Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap

bigorangevol
16 years ago

My apologies to everyone for not being on GW as much as I should have been here lately. Business has been good which means that Ive been very busy.

ItÂs only five weeks and three days until we meet for the MTPS. October 20th is right around the corner so itÂs time to get crackinÂ!

If youÂve never been to a MTPS then you have no idea how much fun youÂve been missing!!! We have a website at http://www.midtnplantswap.com/ (Thank you Bec!) that will give you all the info you need but if you still have questions then feel free to email me at jtoothmanindadj@comcast.net or call me at 615-310-4155 and IÂll answer anything you can think of to ask.

I know that yaÂll are as excited as I am to have Doug Holder as our quest lecturer. In case you have been living under a rock or are new to the forum, Doug is the President of the East TN Daylily Society and his Mom & Step dad own Jeff & JackieÂs Daylily farm. If Daylilies are your thing then this is a must attend for you and if they arenÂt then you need to get with the program. Daylilies are one of the easiest flowers to raise and so beautiful with the myriad of varieties and colors they produce. We couldnÂt ask for a more knowledgeable speaker on the subject either. IÂve been looking forward to this for a long time! We are so blessed to have such qualified members here on GW to speak to us with authority about tons of differing subjects. A good many of our past speakers have been from right here within our GW community.

I realize that this has been one tough year for our green friends but I guarantee that there will be tons of cool stuff at the MTPS. We had over 100 folks hit the last Roll Call so I know that there are scores of you newbies and lurkers out there that absolutely need to make that leap of faith, get in your trucks and come on down to join us. We wonÂt bite and youÂll have the best time youÂve ever had! Frankly, the MTPS is as addictive as crack so once we get you to the first one we know youÂll make a point not to ever miss another. Over the past six or seven years Lavonne and I have been fortunate enough to landscape our property with almost exclusively plants that we received at the MTPS.

I want to take this opportunity to thank all of those who have attended in the past and especially those that have helped Lavonne and I as well as Jan and Jim to make this such a successful biannual event. (This means that IÂm asking for warm bodies to help me with registration, parking, unloadingÂ) Speaking of Jan and Jim Hobbs, make sure that you give them big hugs for letting us invade their lives and business twice a year. This would never have happened without their incredible generosity and their patience with a not-too-bright, old, short, fat guy with no clue.

So start potting-up, collecting seeds and getting together everything you want to swap with because your time is running out and the MTPS is going to be here before you know it. Can somebody bring a portable TV so I can keep track of the UT / Bama game? :-)

Comments (33)

• cannahavana
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Boo hoo, Jeff, I won't be able to make it! Never fear, Doug will still be there! I am working at the Clinch River Knap-In in Lenoir City again this year. Coty's Boy Scout troop is also the food vendor at the event, so there is no way I could get away. I was so looking forward to a canoe trip down the Buffalo again. I look forward to seeing those awesome pics from Joe again. He has some classic ones of you! I'm looking forward to the spring swap!

Rebecca

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I hate that. If Maleah isn't coming then I may bail too! :-)

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I guess it is just going to be me, Lavonne, Jan and Doug.

I hope that you two are going to bring Lavonne and I something good to swap for!

:-)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

I'm thinking about it. It's sooooooooooo far to drive, every year I say I'm not going to do it again. But then somehow I do anyway. So we'll see!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If there is anyone out there that would like information about the MTPS then you can go to our website at http://www.midtnplantswap.com/ or contact me at jtoothmanindadj@comcast.net.

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

Can't believe that the swap is only 4 weeks from this Sat...be good to see all you guys again.

Marianne...have you down for Frid and Sat. at the campground.

Hope there will be some strong backs to help move tables for the swap. Jim just can't lift them any more...so it will be up to you macho men at the swap...with someone's truck. In the spring Jim and I had to lift them ourselves UP into one of the vans...not again. We need your help to bring them to the campground and take them back, too.

