine. Many of us actually use these events to find homes for excess plants that we don't want to compost. Some of the swappers may expect something in return for their plants, but at least some don't. I'm always happy just to find a good home for a deserving plant that I can no longer have room for.

It's really hard to put this into words, but, as long as you aren't "greedy" (this is rare at the swaps, but has been known to happen before), many of us will be more than happy to share with you. Also, just meeting fellow local GardenWebbers can be a blast!

• RedBird_7a EastTN
    11 years ago

I am really looking forward to the swap on Saturday. In the meantime, I attended a well-presented "Propogating from Cuttings" workshop this evening. While it won't impact my offering for this swap (my things will come mostly from divisions), hopefully it means I will have a few more things to share at the spring swap!

• Tn_Tree_Man
    11 years ago

I may have some starts of some hardy begonia (Begonia grandis) if some may have interest.

Brandon--this way I will not have to come empty handed to the swap!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Red bird, can I take that as an offer to put on a presentation for us? (-;

Tree Man, I think there'd be interest in those, and especially if you know the cultivar ID or if they are somewhat unusual types. Even if not though, I'm pretty sure you'd have some takers. I've wanted to have a collection of begonias ever since I saw a really impressive collection at a botanical garden.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's tomorrow (Saturday)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We had a wonderful time today. Considering the amount of people, I think trades went very well. My goal, as usual, was to find homes for a truck-load of plants, and I just about accomplished that goal. I think most of us were pretty satisfied with the results.

The morning started off with rain, and I think that may have scared some of our potential attendees away. By swap time, the rain was completely gone, but the cold started moving in. Within a few hours it started getting just plain uncomfortably cold! Some people had brought appropriate clothing; I arrived in shorts and a t-shirt...brrrrr.

All together we had at least 15 attendees (below average, for sure). Some left early, some arrived late. Seven attendees were first-timers. I know of a few regulars that were unable to attend due to health or family issues, but I still think we were missing too many. Maybe the weather was just too bad for some.

Lunch was grab-and-go, mostly because everyone was getting too cold to sit down and eat. The conversations were interesting and fun, and I think everyone had a great time.

• RedBird_7a EastTN
    11 years ago

I had a great time at the swap, despite the dreary weather. I enjoyed being with the other East TN gardeners very much. As before, I feel so fortunate to have received wonderful plants and to learn new things - something new at every swap. We appreciated getting several new things for the school garden, too. Thanks to all who attended.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?