Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junebugntn

Creeping Jenny & Daylilies

junebugntn
11 years ago

I have Creeping Jenny that is crawling not creeping! Its covering the ground all around some Daylilies. Will it eventually choke out the Daylilies?

Comments (9)

• RedBird_7a EastTN
    11 years ago

JuneBug, I have creeping jenny in a small strip between the patio and bedded area. Mine creeps most of the time, but definitely crawls when there's been lots of rain. (In drought, it dies back quite a bit.) Mine is very easy to pull up.

• teri2
    11 years ago

I think Creeping Jenny will eventually strangle any herbaceous plant it comes near. But, as red bird said, it's easy to pull up if you get to it regularly.

• junebugntn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I can pull it up quite easily...I get the feeling it may end up going before its all over. Thanks for the input.

• donnajo1213
    10 years ago

My creeping Jenny is racing all over my garden. I have to pull it up every year. It is pretty, though, so I haven't gotten rid of it. If I ever disappear, I hope someone thinks to look under the creeping Jenny.

• bigorangevol
    10 years ago

I bet you can get rid of a bunch and trade it for more daylillies at The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap!

• junebugntn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We'll have finally decided to pull out the Creeping Jenny.. It was just too much in the narrow bed. Imagine I'll be working on this for a while. Did pass on some to a friend who wanted some.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I guess most people know this, but creeping jenny (Lysimachia nummularia) is an invasive plant. The TN-EPPC lists it as a "Significant Threat" to the environment. I would never recommend planting it or sharing it (unless the person promised they were growing it inside or something crazy like that). I often describe invasives as exponentially reproducing biological hazardous waste (which is not something I'd want to be dumping out into the environment).

Here is a link that might be useful: TN-EPPC Invasive Plants List

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    10 years ago

I hope the MTPS discourages trading invasives (at least the Severe Threat and Significant Threat ones). I know that invasives occasionally get brought to the ETPS, because some people don't realize they are harmful. I have the TN-EPPC site linked on the ETPS site and mention it every once in a while so that, hopefully, people will avoid the environmentally damaging stuff.

• junebugntn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Brandon. Didn't know or forgot it was an invasive. Glad to know I don't have to feel guilty about sending so much to the dump. Interesting to note how many top rated nurseries still carry plants deemed invasive.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting