Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conniemcghee

MTPS: Haves and Wants

conniemcghee
14 years ago

I know we had a thread like this a while back, but I thought maybe we could start another now that we're closer (I know my list has changed a little), and list what we are bringing as well as what we want.

HAVES:

Zinnia seeds ("Envy," lime green double)

Common Lilac, layered starts (2 available)

Kumson Forsythia, layered starts (2 available)

Golden Curly Willow, well-rooted cutting (1 available)

Black Stockings Daylily (for Pat)

Bronze Fennel small start (1 available). Comes with bonus itty bitty baby elephant ear. :P

Blue Sue Setcreasea/Tradescantia starts (These root easily, like Purple Queens. I have several started, can bring a piece for anyone who'd like one).

Zephirine Drouhin Climbing Rose cuttings (This is a very vigorous, old climbing rose. Bourbon, very fragrant, dark pink single blooms. Will bring cuttings for anyone who wants one).

Lady Banks Climbing Rose cuttings (Very very vigorous climbing rose, grows to 20 ft +, gorgeous tiny double yellow blossoms in spring. Will bring cuttings for anyone who wants one).

WANTS:

I'll make this easy: MONKEY GRASS. I want lots and lots of monkey grass. Please bring me monkey grass. Either kind, variegated or regular. Thanks!

(of course, I'm sure I'll see all kinds of other things I'm dying for on your lists!!)

Connie

PS: Jen, I am so sorry, but the blue sedum didn't make it. :( None of it did...all appears to be gone. Let me know if you see anything else above you might like. How about Blue Sue instead?

Comments (150)

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

April, thanks! I just love that aster. Really, you should see it with the beautyberries. Gorgeous! I think I remember you talking about that Bellflower at your garden tour. :)

• velsgarden
    14 years ago

My have list so far:
    1 plumeria noid
    1 desert rose noid
    1 yellow rose of texas
    pink ice plant starts
    red orange or dwarf yellow cannas--only if someone wants any
    purple shamrock
    bee balm start it is either purple pink or red
    1 rose of sharon baby-was given to me,dont know color
    monkey grass
    3 unknown plants maybe swamp sunflower-received one at swap and never got the name of it-maybe someone can id it
    1 baby elephant ear-green and black leaves
    pink or purple butterfly bush cuttings-only if someone wants any

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

vels: I'd love to trade for the bee balm. See anything on my list you like?

- Steve

• april_h_o April Moore
    14 years ago

Vel - I'll see if I can't dig a few up for you, then. :-)

Connie - I'd love to see that aster and Beautyberry combo - I bet it's lovely! The Beautyberries I've seen this year have had fantastic berries. Can you take some photos maybe and post them? Would love to see it.

• velsgarden
    14 years ago

Hey Steve,how about some cherry bomb pepper seeds for the bee balm?

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

bels: That will be fine. =)

april: It's ok about the grapes. Keep me as a runner-up (lol), if the other person doesn't end up wanting the live ones. Anyways, i'm sure I can find something of yours I like to trade for some pickled or pickled peppers that you want.

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

paperart, if I have anything you'd be interested in, I'd be very interested in the Peggy Martin rose or the Arp Rosemary. :)

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

newgardener123/Rebecca, if you see anything on my list you'd like I'd be interested in some wandering jew. :)

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, my last post for today and I'll quiet down.

I know this is a very long shot, but I thought I'd throw it out there: Does anyone have Amsonia Hubrichtii they would like to swap for?

• april_h_o April Moore
    14 years ago

You know, I should really avoid typing late at night - was just re-reading my posts. *shakes head*

Anyway, to sum up more coherently (and in reply to a few folks):

-- tngreenthumb - Hey, Joe, let me know which of the salvias you would like from my list above. Last year, my Turk's Cap Hibiscus didn't make it. Do you have another, so perhaps I can try again? I probably should have overwintered them indoors til they got more established. If not, I'm pretty sure there are a number of other things on your list I'd be happy with!

-- tn_veggie-gardener - Yes, Steve, please do look over my two postings here and let me know if anything else catches your fancy. Will let you know about the grape vine - gonna check and see if they still want it. I mentioned pickles to Chip and he started drooling. (hehe) Have you ever grown dwarf pomegranate? I have one that is producing small fruit - they can be propagated from the seeds with a little care.

-- Connie (connietn) - Beautyberry cuttings would be great for me - I'd like to try that combo out myself. :-) Hopefully I can get it's roots growing indoors for a while til late winter/early spring, when I can plant it. And, I don't know, but I can check under my Amsonia hubrechti and see if there were any late season babies - I found three earlier in the year but they are all gone to new homes. If I find one, I'll dig it up and bring it to you.

-- Velvet (velsgarden)- Do you think you could set aside an ice plant start for me in exchange for the Korean Bellflower? I foolishly let mine get smothered by bigger plants. :-( I liked it a lot, too.

-- Pat (burwoodbelle) - Just come find me at the swap and you can pick which of the small sedums you'd like some starts from (I posted a partial list up above, somewhere :-)

-- Wanda (columbiastock) - Will happily bring you some Salvia coccinea seeds. Such a brilliant red and the hummers do love it. In exchange, if you still have a Lacecap Hydrangea, I'd take one of those. Or another Fireman's Helmet, since I managed to kill the one you gave me before. :-( Actually, it wasn't all my fault - It got drowned while I was traveling on business and Chip didn't know to move it out from under the dripline of the roof. I hate that - it was a really nice start.

Speaking of salvias, I'm seriously starting to think I should just officially start a real collection of them (since I've already UN-offically got one lol). They are so pretty and easy to grow - the only thing you have to remember really is to give them good drainage and don't prune back the dead stems until you see new leaves popping out in spring. I saw some today at Cheekwood that made my eyes light up and then I had to go scrabbling through my purse for a pen to right down their names! lol

I seem to have lost the pink and white Salvia coccinea someone gave me a few years ago at the swap (they aren't as quick to reseed as the red ones). Does anyone happen to have any seeds of those?

And, just a reminder - if anyone has Euphorbia or Oakleaf Hydrangea, I'd be much obliged!

Guess that's all for now? Maybe? (heh)

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

April, so weird - we went to Cheekwood Saturday! Are you talking about the really tall purple that were with the sunflowers in the perennial garden? OMG, those were amazing! There are also some pretty tall ones at Ellington right now that look like the same thing. I didn't get a name either place, though. Were those salvias?

PS Beautyberry cuttings for you!

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

April--Have you a Lacecap Hydrangea, out of the Firemen's Helmet until spring, will have you one then.--Talking about the purple salvias, I have the 'Caradonna' purple between a 'Wild Thing' pink and a yellow coreopsis.

Wanda

• burwoodbelle
    14 years ago

April!! I would love some of the Korean Bellflower.
    Pat!

• april_h_o April Moore
    14 years ago

:-) Yep, Connie, those are salvias. The ones about 3-4 feet high with bright purple blooms are the standard Mexican Bush Sage, but they had some there of another variety that was nearly 6 feet tall with yellowish leaves and dark purple blooms - that one was a variety called 'Tula' which I intend to track down. They had another one also that looked like a Mexican Bush Sage, but this one had dark blue blooms. I believe that one was called "Mystic Blue Spires" - I intend to look for it, too.

See, that's what I love about Salvias - their blooms and growth habit can take so many different combinations of form and color, but birds, bees and butterflies love them, one and all. Wonderful plants.

Pat - got you down for some Korean bellflower, too. Just make sure you put it somewhere it can spread a bit, or else just sink some edging around it to keep it mannerly.

And, Wanda, thanks - I bet that Caradonna is really pretty with Wild Thing and the coreopsis. Do you have it with Moonbeam coreopsis, or something else?

