Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigorangevol

The MTPS posting deluge has begun!

bigorangevol
16 years ago

I do this twice a year so most of you should be use to it by nowÂI want to hear your favorite stories, memories (excluding any of my embarrassing moments especially Spring of 2006) or what your favorite plants are that you have swapped for at the MTPS in the past.

I guess some of my favorite MTPS memories really donÂt have squat to do with plants. The lifetime friendships that we have built with so many of you guys is priceless; Maleah sitting and playing in the dirt four or five years ago is the just sweetest picture in my mind; any discussions with Jan and Mona were always a hoot; trying to keep an eye on where Joe is so that I can turn my back to the camera; Marianne Andretti getting pulled over in Hohenwald is a classic and some of the stories about the YaYaÂs camping escapades.

My favorite plants seem to change at least once a year depending on what weÂve swapped for lately. There have been soooooo many flowers that I canÂt begin to remember or name them all.

Let me hear yoursÂÂÂ

Comments (43)

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

HELLO!!!

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Okay, one of my favorite swap plants is the crinum bulbs I got from you a coupla years ago. Poor things sat out on my brick patio, unplanted, ALL WINTER after I got em. I finally planted them the next spring, and the danged things STILL bloomed a coupla times that summer. And they are still blooming at least a coupla times every summer since then. :-)

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Doc I swear that mine have bloomed at least four times this year. The last ones were just two weeks ago in the 100 degree heat AFTER I had cut the leaves back to the stalk! Those suckers are hardy.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys and my Vols are killin' me here!

We are only 34 short days until the Swap. October 20th is going to be here before you know it and this year it isn't likely that I'm going to feel too bad about missing the UT/Bama game. We've got Doug Holder, President of the East Tennessee Daylily Society, coming to give us a lecture on Daylilies which you know will be off the hook. So I'm hoping that instead of posting, which doesn't seem to be happening, ya'll are just spending all of your time potting stuff up and working diligently in preparation for the Swap.

Throw me a bone folks!

• mari5us
    16 years ago

Hey Jeff!!
    Your posting deluge is resembling the drought we've been suffering thru all summer ;),just kidding-I had to come back with something half smart alleck after your Marianne Andretti comment. Will I ever live down that embarrassment???
    I think my most precious memories are of the friends I've made and get to see each time we come together for our swaps. I truly treasure each and every one! I couldn't even begin to list my favorite plant ----each one comes with a person connected to it-like the crinums from you and hardy bananas from you and Norm,also the century plant Norm gave me one year.The brug's from Joe and Judith,also the canna's from who else but cannahavana! There are soooo many more to list-- both of plants and friends. The one thing that is now a great favorite is to camp out the night before and after the swap. I strongly encourage everybody to at least try camping once--I did and I was hooked. Waking up to see the river beside you and having friends camping nearby just makes the whole weekend complete for me.
    Jan--please condsider this my request for a reservation for a site for Friday and Saturday night-okay?
    Marianne (not) Andretti

• intimidator_3
    16 years ago

All right guys, I think its my turn to chip in and try to drum up some MTPS action.

I spent most of the day Sunday digging up and moving Daylilies. So consider this list of flowers a bribe/reward for letting me bore you to death about my favorite flower in a few weeks. These are all potted up since it will be late in the season and some folks may want to wait until spring to plant them.

MIDNIGHT MAGIC-1pot
    LORD CLAYTON-1pot
    COUNTRY PRIDE-3pots
    PRISCILLAS RAINBOW-4pots
    ALL IN ALL-3pots
    LARGER THAN LIFE-1pot
    SILOAM OLIN FRAZIER-2pots
    EASTER HOLIDAY-1pot
    ENCHANTED RAINBOW-1pot
    EMPERORS DRAGON-4pots
    SPACECOAST SURPRISE PURPLE-4pots

And by the way, if anybody has a specific question that they would like me to cover be sure to let me know. Im just starting to put the talk together now.

See ya at the River!

Doug

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Hey Doug!

Please keep me in mind for the following beauties:

Larger Than Life
    Emperor's Dragon
    Spacecoast Surprise Purple

Thanks!

• farmerbell
    16 years ago

Hey Doug! I got some daylilies from you at the spring swap and they have all done well. Can't wait until next year. What are you looking for in exchange? I love 'Emperor's Dragon'--how about a pineapple lily 'Sparkling Burgundy'? I also have extra seeds purchased on the Lily Auction.

