Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

The Mother of all Plant Swaps

bigorangevol
15 years ago

I figured since the Memphis and Knoxville swap folks are starting their swap postings that I'd better get on the stick too!

The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap is only 58 1/2 days away guys!!! Saturday, October 18th is going to be here before you know it.

ItÂs time for yaÂll to start thinking about what youÂre gonna bring; what you would like to have; getting the jump on transplanting; maybe going ahead and reserving a room, cabin or campsite at HHSP; what all of my very favorite foods are you know, the real important stuff.

I've been surfing the web lately, as I do every year, and I haven't seen a plant swap anywhere in this country that compares to the MTPS in sheer numbers of plants and attendees. Jan and Mona should be tickled pink to realize just what they started here in Tennessee. There may be plants swaps that are older than ours (and I'm obviously biased) but I sure haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe there is a better anywhere. I'm not trying to knock any other swaps. As a matter of fact I couldn't be happier or more proud of what Cheryl has done with the Knoxville Swap and what SandSquid & Lani have started in Memphis. You guys rock! How fortunate are we to have three great plant swaps in our state? I'd bet that there isn't another state that has three successful and separate swaps as we do.

Hit our beautiful website at: http://www.midtnplantswap.com/

for more information and to register for the fall swap.

Comments (61)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    15 years ago

Hey, we can always have MTPS GRIDDLE cakes instead of them boring old PANcakes, and get around Squid's nasty old trademark. ;-)

I elect the first person who arrives to cook breakfast. Jeff, make sure you sleep in that day!

And I hope you're feeling better. No more warm shrimp for you!

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

bigorangevol: "Uh Zig, little help here bro!!!"

I don't like pancakes for breakfast. Does that help? *grin*

I prefer eggs and sausage and fried potatoes. You really don't want my help on this one.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh yeah, that was just the help I was looking for there Joseph. Thanks a lot Mr. Wisenhiemer!

Doc let's just say that from now on I'll check the expiration date on all marinade before using it. Evidently they were serious about using BEFORE October 2007. Who knew? Have you moved? Email me.

To add insult to injury...I birthed a new kidney stone today. That makes 9 for my career. It's been a tough three days for ole BOV!!!

• Jan_Hobbs
    15 years ago

amazindirt there are a BUNCH of campgrounds on the Buffalo River....and no it wasn't ours. The Buffalo River goes for miles. Sure wouldn't want to be that lady, that's for sure.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Guys I'm narrowing the search for our guest lecturer (actually I've got it down to two incredibly knowledgeable ladies). One is Top Brass with the TN Master Gardeners and the other was a Ag Prof at Texas A&M. Stay tuned for more info.

Lucas may make another appearance if Bonnie lets him but you gals are just gonna have to settle for eye-candy. Who knows, they may be married by October. (THIS is how rumors get started!!!)

;-)

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

46 days, 23 hours, 45 minutes.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, let's hear some swap chatter from those of you that have been to the MTPS so that way the newbies and lurkers can get involved!

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

OK. I've started potting up some cuttings and have been looking at what can be dug and divided. So far I have some Turk's cap hibiscus, some corkscrew willow cuttings, and should have some Jerusalem Cherry sprouts ready by next week.

I'm also going to try transplanting some of the corn flower everyone liked from our table bouquet last spring. And lots of seed from it as well as some yellow coreoposis and red mole bean seeds.

And of course there will be angle trumpet cuttings.

• msbatt
    15 years ago

So far, all I have is a ton of seeds---two different kinds. (*grin*) And I'll have some pomegranate seedlings, snf maybe some houseplant cuttings. Just don't really know what all yet.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'd love to be able to grow some poms!

If you are planning to attend the fall Middle Tennessee Plant Swap then go to the website at http://www.midtnplantswap.com/
    and register.

If you are planning on spending the night or weekend call 931-364-7724 to reserve your cabin, hotel room or campsite.

