Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Australian Winter Pea as cover crop

Posted by JonCraig 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 13 at 23:16

Hello,

Thinking ahead to the late fall/winter...

In years past, I've simply mulched the garden with straw and/or leaves and left it to sleep 'til spring. I've been reading about winter cover crops, and it seems that Australian Winter Peas would do well as a green manure.

Anybody have any experience with them in TN?

Any suggestions on best place to buy (either brick and mortar or internet)

Alternatives that work better? Etc.?

Thanks!

--JC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Australian Winter Pea as cover crop

I have zero experience with AWP's and near zero knowledge about them. I found multiple sources, but many have poor ratings and should probably be avoided. The only source I found with good or great ratings was Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds www.rareseeds.com. They have a very good ("Top Five") G.WD. rating. BTW, the botanical name for Australian Winter Pea is Pisum sativum v. arvense or Pisum arvense.

o
RE: Australian Winter Pea as cover crop

Tried some in a wildlife food plot some years back. Poor germination rate, anemic growth. Not worth planting, IMO.
Just an unimproved 'English pea' type gareden pea. I'd plant some good sugar snaps or snowpeas instead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here