Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying dwarf meyers and dwarf Clementine...

Posted by Heidittttttt TN (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 21:49

Hi everyone,

I'm a relocated Californian and I miss my citrus trees SO much! I finally decided to order these 2 dwarf trees and pot them. THey're in the full sun on my patio now and seem to be doing well. They came with bare roots, so I bought cactus, palm and citrus potting soil since I read they need good drainage.

I'm a little worried about how they'll do over the winter. I'll bring them in the house if we drop below 32 degrees, but is that necessary?

Also, what/where should I get fertilizer for them? Should I fertilize now that it's August? I read that we should not fertilize after August 1st.

Any comments or suggestions would be very welcome. I'm used to living in what used to be orange and lemon groves in Southern California. We just stick citrus trees in the ground and water once a week there and the fruit is delicious! This is quite different in Tennessee!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying dwarf meyers and dwarf Clementine...

This is how my trees arrived. They were bare rooted and healthy. From a California grower.

o

I'd ask this question in the Citrus Forum. I'll bet they could give you more informed answers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Forum

o

Heidi, it's funny how the temps from Rancho Santa Margarita to Escondido and down to Coronado can be so similar to middle Tn - from Ojai to LA, not so much. The humidity and frost are the killers here!
My best friend is in Lewisburg and he grows lemon, pineapple, orange and all kinds of stuff native to SoCal. I wish I could get him to grow avocado but he hates it. The trick is bringing them inside once the frost warning comes out.

As always, everyone is welcome on our Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/64785223352/

Jeff

o

IT has always been my understanding that lemons and oranges can handle temps into the mid 20's. I know of several citrus species grown in south Louisiana where hard freezes are not uncommon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here