So let us hear what you are bringing to the swap!!!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We're only 29 ½ days away from the MTPS and this thread (and every other MTPS thread IÂve started) have all been dead as a stone. I canÂt seem to generate any enthusiasm with this anymore. I feel like IÂm beating a dead horse here. Are ya'll just not interested in the swap anymore or is it yours truly?

After all these years I'm thinking that it may be time for some new blood in the MTPS Director's Chair. Obviously, IÂve reached the limit of my capabilities. So if you are attracted to the position or would like to see someone in specific fill these shoes let me know; otherwise I may be forced to "volunteer" Joe or April. :-)

Feel free to email me with your thoughts.

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

Trust me...NO ONE want me organizing anything. I operate on the Entropy Theory most of the time.

I tend towards chaos.

• ladybug37091
    15 years ago

Jeff, I hope you are just nervous about the fall swap and not seriously thinking of exiting left. People get fired up at the last min. If folks are like me they have ten irons in the fire at once and do not regularly log on to the gardenweb. Our leader wears orange. Your post saddens me. I feel like we let you down. We can party without the pudding but not without the orange. Rhonda

• cottagegirl_tn
    15 years ago

I have been thinking of the fall swap every day. I've been so busy trying to make the most of the after work evenings. These shorter days have made getting my to-do list hard to check off. Before it know it it is 7:15 and dark! Wah!! I will be bringing some rooted rose cuttings, purple verbena, pink scabiosa, yellow and purple butterfly bush, forsythia and other things I can't remember right now. & whatever I can yank out of the ground if I don't feel I'm bringing enough! I'm sure the swap chatter will trickle then flood in as time nears. After all I feel it is the last hurrah of the gardening season don't ya'll??

• cannahavana
    15 years ago

Wish we could be there to help ya out Jeff!

By the way, are you getting my email replies?

B.

• ccmarks
    15 years ago

Well, I'm excited! I'm newer to gardenweb and just missed the spring plant swap. I'm registered and can't wait for the fall one! I just rooted some cuttings today, hopefully succesfully, and am trying to see what else I can bring. This is my first garden swamp and we're fairly new in this house so I'm trying to plant things in the gardens and don't have that much to share yet unfortunately. Seeing what has been growing well so I know what is able to be shared. Looking forward to it!!

• ladybug37091
    15 years ago

Well so far I have some chocolate joe pye weed, cannas and greek oregano. I will hopefully have time this weekend to prepare more. I will gladly bring ribs again if there is electric to plug into. I am very excited as my favorite aunt will be coming with me this time. Rhonda

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can take the ribs over to Tim's and keep them hot then go get 'em before Lunch.

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

Shoot. For the ribs I might bring a generator. Well that is if my truck wasn't already full of plants and tables and chairs and food and....

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dang, that ad with the picture of Susanne Summers just scared the crap out of me!

Maybe I'm the only one but I'm really excited about the fall MTPS. We are going to have another in a long line of wonderful guest lecturers, the food will be fantastic as usual, our new location is kickin and the weather should be off the hook.

Alyce Dobyns-Ladd is very excited to be our speaker and her lecture: "Irrigation during Drought Seasons: The Professional way, the Box-store way and the Recycled way" is so apropos for what weÂve been going through the last several years that I canÂt imagine any gardener NOT being interested.

I just don't see the enthusiasm on GW that we use to have regarding the MTPS and that really, really, really concerns me. Ya'll are starting to scare me with this apathy; IÂm not use to this. ItÂs never about numbers, I could care less if we have 50 or 250 attend. ItÂs all about the lack of passion, gusto, zeal and intrest. Two years ago this thread would have been blowing up with 150-200+ comments by now about how much yaÂll love the swap and what a great time you have attending. Where is that now? I havenÂt seen a post from Norm or Marianne in over a year and most all of our old-timers seem to have fallen off the face of the GW Earth so IÂm relying on the "next generation", first-timers and newbieÂs to help get the ball rolling.