I agree with Marianne. The friendships are so special. My neighbors probably think I am totally bonkers for spending so much time in my garden, but friends at the river make me feel almost "normal." They have so much passion for gardening and there is so much knowledge in that one group that volumes could be written about gardening! You guys could put to shame some of the gardening magazines.

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

I have to say that my favorite plant that we brought home from the the spring swap was the Momo Botan Lotus that Marianne Leadfoot shared with me. It has just finished blooming and had 5 blooms this year! Oh, and the food, and people and the canoe float and the camping and the...I could go on and on. One more, the smores from veggielover and her kids! YUM!

Rebecca

• intimidator_3
    16 years ago

Gotcha down Doc.

Farmerbell, why dont you send me a list of those seeds and we'll have a look see;^)

Im at southernskies@knology.net

Till next time

Doug

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ooooh, we like Siloam Olin Frazier and Spacecoast Surprise Purple!!! Doug I have no idea what we might have that you and Bec would want. Call me!

• mari5us
    16 years ago

Hi Doug !!
    I can't wait to hear your talk ----I've got lots to learn from you. Tell Becca that I'm so glad my Momo Baton lotus did so well for you guys---it really is a stunner isn't it?? How goes your tropical oasis ?? I've love to see the changes since my last visit and I'm dying to know what's coming up in your compost heap these days,lol. I would love to request some of your daylily's too. My top picks are Spacecoast Surprise Purple, Emperor's Dragon, Siloam Olin Frazier,Priscilla's Rainbow. Mid night Magic looks good too. Please let me know what I can offer you in return--- Are you hoping for any special plants ?? Let me know and tell becca and the kids hi from me.
    Marianne

• farmerbell
    16 years ago

Bummer! It looks like I will not be able to come to the plant swap this fall. Because of vision problems, I can't drive that far and my husband is announcing at a marching contest that day. Doug, I REALLY wanted to hear you speak about daylilies since I've become quite passionate about growing them, especially from seed. Plus, I would have loved to trade for 1 or 2 of the daylilies you are bringing to the swap. By any chance, is anyone taping Doug's talk?

Ann

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Ann, I forget -- where do you live? I betcha transport could be arranged!

And Doug -- thanks! Please check my plant lists for possible trades. I'm in the middle of updating my big GW list, and my short list is on the knoxplantswap forum site. :-)

• intimidator_3
    16 years ago

Ann, I agree with Doc. If your anywhere near the route Im taking down to the river then your more than welcome to ride with me. It will just be my daughter and myself and Ive got plenty of room. And even if you still cant make it, I would still like to see what seeds you have from the Lily Auction. We can still trade!

Doc, I glanced at your GW trade list and a couple of things caught my eye, but I will check your ETPS "short list" first.

Doug

• intimidator_3
    16 years ago

By the way Jeff. All I need in trade is your smiling face.

Man, I wish I could think of some embarrassing audience participation segment to my talk that I could use you for;^)

Im sure Ill think of something

Doug

• katzswoman
    16 years ago

Dear all Of My Plant Friends.....I would love to be there, but won't know until the last min if I will able to be there so I will sit back and know that if I can't make it again this fall that I can still pray for spring. As you all know it has been a very hard last two years, but the spring of 2006 will always be my favorite.....since Jeff said come and I did. I got a few plants but the crazy part was not one of the things that he warned me about....LOL LOL You didn't tell me I would be thrown right in and fit....You didn't tell me I would do car parking or be on the walkie talkie directing traffic. You did however tell me that i would meet great people and I did. If I get to come I will have my honey with me and my 4 year old. I miss all of you, I know I'm welcome and You are all special. I want to show this to my honey before he becomes totally blind......I'm working again...as a animal nurse and I love it. I'm not doing big animals anymore, but that is ok, small animals are a chore in itself. Hope to see you all soon. Sorry Marianne when you called the other night I had been in surgery for over seven hours and I just found out my son unplugged the phone for the last three days.I hope I get to see you all down at the river!!!!!
    Love Martha

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ann is in Franklin and I'd be happy to bring her with us but she probably won't want to leave at dark (4:00 a.m.) like I have to. If there is anyone else in the Nashville area that has some space, please holler at Ann.