Really looking forward to seeing everyone again. :-)

• palmetto_gardener
    14 years ago

April, I have pink naked ladies. Trade for aster, or if that's gone, shasta daisy?
    Judy

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Oooooooooooo...Dwarf Pomegranate! *drool* lol...would be an excellent addition to my fruit garden. I'd love some seeds or whatever part of it is needed for a start (or 2). =)

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

April I am going to see if I have naked ladies to bring for you as well. Paperart, what are you looking for? I am interested in your honey bells buddleia. Also bringing greek oregano, cannas (probably yellow with orange spots), bananas, tiger lillys, a few phal orchids, lemon balm and chocolate mint. Also pots for those that have requested them.

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

April--I use the coreopsis lanceolata. It is yellow eyed and grows 2ft. All three plants half circle a gnome(r) pyracantha, white spring flowers, orange berried, and is 4ft. tall.

Wanda

• Dave Townsend
    14 years ago

If others need beautyberry cuttings I can bring a few. I've rooted four but can only spare the one that's rooted and it's been claimed but a few cuttings are easily handled. They root very easily.

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dave, what would be your advice on rooting them? Would they be OK to root outside this time of year? I've been trying to figure it out and have been reading different things...

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

april_h: Show this to Chip to get him drooling more...lol...

{{gwi:100356}}

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Dvtown--I would love to have beautyberry cutting. Let me know what else you might want along with the clump of reblooming white iris?

Wanda

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

Wanda: Do you still have the Kerria Japonica available? I'd love it for my new flower garden. Would be a good trade for the Thai Basil.

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Tn Veggie gardner--Yes, will tag for you. Mine still so pretty full of yellow blooms that look like carnations.

Wanda

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

cool...thanks!

• new-gardener123
    14 years ago

connietn- My mom is coming with me and has some green monkey grass if you want/need any more than has already been offered. Let me know. I'll put aside a wandering jew for you. I'm sure there is something you have that I want.

pamlett-gardener- I'll set aside a wandering jew and chocolate mint for you. I'll take whatever for them.

irisaddict- is the baby redbud spoken for? my mom would like it if there is anything we have you would like

burwoodbewlle- my mom would like a pecan if i have anything you would want to trade for

velsgarden- I'd like a purple shamrock if it is not spoken for and I have something you'd like

columbiastock- reblooming iris if you have any not spoken for if i have anything you might want

april_h_o- i'm interested in the shasta daisy, korean bellflower, and trumpet lily if still available.

What I have (some new ones)-

sedum (pink flowering)
    red cannas
    gourd seeds (pear shape)
    oregano
    rose of sharon
    tiny chamomile starts
    wandering jew- perennial, purple with small purple flowers on the ends
    wandering jew- annual/indoor, purple/green striped leaves
    chocolate mint
    ivy

• irisaddict
    14 years ago

I would appreciate beauty berry cuttings too. I have one but it doesn't have impressive berries.

If orchids aren't spoken for, they would be amusing too.

Also, if there is just an extra bit of the kerria with a tad of root, that would be nice.

Evelyn

• new-gardener123
    14 years ago

i also have some purple thrift.

rebecca

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

New-gardner--Will tag you a clump of the reblooming white iris, hope you still have the pink sedum to swap.

Irisaddict--I will dig out another Kerria Japonica (pleniflora). Will make sure I get roots, should be fine.
    Do you still have a Pardon Me, would be nice?

:) Wanda

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rebecca, that sounds great! Come find me when you get there and see what you would like. I have long-ish blond hair and I'll be with my Mom too, who has short strawberry blonde/gray hair. :) If your mom could bring monkey grass, that would be awesome!

• new-gardener123
    14 years ago

connietn, do you want the annual/indoor wandering jew or the perennial purple?

sam question to you pamlett-gardener... which one?

Rebecca

P.S. I am getting more and more excited!! I love that I have things that someone wants!

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooo! Well, since you are giving me a choice, I would LOVE the perennial purple! Thank you - I've been thinking I'd like some of that all summer! :D

• irisaddict
    14 years ago

Wanda,
    a Pardon Me is on my list for you

April,
    I would like some dwarf pomegranate seeds/plant. Do you keep yours inside or out?