I would like some POSTED input on here from everyone that has ever attended The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap, PLEASE. What was your experience at the MTPS like? If you enjoy the MTPS and wish it to continue then let me hear something from you guys. With this level of indifference, in all actuality, IÂm beginning to wonder if itÂs worth the time, effort and expense.

I am desperately asking for your help! IS THERE ANYTHING THAT I CAN DO TO MAKE THE MTPS BETTER? If you donÂt let me know something then how can I make it more a more enjoyable experience? Please email me with your suggestions.

• msbatt
    15 years ago

I do my work off-line---I cruise the local garden centers and chat up people buying interesting plants, and if they seem friendly, I invite 'em to the MTPS.

• cottagegirl_tn
    15 years ago

Ok, Jeff, calm down...I am a nurse so I have the situation well in hand! LOL I could write a book about the whole 2 swaps I have been to. You CAN'T stop now!!! I just found the MTPS!!! I accidentally found about the swap last summer and attended my first one last fall. I kept a running list of all the treasures I swapped for and I know I have at least 50+, most of which are thriving. I am most proud of the turks cap hibiscus I started from a little stick someone brought last year. It is an impressive plant now and has bloomed it's little red head off! I had never heard of that one or Confederate rose which I did not have luck with but oh well! I get so many passalong plants that you never have the opportunity to buy at Lowes and such. Some of my prize swapped for flowers also include Lenten rose, winter blooming jasmine, sweet flag, several varieties of bee balm, surprise lillies, yarrow. I have had several hard weeks at work and so I'm practically in NEED of a flower fix to counteract all the negative energy I've been subjected to. I'm coming with my sister Barbara (she did the 8x10 little painted garden pictures with sayings) and my sister in law Donna. Just to show you how much me and Barb have sung the praises of the plant swap...Donna does not have a gardening bone in her body and she has heard how much fun we have and she wants to come along and man the table for us and just get in on the fun. Maybe she will start to like gardening thru osmosis? Ok, maybe I've said enough. It's someone else's turn!!!
    Jennifer

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

Hey Jennifer! The Turk's cap hibiscus probably came from me or my sister. I haven't seen anyone else bring any yet, but I'm sure they will. I have a couple dozen cuttings potted up already for this swap.

Jeff, buddy, I feel your pain. The swaps are a great time for all, and you have done an admirable job as swap Nazi. You deserve a break if we can find someone to take the helm. (And no, it ain't me. I'll help anyone, but I will not lead.)

Folks, I'm not sure if I can accurately express just what the MPTS is to many of us. It's a break from our everyday lives, as Jennifer has mentioned. It is also a chance to learn new things about one of our more passionate hobbies. Shoot, the knowledge to be presented by our speaker this time is worth all the efforts I've put in over the years and then some.

• Jan_Hobbs
    15 years ago

You guys have no idea how much time, energy, effort, phone calls at his/our expense, worry, planning, answering all the emails that come in about the swap, stressing out, buying paper products that you don't get refunded for, (Jim and I ended having to pay Captain Compost $150 because he demanded it when the love offering wasn't enough) fussing at your spouse about the swaps, listening to them fuss at YOU about the swaps that a swap nazi/ secretary/planner/ co-oridnator/general flunky... what ever you want to title them goes through. I feel Jeff's stress...Jim and I were there too. Mona went through it. But if the swaps are NOT important to everyone, then there is no sense in Jeff or anyone else going through what we have had to go through to put on these swaps. It's too bad that once you left the Buffalo river where you had the swaps before last spring, that the interest dropped. Is that the reason??? Is everyone just plain tired of them?

Please everyone, support Jeff and respond...you don't have to say much, just let him know how you feel about the swaps. When they get canceled because of lack of interest then you will wish you had taken an active part in keeping them going.

I can't be there because I have a new grandbaby due right about that time, but please, please let Jeff know how much you appreciate what he is doing.

