Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msbasselope

original muscadine vines

msbasselope
15 years ago

I hope someone out there can help. I am looking for original muscadine vines. Not the hybrid grape but the ones you used to find on the side of the road. Our highway dept has mowed and bushhogged ours down and we want some back to place on our property. If anyone out there has any around the middle tn area, please let me know or if you know someone who would share a vine or two that would be great.

Thanks for any help.

Cindy

Comments (12)

• tngreenthumb
    15 years ago

I wonder if they are harder to get going than the hybridized ones? I haven't ran across any of the natives ones in a long time. But I still remember them.

I think my brother has some but I'm not sure where he got them. (He's into making wine.) I'll try and remember to ask him about it.

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

One problem is that the severe freeze back in the 80's when our temperatures got to MINUS 28F for three nights killed all the local muscadines on the cliffs along the Holston River (northeast of Knoxville). They haven't come back.
    You need to find vines that had a warmer three day period back then.

• rockguy
    15 years ago

msbasselope, where are you? There are a lot of them growing wild in the counties west of Nashville.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

There are tons of them growing around Knoxville too. I have a hard time getting rid of them. I think I could chop them to the ground, spray them with roundup, and burn them with a blowtorch without them missing a beat. They are very persistent when you don't want them.

• msbasselope
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am in Shelbyville and my friend that wants some lives in Tullahoma. He makes homemade wine and jellies and I am hoping to be able to get him some vines reestablished on his farm. Let me know if he can come and get some and he is willing to dig them himself.
    Thanks to all
    Cindy

• rockguy
    15 years ago

Well, if yours were mowed, the roots will still be there. They will sprout out from the roots if you dig some up.

• tennesseetrash
    15 years ago

Muscadine and scuppernong vines grew wild around creek banks in Northwest Georgia where I used to live, but now I'm in the Chattanooga area. I'd love to have a starting of a muscadine vine too ... muscadine jelly is tops! (well, maybe blackberry ties for 1st place) Anyhow, the best flavor comes from the wild vines or plants.

I have quite a few landscaping or tropical plants to choose from if we could trade.

~tenderlee

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

Were these the black or golden variety?

I have a few "Magnolia Scuppernog" which is a bronze muscadine, on order for my modest vineyard. I could easily layer off a baby plant this spring.

Personally I don't fancy the black variety, too "foxy" and sweet for me, but the bronze varieties, and specifically the magnolia makes nice jelly and amazing wine.

• fruitfarmer101
    11 years ago

I live north of Mcewen Tn. and operate a pick your own farm. Black berries,blue berries and muscadines.The woods around my farm are full of the wild muscadines however, I've only found a few vives that actually produce fruit.They are the black type about the size of a nickle.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

Fruitfarmer,

I bet if you have large/mature vines (that have reached up into the top of the tree canopy), they are all fruiting. You probably just never see them because the birds remove the fruit before they drop. Smaller/shaded vines are not likely to have fruit.

• TheGardenMaster
    11 years ago

I've been building a native tennessee grape collection for years and find that the muskies love to grow in another bush.I have my fave bronze muskie vine growing in a huge forsythia and it loves it, keeps it close to the ground to get the huge yield off of it.Most of my vines are grown informally as part of my gardens structure, no rows, plenty of different grapes for me and the wildlife all around.

• TacomaCeleste
    9 years ago

I have a bunch of wild Muscadine vines on my property. I mean a bunch. I have quit a few older mature vines that I harvest from each year. But if someone wanted to dig and transplant some of these younger vines that are growing across the ground, they have not made it to growing up a tree yet, that would be fine with me. I would rather see them go to use and get a chance to grow than them die.

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years