Hope everyone remembers the drill with the food...you keep it hot or keep it cold. We are always short on meat and drinks. Someone left a multi plug so we can plug in several slow cookers.

Anyone else wanting to camp? Just let me know. Marianne would love the company.

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

• intimidator_3
    16 years ago

Jan, Maleah and I will be camping friday night, so be sure to put us down for a spot.

Doug

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

If you are going to attend the MTPS please kinda give us a heads-up so we have an idea how many to expect. Normally the fall swaps run between 50-80 folks and I'm counting about half a dozen right now so quit lurking and speak up you guys.

Norman & Barb where are ya'll and where are Joe & Kathy?

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

Doug, have you down for Frid. night. Maryanne will be glad for the company.

Anymore camping?

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

I will be there. I have very little to swap, a few plumerias and what other little bits I can figure out but I will be making the smoked ribs a tradition since they went over so well in the spring. See you all soon, Rhonda

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Hey Rhonda --

I never thought I'd want to grow plumerias, but lately I've been looking at a bunch of variegated ones on ebay. I don't suppose you've got any variegated?

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

Rhonda, Hey on the ribs. Jim and I really enjoyed those that you gave us!

Jan

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

I hope that the drought and heat damaged plants, and the fact that you don't have much/no plants to swap will not keep you from coming to the swap. Everyone is in the same boat...but we ALL need a gardening/swap buddy fix. We need the companionship of everyone...that includes YOU! Hope to see you ALL on the 20th. It wouldn't be the same w/o you there.

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

I do not see variegation on the plumeria leaves. I could not tell you what color they will be as The label does not say. I sure wish I had a variegated plummie for you. These plants were a recent purchase. I am hoping someone can guide me as to how to overwinter them. Tropicals have the most delightful fragrance. I am so hooked. I was thinking about bringing turkey too but not sure there will be enough folks to eat both turkey and ribs. Where are Mr. & Mrs. Materman, I hope they are coming. Who else is coming? Turkey or not to turkey that is the question. Rhonda

• tngreenthumb
    16 years ago

We are planning on being there. (Me, Cathy and Sis) Not sure what I'm bringing as so much has struggled this summer. Probably a few black elephant ears, lots of poppy seeds. And a bucketfull of the red castor bean seeds. Those did great this year. 6ft tall and at least that much across. (Thanks Norm.)

And for those of you that have never been, you won't be sorry. The links below will give you some idea of what to expect. (Yeah, I'm the photo guy.) And Jeff, you'll be happy to know that your favorite picture has rolled off to make space for new galleries.

Spring 2006
    Fall 2006
    Spring 2007

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Oh well, Rhonda, thanks anyway!

As for over-wintering, post a thread here and I bet Cheryl will answer it. I know she's been growing some plumerias lately, and I bet she's got all sorts of great advice!

• Jan_Hobbs
    16 years ago

Do you all realize that the swap is 2 weeks from this Sat??? Hope you are planning on being there.

I will we in Tucson AZ from the 2nd until the 11th, but will be back in time for the swap. If any of you have any questions, bug Jeff with them.

SEE YOU AT THE RIVER

Jan

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Rhonda, I have been growing plummies for about 3 years now and when I bring them in for the winter, I stick them in a dark corner (in their pots) and do not water them all winter. They will drop all their leaves and go dormant. In the spring, I drag them back outside and start watering and they will sprout their leaves back out.

Rebecca

• maternut
    16 years ago

Norm and Barb are planing on being there. Just don't have much stuff for the fall swap. Rhonda you can't bring too many of the ribs, also I sent you a Email but never got a answer. Wish I knew how to post a picture like some people I know the banana tree is between 15 and 20 feet tall this year.
    Norm

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Norm, if you eat those ribs not only will you have a Sorebellie but also a nice case of high blood sugar to drive back home with. Better let me have the ribs and you stick with a nice pasta salad and some steamed veggies! :-)

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

Yesss! Thanks Rebecca on the plummie advice. I can almost smell that picture. Now that I know I can stick them in a dark corner without even dusting it, I am down to one plant to bring to the swap. lol. That is alright. I will enjoy talking to Norm as he eats his steamed turnips. I don't know about everyone else but I have never been able to get away from the swap without being stuffed.