Jan

• flowersglory
    15 years ago

I enjoy the plant swaps spring and fall and hope they continue. It's a two hour drive for me, have been attending for 4 years. I will be doing a new yard as I'm building a new house and will need plants. I'm sure everyone appreciates Jeff's hard work. Some plants have this fall are: 5 Japanese plum trees(kumquat),vitex trees,hen&chicks,sedums,mints,garlic and other plants. Will bring chicken salad again and cornbread confetti salad. See ya Oct. 18. Glenda from Killen, Alabama

• velsgarden
    15 years ago

Jeff,please dont give up on the swap,I only just found it this spring.I brought my sister in law,and she absolutely loved it.We can not wait until the fall swap.We are counting the days.And by the way,you did one heck of a job,and I wouldnt want anyone else to host it.I think you are one of the craziest and coolest guys I have ever met .Hang in there...velvet

• burwoodbelle
    15 years ago

Hey JEFF, This will be my first swap ever' don't stop it nowwwwwwww,. My DD and I are about 35 miles away from
    HHSP.plan to bring baked beans,peach cobbler,mexican cornbread to eat.,and plants,seeds,grass,homemade canned
    items & misc items????????????goat manure.P.S.
    I will keep it all seprated.ha ha.LOL.
    PAT L. S.U. SOON.

• ladybug37091
    15 years ago

The plant swaps are wonderful. I have so many fond memories and to tell you the truth it is about as social as I ever get. I apologize if I have not been enthusiastic enough. It sure has been a rough year for me. My Mother liked to come down from Michigan to go to the swap with me. I lost her this year and am dealing with some very ugly estate issues. Attending the spring swap was so bittersweet. It was hard not having her there but good medicine to see old and new friends. I am now facing the possibility of divorce. I do have some things to bring this fall but am just in a funk. I too talk to folks I meet about the swap and am bringing my aunt to this one. Finding out the swap was ending would be the icing on my crappy cake as it is something I really enjoy. I have no idea what is going on with the old timers Jeff mentioned. Maybe they too are having a hard time in their lives right now. I am greatfull for meeting them. They have all been so generous with their plants and friendships. I hope to see them again. For the new generation swappers I say it is so like Christmas for free and the folks are so nice. Please come and enjoy.

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

flowersglory: What kind of Vitex? I have a couple of the "Shoal Creek Chaste Tree's" that I am really enjoying. (Vitex agnus castus I think) I dead headed them back in early August and am now being rewarded with a new round of blooms. Better than butterfly bush!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

In 8 days, 16 hours and 9 minutes we'll be blowing it out!!! 208 hours is a very short time. I hope you guys are ready.

I'll have enough Moonflower (Datura) seeds to sow a 5-acre field! We'll also have a mess of Gloriosa, Red Bee Balm and Purple Bee Balm seeds. We should have some Hosta, varigated Iris and Musa's. Who knows, I may have a surprise or two up my sleeve as well.

Just a thought...
    since it's almost time for fall bulb planting, the prettiest things we have here at Cheapwood are our Peony Tulips. If you've never seen these or had any then I'd suggest grabbing a few bags if you can find them. They are awesome and hold their color for a looooooooooong time.

• msbatt
    15 years ago

I'm starting to get excited about the swap. It always happens--it creeps up on me, then suddenly one day, it's BAM!!! plant-swap time.

I honestly NEVER have much of a clue what I'll be bringing--I just go through my *crap* a couple of days ahead of time and toss in whatever. It also depends on the weather---if my local weatherman says "frost tonight!" I cut things I wouldn't otherwise.

Anybody want a puppy????

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

I made another round of cuttings last night and will probably do more this evening. I'm gathering and packaging seeds whenever I notice something is ready to be harvested.

Hey sis, what should I do with clematis seeds? I think they are from this one. (At least one much like it.) ((Not my pic.))

