Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ccmarks_gw

Evergreen dwarf shrub for sun?

ccmarks
15 years ago

I guess I'm too hopeful for a shrub that fills that above criteria AND blooms in summer. How about the same criteria without anything flowering? I just want to have seasonal interest and don't want bare spots in my front garden with anything that drops it's leaves in fall/winter. 3' high max.

Don't really want nandina (have some) or juniper (don't really like).

I'm in Nashville.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (3)

• conniemcghee
    15 years ago

Oh yes, sacrificing the flowering criteria definitely opens up a lot more possibilities! :)

Helleri hollies get about that height. I just bought some hollies called "Little Rascal," and they only get about two feet high by three feet wide (supposedly...that's what they say). I fell in love with the foilage on these. It's kind of crinkly. I bought them kind of late in the spring, though, and out of three now I'm down to two. :( I probably haven't watered them enough. I hope they do better once they're established.

What about arborvitae? There is a globe arborvitae that doesn't get huge, but I'm not sure it stays below three feet.

I'll tell you another plant I think has some awesome cool foilage - plum yew. But I don't know the ultimate size of those either. I *think* they stay small-ish...? I've seen some in our neighborhood that are about 2-3 feet right now. But, don't know how old they are.

You should go to a good nursery and look around and get them to make suggestions. Bates Nursery is good if you're north of town. If you're east, Needham's and Bagatta's.

Needham's has a good Web site and Bates' Web site is even better as it lists their exact inventory. :) You could spend some time looking around on those. Bates' site links you to pictures on Monrovia for a lot of their plants.

Hope that helps!

• ccmarks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll check out the plum yew and the arborvitae and thanks for the web site tips too.
    I found yews listed elsewhere too and am also going to check out Otto Luykens Laurel.
    Thanks!

• honeybunny442
    15 years ago

Use google images to look at Arborvitae Teddy. They are adorable! I got some this summer and they are so soft, they're fun to pet. No flowers though, sorry.
    This doesn't have flowers either that I know of, but what about one of those red barked dogwoods? Small shrubs that have bright red bark in winter, no leaves but they look cooler without them!