ALSO BRINGING
    tri-color ajuga - would love to trade for dark black one
    lamb's ear
    celandine poppy

Evelyn

• velsgarden
    14 years ago

So Far
    Connie-monkey grass
    Glenda-pots
    Pat-pots
    Wanda-red canna,ice plant
    Judy-perennials?
    Steve-bee balm
    April-pink ice
    new gardener-purple shamrock

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Velvet, good idea! In a few cases, I'm not sure what one end of the trade is, so I indicated with ??.

Pat: Black stockings daylily and beautyberry cuttings for monkey grass

Rhonda: ?? for monkey grass

Velvet: LB and ZD Rose and Beautyberry cuttings for monkey grass

JennF/cottagegirl: LB and ZD Rose cuttings for ?? Crocsomia?

Jeff: ?? for monkey grass

msbatt: LB and ZD Rose cuttings and Blue Sue Setcreasea for ??

Evelyn: LB and ZD Rose and Beautyberry cuttings for Grape Hyacinth

dvtown: ZD Rose for Caryopteris

Wanda: Black walnuts and Beautyberry cuttings for Cleome seeds

Steve: ZD Rose for Thyme

April: Beautyberry cuttings for Aster

Rebecca/newgardener123: ?? for Wandering Jew and Monkey Grass

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A few new HAVES, via my mom:

Aucuba, from my old house (4): I used as a foundation shrub on the north side of house. Gets about six feet tall and three feet wide. GORGEOUS evergreen plant for shade. Deep green leaves heavily spotted in yellow.

Horsetail grass (2): I absolutely LOVE the look of this, but I don't do plants that require a lot of water so I've never had it myself. Warning: It's very invasive if planted in the yard, but would be awesome in a pot or in a water garden.

Angelina (?) sedum (3)

Small black Elephant ears (NOID) (2)

Yellow and green groundcover ivy

Akebia Chocolate Vine (2-3)

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Connie--getting the beautyberry cuttings from dvtown-have not heard back from him yet. But if you have plenty great, want else would you like for the swap.

Also bringing 2 Caradonna Salvia (foot tall with blooms) I potted last week.

Wanda

• velsgarden
    14 years ago

Steve,I have some of those (ut) orange cannas that I need to clean out,also red,if you or anyone else wants some..velvet

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

vels: That would be awesome! I'd love an orange one. =)

ALL: I was lucky enough to be the first to respond to a craigslist post about someone in Lebanon giving away a ton of nice pots, since they are moving. I plan on bringing almost all of them, so if someone still needs some pots, let me know.

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

Are you talking decorative pots or just nursery pots?

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wanda, I just saw that you wanted them and thought I'd bring you a couple too, just to increase the odds. :) The cleome seeds will be fine!

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

More just potted up from Mom:

Shasta daisies: NOID, but a very vigorous, long-blooming variety about 2' tall. 6 good sized divisions available.

Trumpet vine. I think it's orange. 1 available.

• Dave Townsend
    14 years ago

Connie,

I would root it and keep it indoors for a while. At least until it had good root growth. The berries should grow very easily if planted after they are ripe. I suspect the hardwood cuttings taken in midwinter should do fine, probably like Red twig dogwood. I may have a couple of those for the spring swap if all goes well.

I need to see how many cuttings I can take this afternoon. I'll pop back on tonight to update.

Also here's how I do the cuttings if you're interested:
    Beautyberry Cuttings

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dave, do you plant the berries directly in the ground after ripe, or in a pot inside? Interesting article. :) I will do my cuttings the same.

• april_h_o April Moore
    14 years ago

Cool. I can see y'all have been busy. Is anyone else getting that sinking feeling of, "oh no.. what have we done?" (lol) I'm not even home yet and I already feel guilty about what I'm swapping for!

I hope it stops raining long enough to care for everything we'll all be hauling back. (hehe)

Notes:

tn_veggie gardner (Steve) - I'll see about those dwarf pomegranate seeds. I'm not sure if the fruit are quite ready or not (they do have to ripen on the plant), but if they aren't, I'll just wait a bit and run them over to you sometime (It's not as if Percy Priest is miles away or anything). The fruit should be allowed to dry out thoroughly over the winter, and then come spring you can either plant them shallowly in a pot indoors (they need soil temps of around 65 degrees or better to germinate well) or outside later in the ground once the soil is warm. This variety ('Nana') does very well in a pot, so you may just want to do that. The plants are hardy to zone 7, but just to be safe I keep mine in the pot and then put it in the unheated garage near a window. Once a month I make sure it has a bit of water and I guess it goes semi-dormant, but it always leafs right back out once it starts getting more daylight and water again. I've overwintered it for three years successfully this way. Now, I think they could be left in the ground over winter here, as long as you gave it a very sheltered position, such as adjacent to a south-facing wall. I think they'd be like bananas and rosemary then, which aren't really supposed to be hardy here, but are with a bit of care.

irisaddict - I'll have to see how many fruit I have out there, but as you can see above, I leave mine out in a pot all summer and then bring it into the garage for a bit of shelter over the winter.

New-gardener-123 - I have one of the Shasta daisies for you, some trumpet lily bulbs, and a Korean bellflower. I'd love a chamomile start (if you still have some) and some gourd seeds for next year. :-)

Pat - can bring you a bellflower in addition to the sedums already mentioned earlier. :-)

Palmetto_gardener (Judy) - I'll give that second aster I have to you for those naked ladies. Thanks so much!

And of course, the trades for Joe, Connie, Velvet, and Wanda already mentioned.

I sure hope it doesn't rain tomorrow - otherwise it's going to be pretty mucky work getting the last few things out of the ground. And it's getting down to 34 this weekend! Can you believe it?

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

tngreen: I checked them out quickly when I dropped my daughter off at home during lunch & it looks like mostly nursery pots, but i'll confirm tomorrow. I'll probably bring them to the swap either way.

april: That would be fine. I still live about only 2-3 miles from the lake, so if they are not ready, I can wait. A Dwarf Pomegranate tree would be well worth the wait! =) It sounds like their overwintering process is/should be the same as my Dwarf Banana & Dwarf Lime trees, so I should be able to take good care of them. Thanks! Anyways, pickles are yours, one way or another. We can arrange a time later on to meet for the pom seeds.

My Trade List So Far (Please please let me know if I forgot anyone...I don't think I did though):

april_h: jar of pickles for dwarf pom seeds

Wanda: Thai Basil for Kerria Japonica

dvtown/Dave: Caryopteris?/strawberries? for ??? (post a reply to me on here! lol)

connie: Zephrine Rose for Thyme

vels: bee balm for cherry bomb pepper seed

irisaddict: Still have the Lotus or Grape Hyacinth? I'd love to trade for one or both! =)

- Steve

• flowersglory
    14 years ago

Hey everone, I'm sorry to say I wont make the swap. Have been sick for a week. Been to the doctor, had shots and meds but still not well. This swap will be the fist I've missed in many years. So better pass and will be back at the spring swap.
    Have fun.

Glenda (flowersglory)

• new-gardener123
    14 years ago

I also have some obedient flowers. I forgot about those. I could also pull a Solomon's Seal or two. I got some from a friend in the spring and I don't have much but could bring one or two if anyone would want one.

Rebecca

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

Wanda feel better! It does not sound like you need a dose of the weather at this point. We will miss you till Spring. I dont think I will bring bananas unless someone asks for them. I dug some other stuff to add to the mix and will probably wallow in the mud tomorrow some more as well. Connie, I am bringing the monkey grass for you.

• conniemcghee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Rhonda! I hope you didn't get all muddy digging it up! Yuk, this rain! When will it be over??

Glenda, sorry you're not feeling well. It sounds like it's going to be pretty chilly on Saturday, so better to stay home and stay warm. :)

Sponsored