{{gwi:1289429}}

• irisaddict
    15 years ago

Why the doom & gloom???? The spring swap went very well and had a good turn out. Friends that came for the first time were amazed at the number of plants & people. I was thrilled that we had a shady location and the weather was great! For those of you colder natured than me, just wear some waterproof shoes as wet feet from the morning dew seemed to keep people on the chilled side the first hour or so.
    I'm guessing that writing will increase now that we have had a real rain. I couldn't imagine prying out a withered plant a week ago but now that most people received a 2-4" rain the plants should be rejuvenated and the ground is soft enough to dig.
    Fall is a great time for new members to come since there are fewer but plenty of people there so you can get an idea of how things work and jot notes for plants and tables and signs you might want to bring in the spring.
    I love how the speaker is talking about doing the water systems based on store, pro, etc, that is what is making the talk extra exciting for me.
    Jeff, I have been bad and haven't registered yet but will probably get to it.
    If anyone is on the fence on coming, remember THERE WILL BE RIBS!!!
    Looking forward to seeing everyone!
    Evelyn

• msbatt
    15 years ago

Hey bro---some clematis seeds germinate readily and make flowering plants in a couple of years. Some hybrid clematis make only sterile seeds, and at least one species clematis---C. viorna---takes a year or more to germinate, and about five years to produce a flowering plant. My best advice is---sow them like Nature does. Cast them on the ground, and sift a VERY LITTLE bit of soil over them---just enough to keep them in place. That little 'tail' that helps them sail on the wind should be left exposed, mostly.

That one sure is purty!!!

• Nancy
    15 years ago

I REALLY enjoyed the spring swap, even though I couldn't stay long. I had planned on coming this fall too, but I'm be leaving on a trip the following Monday & didn't want to pressure myself.

• april_h_o April Moore
    15 years ago

Don't be silly, Jeff! You know we all just get busy...:-)

But I do plan to be there -- need to go register today. I've not had time to check the forums in months, but I've been planning what to bring for several weeks now. I know, at the least, I will have some black feather grass, at least one miscanthus, a Rasberry Delight salvia (one of the lovely bush sages), some gomphrena starts (see photo link; though maybe those will have to be overwintered indoors since it's so late in the season), and probably some other things I haven't troubled to look for yet.

As for what I need, I need Naked Ladies!! and the red, spidery Autum Lillies. And anything else with white and/or burgundy flowers/foliage. We will be putting in the last bit of our garden very soon and it will be a white-flowered moon garden with red/chocolate accents.....

See y'all soon! I will try to update my swap pages if I can find time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Gomphrena

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thankfully, I'm blissfully married now so I don't need any other naked ladies anymore... and haven't seen any other in quite some time either!

April, how about a white/burgundy Dahlia or some Red Bee Balm? I'd love a Raspberry Delight!

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

I have Bare Naked Ladies on my music player.....

Did have one small red surprise lily pop up about 3 weeks ago. No idea where it came from. Hope it multiplies like mad.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We've had 88 "first time visitors", 26 "returning visitors" and 150 pageloads on the website this month so maybe some of those folks will show up.

There are only 4 days, 22 hours and 27 minutes left until we are getting after it at HHSP. If youÂve got stuff to still pot-up then you had better get busy!

I got emails from Marianne as well as Norm yesterday. Marianne is coming but Norm is still having trouble with his inner ear so he and Barb won't be making this one. They hope to be able to make the Spring swap. Everyone, I'm sure that Norm would appreciate your prayers in regards to this health situation. His hearing and mobility are seriously problems. Please remember Norm and Barb in your prayers.

As I posted earlier, Mona wanted to be with us but she has a new Grandbaby about to make her appearance into the World so you know how that plays.

I canÂt wait to see everyone!!!