BTW, she has the most beautiful place you have ever seen; NO LIE it is absolutely off the hook!!! I'm truly embarrassed to come home to Cheapwood after leaving her house.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

....thank you Doug! You're the man. I've gone from tuber-crazy to going nuts over Hemerocallis. Is there anything that is easier for morons like me to raise than daylilies? I thrive on stuff that is idiot proof.

• farmerbell
    16 years ago

Doug, I sent you an email from GW. Let me know if you did not get it.

Yes, Jeff, my yard is a total bomb after the late freeze and horrible drought. When we were under water restrictions I could only water from 8:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. and only with a hand watering device. Can you say flashlight in one hand and hose in the other? Obviously my garden really suffered. I did discover one thing, though. When one can only see a small area at a time with a flashlight, the weeds become MUCH more obvious.

• hosta_mom
    16 years ago

Hi Guys,

My FAVE thing about the plant swap is all the wonderful gardening friends I've made. I have a tie for my favorite things I've gotten there. First is the WONDERFUL crinum lily you shared Jeff & the other is the gourds Norm & his beautiful wife gave me. I have birdhouses all over my yard, which I decorated & have had families in them all. I actually got a couple large gourds & had Purple Martins for the first time - after trying for 3 years. I spent every dawn & dusk enjoying my bird friends.

I plan on being at the Fall swap if at all possible. I won't have many plants to swap - the freeze & then drought has been really hard on my yard this year. We were not allowed to water except with a bucket (NO HOSES) from midnight until 4 am.

I will try to get some crafty things / garden items ready in time. Anyone want to trade for some decorated gourd birdhouses? ;-) Or I have some cute toad houses I made too. Maybe a neat garden sign - I can fill a few requests by the 20th.

If anyone has a couple gourds large enough for martin houses, I'd love to have them. I'm hoping the babies come back with the parents & I need more space.

• intimidator_3
    16 years ago

Farmerbell, nope, I didnt get it.

You can just email me at directly at southernskies@knology.net

Doug

• cottagegirl_tn
    16 years ago

Well count me in! I found out about the MTPS totally by accident and was thrilled to live so close by. I live near Iron City but I'm a Waynesboro native!! I've been potting and starting cuttings like crazy. Can someone please explain how the actual swapping takes place? I'm a little confused. I'm bring my best friend and my sister so that'll be 3 of us. We are so excited. Most of my garden is pass along plants. I love plants with a history and of course freebies are awesome. I'm looking forward to this like kids do Christmas! See y'all there!!!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cottagegirl, send me an email at jtoothmanindadj@comcast.net and I'll give you all the information that you can stand!
    If you think that you are excited now just wait until Oct. 20th!!! :-)

Jeff

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

It is almost time! I love the swaps. I so look forward to seeing everyone. I complained and moaned my way through the late freeze and drought. Still, I have hope. If I am crazy, I can't wait to see all my lunatic friends. We will trade, feast, learn and build friendships. It is more excitement in one day than I have all year long. Rhonda

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We're only 18 days out. I hope that everyone is getting all their stuff together. If you miss the Doug Holder Daylily lecture you will be kicking yourself for a year.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We're at 12 days and counting. It's time to start getting stuff potted up, getting seeds harvested and bagged or whatever else needs to be done. Don't wait until the last second.

I haven't seen much in the way of pre-arranged swaps going on. If you are looking for something special then you had better post about it this week to see if anyone can help you out!

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Yeah, swap swap swap!

I'm looking for interesting variegated plants that I don't already have. My mom has also put in a request for heucheras and something else I've forgotten right now. ;-)

You can see my short trade list here:

http://knoxplantswap.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=132

My long plant list, still not complete but more up to date than it was, is here:

http://members.gardenweb.com/members/exch/amazindirt

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

Does anybody out there have multicolor buddleja? Or any butterfly bushes for that matter? I am looking for shrubs with interest, fruit or fragrance. Small to medium trees are cool. I would love to swap for fresh flower seed. I have a coreopsis that just rocked through the drought so will be bringing seed from that plant for sure. My zinnias shook that heat off real well too. I also have french hollyhock zebrina malva plants. They are tough and shrubby Whatcha got? Whatcha like to have? Ya'll can't be sitting under the air conditioner getting soft. Wear those calluses like badges of honor. The plant swap is coming. We must diggity dig dig! Is anyone interested in rose cuttings? Rhonda

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Hey Rhonda --

I don't have any "normal" buddleias any more, but I do have B. lindleyana 'Miss Vicie'. I could make some fresh cuttings if you want to try rooting it. It doesn't smell, but it has attractive purple flowers and I haven't succeeded in killing it for several years now. Just let me know!

• ladybug37091
    16 years ago

Thank you Amazindirt! I would surely give those cuttings a whirl. I was thinking about putting together a propagation station so to speak. I know you have a thing for variegation. Would a schefferella plant be too common for you? It is variegated but very large too. lmk, Rhonda

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Thanks for thinking of me, Rhonda, but I've already got all the schefflera I need. ;-) Don't worry about it. I'll bring some cuttings along and you can have a go at em.

In the meantime, look up Miss Vicie on the web and make sure you want it. It blooms all summer, grows up to tree size eventually (mine hasn't, because it's in a pot!), and the blooms hang down. Mine has also startled me this year by blooming continuously in shade. But I repeat, it is NOT fragrant like "normal" buddleias.

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Doc we have a verigated purple Iris. Want one? Iris for Ione! :-)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Been there, done that, probably bringing some to the swap myself. But thanks for trying! :-)

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Variegated Liriope maybe?

I think those are the only two things we've got that have variegation.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Don't worry about it, big guy!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We're up against it now! Only five days away. Time for everyone to get busy.

• irisaddict
    16 years ago

If we really get the rain that is forecast tomorrow, our first since 9/11, I may be able to dig something to bring to the swap. My ground is just concrete right now.

I hope next year I will have something to trade for the
    Momo Botan Lotus.

Evelyn, the wagon lady

• cottagegirl_tn
    16 years ago

Ok, so I scoured pics of prior swaps and have questions since this is my first time to attend a swap. What are the popsicle flags with numbers used for? How does the actual "swap" work? Is it just a big frenzy? Help!

• tngreenthumb
    16 years ago

It's a big frenzy. But a fun one! :)

Ideally, everyone gets a number. That serves two (at least) purposes. One, it helps with knowing how many people we had attend. It's also how door prizes are drawn. Everyone donates one plant to the prize table (if you can) and numbers are drawn periodically.

They can also be used to help keep track of who has something you want.

Since I do less swapping and more walking, talking and picture taking, I'm not the best one to spell out proper swap ettequitte. (Or even spell it.) But generally speaking, swaps don't take place until the "swap" is officially opened. (Other than those that were pre-arranged before they day of.)

Everyone tries to be there and be set up well before start time just so you have time to cruise the tables in order to decide where you want to go first. Just a heads up...

Oh, and there are usually several people handy to help you unload since parking is a little ways away from our preferred swap location. (Trust me, it's worth it.)

Never, EVER, just pick up something and walk away with it. (I know, that should be obvious, but it has happened.) If there is something at a table you'd like to inquire about, use that number to find the person who's table it's on. They may be right there or they may be looking at your stuff! But always make sure you have an arrangement with someone before taking anything.

Generally speaking people will have items behind or underneath thier table/space which they have already traded for. Those are off limits. Items on or in front of a person's table/space are considered there for trade and you should feel free to inquire about them. Most people are willing to trade for just about anything, but don't be offended if they don't want anything you have. Just move on and do the best you can. Who knows, someone else might have the same thing and just be dying to have what you brought.

If you don't have a lot to trade, come on anyway. Bring what you have and be patient and you will likely come away with more than you brought. (A lot of us old timers see it as a contest to get rid of more than we take home.)

Lunch is a potluck affair with some of the best food you can imagine. And some I never had! Just bring enough for your group and share with everyone. There is usally a speaker after lunch while everyone digests. (Or Naps...)

That's it in a nutshell.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

I like to think of it as a polite frenzy. ;-) Just remember to ask first, and all should be well!

We used those flags last fall -- I dunno if they've been used at other swaps, or not. Each trader got three flags. They could put those flags in plants on other traders' tables before the official swap time began, in order to get "first dibs" on those plants (more or less). Just sort of an advanced notice system. That's the only swap I've ever been to that used em, and I don't know if we'll be using em this time (Jeff?).

Swaps are tons of fun. I hope to see you there!

• bigorangevol
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That was an excellent idea that Renee came up with and I didn't follow through with it because I'm totally worthless and lazy.

Are ya'll sure that you wouldn't rather have someone else that is actually capable be the Swap Nazi? I love doing it but there have to be better options than me!!!

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

You're all the option we want, big guy. :-)