Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

***** Fall 2010 East Tennessee Plant Swap *****

brandon7 TN_zone7
13 years ago

The Fall 2010 East Tennessee Plant Swap will be at Tyson Park (same place as we had the spring swap this year) on Saturday October 2. Setup will begin at 9:30 and swapping will begin at 10:00. We'll have a sit-down-and-get-to-know-your-fellow-gardeners pot luck lunch at 12:00.

Besides moving the day back to Saturday and reinstating the full pot luck lunch, there is one other huge difference this time. As many of you know, Laura our webmaster passed away. She designed, implemented, maintained, and hosted our website. We are working to transfer the site, but that won't be done in time for this swap. We have decided to use the Tennessee Gardening Exchanges Forum to post pretrades this time. The forum doesn't seem to be used much any more, so it shouldn't impede traffic or cause much confusion.

Just to make sure there is minimal chance for confusion and to make things uniform, we'd like to ask that you label your thread (initial post) with "Fall 2010 ETPS" followed by your screenname or name or whatever. For instance, my thread will be "Fall 2010 ETPS Brandon7's List". Without all the edit features and so forth, the lists won't be nearly as handy (to say the least), but hopefully they'll work in this pinch we're in. We are going to try hard to get the system back up and going for the spring swap.

If you have any questions, at all, please feel free to email me!

Comments (31)

• krikit
    13 years ago

Hey Brandon, this is terrific news. I like swapping on Saturday so that we can get an earlier start but appreciate your consideration of folks attending church when setting the later time for swaps that are on Sunday. Can't really thank you enough for all that you do - you really put a lot into making these swaps a success.

It will be very sad without Laura at the swap - she is indeed greatly missed.

Frances

• tlfox
    13 years ago

Yay - I was so worried that I was going to miss the swap. I kept hearing that it was the third sunday in October - and we are leaving for DC that day. I will be barely squeaking in the MTPS...LOL.

I can't wait for the swap. I hope some of the cuttings of my coral honeysuckle root by then.

Most everything that I got from the spring swap has survived and is thriving - I had a few that just couldn't handle the lack of rain and as much as I tried to keep everything watered, they just couldn't handle it. But I am not giving up! And my water gardens - holy moly - Karen and a very nice lady that I do not remember her name but she gave me BAGS of Louisiana iris of every color - my water gardens were BEAUTIFUL!!!

Thanks for the update Brandon - now I can go back to getting things ready for both swaps. This news has really made my day.

And I am with Frances - I only met Laura in the spring - but she was so nice, she will be missed.

Tiffany

• karenrf
    13 years ago

Hi guys.
    Good to see the swappers are finding the forum here.
    Hopefully Brandon will be able to get the website transferred in time for spring.

Tiffany, I'm so glad your water garden is doing well.
    I know what you mean about the heat. Some of my plants haven't done well this year either....even with watering.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, Frances outsmarted me. She has a thread in the Tennessee Exchange Forum, but it refers to her Gardenweb Exchange List instead of listing her items directly into the thread. The huge advantage is that you can edit the list as time goes by, new items become available, and listed items are spoken for. Common sense, but I didn't think of it. As Homer Simpson says...D'oh!

• krikit
    13 years ago

Well Brandon, wish I could pride myself in that a bit, but the truth is that was a desperation move - when I first started thinking about how to list my post I had flashbacks of some really stupid posts I've made here in the past and how embarrassed I was til it would drift off into cyberspace. So with that in mind, I kept thinking and thinking about it and decided the exchange list might be a better option for me. And a good thing too because I'm already seeing some things I need to correct. So, I didn't outsmart - I just have the greater need for editing, and you know what they say about necessity, ha! I'm glad to see there are some posts getting started!!!!

• tlfox
    13 years ago

alrighty - I have updated my plants and seeds for trade that I am sure of for now. I hope to be adding more in the next week or two. To those that I have already worked out a trade - I will add them to my list in the next few days. Life has been hectic and I am ready for it to slow down!

Tiffany

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tiffany, I noticed you don't have a thread started on the Exchange Forum (linked below for your convenience). You may want to do that so others can make request that are viewable by other swappers (like on our old site). I guess you could just depend on Gardenweb email and diligent updating of your trade list, but I think starting a thread (as described above) might be more effective and easy. It will also be easier for people to find your list. Without an exchange thread, people would have to read your above post and remember to check your list.

I'll sure be glad if/when we get our old site back up and going. One never knows how easy they have it until their world gets rearranged.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tennessee Gardening Exchange Forum

• tlfox
    13 years ago

Thanks Brandon - I just did what I did here for the spring swap for MTPS. Perhaps that is why I haven't been able to find anyone...LOL.

I will go check it out now. :D And yeah - I do hope we get the other site back - it was lovely.

Tiffany

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

To everyone:

If you haven't checked the exchanges page, take a look. We haven't gotten nearly as much action as we normally get on our own site, but a few have posted lists. If you are coming and plan to post a pretrade list, please consider doing so soon.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here are some pictures of the Spring swap. I don't remember if we already posted them on Gardenweb.

{{gwi:1289276}}

{{gwi:1289277}}

{{gwi:1289278}}

{{gwi:1289279}}

{{gwi:1289280}}

• karenrf
    13 years ago

Brandon, your things always are so nice and neat and labeled well.

I can see my DH hiding behind my plants in the last photo. ;)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I added a **Food for Potluck** thread in the Exchange Forum.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just nine more days till the world-renowned plant and gardening extravaganza!!!

• tlfox
    13 years ago

YAY!!! I am so excited!!! And apparently my excitedness has rubbed off - I have a friend in AL that is going to dig up a few things from her garden and come up to see what has had me buzzing all summer. :D

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hope everyone will tell friends and fellow gardeners. We should have plenty of room for new swappers!