• april_h_o April Moore
    15 years ago

Hey, Jeff! I will gladly set aside that Raspberry Delight Sage for a burgundy or a white dahlia! I lost my Dahlias last year during the horrid drought while I was travelling so much, so I need more anyway. :-)

See you soon!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

April this one, "Duet", is burgundy and white; it's two-tone.
    Here are a couple of pics I found on the web:
    http://www.wallpaper-downloads.info/key/White?g2_itemId=4162 and
    davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/55583/

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

Dude! You posted links!

Sweet Dahlia too...

• april_h_o April Moore
    15 years ago

Oooh, Jeff, that'll be just perfect! The best of BOTH worlds. :-) Thanks!

Hehe, and now, since you posted links, I feel all special!

--April

Here is a link that might be useful: April's MySpace Garden Pictures

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

April I love that Peach Iris...and the dogs.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

April I got a tuber from the "Duet" Dahlia today so you're hooked-up. Wasn't much work at all for old Maynard G. Krebs.

• april_h_o April Moore
    15 years ago

Heh heh. :-)

Well, Mr. Krebs, if you'll tell me which of those peach irises you liked, I'll bring you a clump next Spring! :-) Was it the one with the white top and the peach colored falls? That one is called Champagne Elegance and it had a good year this year. I brought that one with me from Cookeville.

I can't recall the name of the other one that was sort of peachy-pink colored, but the light pink one is Pink Lemonade.

Anyway, just let me know when I see you at the swap. :-)

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have no idea! The Champagne Elegance sounds great. You know me, I'll be happy with anything.

April are you sure you wouldn't like to be the new Swap Director?
    Somebody has to do it and I think you would be awesome!
    It's a lot of fun and from what I hear from some folks, it's an easy gig with little to nothing to actually do!!!
    I'll even sweeten the pot by delivering a whole mess of supplies to your door so you don't have to buy anything.

• april_h_o April Moore
    15 years ago

Um...no -- truly, Jeff, do I look like the last raindrop that fell?

:-)

I like our current Swap Mogul just fine! :-) Besides, I never know when I'm going to be home any more due to my job.

Maybe you can raffle the job off as a door prize at the swap? I won't be taking a ticket, though!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I'm finally packed and ready to go!

We're bringing:
    Musa's
    Columbine
    Hosta
    Cannas
    Yucca
    Liriope
    Callas.

We've also got tons of seeds:
    Datura
    Gloriosa Dasiy
    Red Bee Balm
    Purple Bee Balm.

There may very well be more that I'm drawing a blank on.

April I have your Dahlia tuber too.

I have my cell with me at all times so if you need me just call 615-310-4155.

See you guys in the morning,
    Jeff

• april_h_o April Moore
    15 years ago

I will be bringing:

4 or 5 black feather grass plants (most are blooming or seeding or whatever you want to call it)

One large miscanthus sinensis and two babies

Two white coneflowers

A gomphrena baby

Numerous cuttings (some rooted, some not) of my wax begonias, and two or three splits off of the big plants -- they were too big to overwinter at their warm-weather size; these are quite nice! I have bronze-leaf (double pink blooms), variegated (very free-blooming), an angelwing (also very free-blooming, but in orange -- lovely plant), as well as a plain leafed one with pink blooms that pretty much blooms continously. All are very vigorous and have over-wintered very well for several years.

A double-pink Impatien (I had two, but I only want to have to overwinter one)

A stem of a pink and white blooming geranium; lovely, but looks pretty sad at the moment! Needs a Geranium guru!

Cuttings from rose scented and gray lady pelargoniums - May give one of the big ones away entirely.

Some seeds - barnyard red hollyhock, maybe some white cleome, white penstemon (digitalis foxglove), and a really nice black-stemmed, Black Eyed susan.

Jeff, I have your Rasberry Delight salvia -- looks a bit sulky at the moment (too much rain and the pot doesn't have enough drainage), but it bloomed all summer after I rooted it.

See y'all soon. I'm bringing Broccoli Casserole (per usual) for lunch.

Sponsored