• andi956
    16 years ago

Hi Ya'll,

I missed the summer swap but have this one in my calendar. Sadly, nothing to swap as I'm a new gardener, but I can bring some food to share!

Happy planting.
    andi

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Andi come on down and have a great time with us!

• hermitonthehill
    16 years ago

I'm planning to attend. I feel really bad not having even been on the TN forum for so long. I won't even talk about how disappointing a growing year it has been - too depressing. I know others experienced/are experiencing the drought. Alas it was even sadder things that have kept me from my former happy-to-jump-in behaviour. Our two eldest Rotties crossed over the Rainbow Bridge within less than a month of one another and that was kind of the cherry on top of the series of sucky seasons.

At the Spring swap though I said I would roast a turkey for the Fall swap, and that is still my plan. If I screw up the turkey, I'll bring another meat of substance. And probably some side dish(es) of some sort. I've had one issue after another with the tires on my 'van, so even now I am trying to plan around using DH's little car. I'm not sure if I will be coming alone or with one or more kids? I've asked my mother if she'd like to do the day-trip with me.

Next to nothing to trade, save some baby cacti that folks can grow up indoors through the winter and take outside when the weather gets nice again next year. They aren't hardy outdoors all year round in our area, but even when they reach mature size (they bloom in flushes when old enough) they are very feasible to have growing in a pot that can be moved in and out as need be.

I know I need to make contact with some folks I met at the Spring swap and see what the chances are of them having an extra of this or that plant that either didn't weather the drought or despite my TLC, here recently croaked on me. It's been a very strange growing year to be sure.

I'm looking forward to the lecture. While I haven't jumped right in, one thing this year has brought me, was to a point of more interest in Daylilies. That's actually something I was able to harvest some seeds of to share. Nothing fancy, an unknown yellow, but perky and bright.

Hermit

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Where have you been Hermit? Good to see ya back!

I'm so sorry to hear about your Rotties!!! My best friend lost his last year and we're all still torn up over it. Bandit was 185 pounds of love. You just can't replace a big sweet-hearted buddy like that!

We should all be excited about Doug's lecture! Anyone that misses this is going to be kicking themselves for a long time.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Three days, 16 1/2 hours!

• sondra_tn
    16 years ago

Hmm guess I miss another one...as my daughter has basketball trny's on Saturday in Cleveland....3 of them in a row....in the spring it's softball!! LOL One day when the kids are grown and out of the house?? LOL

I want to come just for the company and the food!! LOL I can smell the ribs and turkey now....hmmmmmm

Hermit...I have the same feeling of you with this growing season...sure been strange here in east TN that's for sure!! Hence my being absent as well. I haven't even had much to photograph and show off. I heard next year it is supposed to be worse??

Oh, the Daylily speech I would love. I have acquired a few this past year. They are so showy ( if you have more than one) and so easy to take care of. :)
    Sondra

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Guys here is my bi-annual plea:
    I'm going to need at least a half dozen folks to help me with the tables, parking, unloading, sign-in, registration, name tags, clean-up, ect...

Please let me know if you are willing to lend a helping hand. If not I may be forced to delegate and enlist "volunteers". :-)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

I've gotten there pretty early the last two years, but given the distance I don't feel good committing to setup duties in case I have trouble on the road. But I'll for sure chip in with cleanup!

• tngreenthumb
    16 years ago

We should be there fairly early. As usual.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I need everyone that is interested in continuing the MTPS to show up Saturday. We are moving the spring swap to a new location.

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

Jeff, What time you want me to be there? I will be glad to pitch in. Rhonda

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

At 8:00 Jan will open the gates so anytime between 8:00-9:00.

Sponsored