• karenrf
    13 years ago

Can't wait!
    But I don't think I'm going to have as much to bring this time as I did in the spring.

**BTW folks, I wanted to point out that the shelter does cost to rent and Brandon pays for that when it is reserved. So if we could all give him a couple of dollars I'm sure he'd appreciate it.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Don't forget, it's this Saturday!!! Email me if you have ANY questions at all!

• karenrf
    13 years ago

Anyone interested in some pinecones?
    They are about 6 inches long I guess. Nice size.
    Not average size, but a bit bigger.
    They are great for crafts such as making peanut butter
    bird feeders or dipping in wax for fireplace starters, or glitter and a bow for ornaments.
    I've had them a while so I'm not sure just how great of shape they are in.
    I will have to look.

BTW, I'll see you guys there on Saturday.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Checklist:

1. Are you planning to come to the ETPS?
    Yes_____ Absolutely!_____

2. Have you told all your gardening buddies about the swap?
    Done_____ No, but I will_____

3. If you belong to a local plant/gardening related group, have you told them?
    You better believe it_____ Not yet, I'm sending an email now_____

4. Have you gotten everything potted up and ready for transport?
    a week ago_____ I'll get it done Friday night_____

5. Are you staying for the pot-luck lunch?
    Wouldn't miss it for the world_____ Can I have seconds_____

• karenrf
    13 years ago

Checklist:
    Yes_____ Absolutely!_XXX__

Done__XXX___ No, but I will_____

You better believe it__XXX___ Not yet, I'm sending an email now_____

4. Have you gotten everything potted up and ready for transport? Most is done, gotta grab a few things on Friday
    a week ago____ I'll get it done Friday night_____

Wouldn't miss it for the world_____ Can I have seconds___XXX__

LOL ;)

• junebugntn
    13 years ago

Well I'm afraid I will not be able to come to the swap. My daughter is coming home from UGA for the weekend. It is the only time she has before Thanksgiving, so I guess I'll have to spend a little time with her.:) Actually, I do hate it that I can't make it. I will have to try again in the spring. If anyone wants to follow through on trades, I will be in Maryville the next weekend. Hope everyone has a great time.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can definitely understand that daughters are more important than plants. But, daughters are always welcome at our swaps! (-:

• tlfox
    13 years ago

Checklist:
    Yes_____ Absolutely!___XX__

Done__XX___ No, but I will_____

You better believe it__XX___ Not yet, I'm sending an email now_____

4. Have you gotten everything potted up and ready for transport? started my rooted cuttings a month ago, will finish gathering tonight.
    a week ago_____ I'll get it done Friday night_____

Wouldn't miss it for the world__XX___ Can I have seconds_____

Sad to see that junebug isn't coming.

Frances sent me a note - she's not coming either. :( We'll miss ya Frances!!

See you all Saturday - if I have anything else that anyone wants - let me know. :D

Tiffany

• junebugntn
    13 years ago

Well, if it were just a little closer we would have made it. She is working on her Masters in Historic Preservation at Georgia. Its through the School of Landscape Architecture and she is taking a course in Southern Historic Plants this semester. I'm sure it would have been fun for us both, but just a bit too much to pack into the weekend. Next time.

• karenrf
    13 years ago

They're dropping like flies. Eeeek! ;)

Junebug,
    The swap is just 1-2 miles from UT trail gardens. You and your daughter would love it. All kinds of plants to look at. Who knows...we may have some southern historic plants.;) I really have a good time walking through it and wishing. :D

• junebugntn
    13 years ago

I've been to the UT gardens, definitely enjoyed it. Sure she will have to make the trip with us sometime. Really wish I could be in two places at once...:(

• tlfox
    13 years ago

Will be there - will be a little late, getting a late start this morning. See you all in a bit!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For info about how the swap went, see the post linked below.

BTW, we didn't take pictures this time, so none will be posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall 2010 East Tennessee Plant Swap -- Results

• vivvian
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone-

In all the craziness of the summer, I missed the Fall Swap. :(

Brandon-if you are still looking for someone to get the ETPS website up and running please let me know. I have a good friend who can help us with this.

Please let me know what you think.

Vivvian, aka Vera

muddpedal@yahoo.com

• barbs21
    12 years ago

Hi, when will this years seed and plant swap be? I'm new to Tennessee and had to leave all my plants in Indiana ;-(, I was a member there too. I've got 3 acres of plantable space and have no flowering plants an any kind. Please help!! I'm in Luttrell, Tn.

Thanks
    Barb

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Barb,

The Fall 2011 East Tennessee Plant Swap will be held at Cheryl Peters' house, 7704 Dave Road, Knoxville, TN 37938 on Saturday, September 24, 2011. We often hold the swap at one of the local parks, but due to schedule conflict and other reasons, Cheryl has volunteered to host this fall's swap at her house. She has a nice yard with plenty of shade and a big garage in case of rain. The location is on your side of Knoxville, so it should be easy for you to get to without having to go through town.

Check out our website, linked below. There is more information on the FAQ page and an interactive map on the Map&Directions page. You can also prearrange swaps if you like on the Forum page. We haven't really posted an official announcement yet, so there isn't any activity on our Swap Forum yet. It should start picking up in a few weeks. You don't have to prearrange, but many people find it helpful to arrange at least some of their swaps before hand so that they get a better idea of what to bring and what to expect. We'll also have a potluck lunch, so bring your favorite picnic/finger-food dish.

If you don't have much to swap yet, PLEASE DON'T WORRY! We always seem to have an over abundance of neat stuff. Some of us are more interested in finding good homes for all our extras than really doing a lot of even swaps. We'd love to meet you at the swap and help you fill your yard with all kinds of neat plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: www.EastTnPlantSwap.com

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH