Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plants4chris

Praise for the suvivors of '07

plants4chris
16 years ago

There's so much that's depressing to discuss in gardening at this point. It's just not a happy year to be a plant or a plant-lover in TN. So I wanted to take a minute to give some praise to my survivors. The plants that have hung on and given me green leaves and even some blooms.... thru freeze and drought and deer and bugs!

Blackberries - (Nanhoe I think) - tons of berries when there hasn't been much food crop to harvest.

Sweet Autumn Clematis - huge full deep green vines totally covered with blooms

PeeGee Hydrangea - This has actually done better than my Oak Leaves, probably because the deer don't seem to be interested in chowing it down as readily. This was my only hydrangea to bloom this year.

Redbud trees - Although two 1-yr olds have suffered, the more established ones have done much better than the dogwoods.

Meidiland Roses - The largest and most impressive is "Magic" (dark pink) that is growing on a clay bank. NO supplental water at all and it's thriving. I don't think it realizes it's a rose!

Crepe Myrtles - I thought they were toast after the freeze but they struggled back slowly and even showed some blooms.

Various Salvias and Lantanas

Caryopteris (Summer Sorbet) - This was a new plant this spring and it has grown 3 feet high and wide and is full of lovely little blue blooms. The variegation on the leaves has held up perfectly! My new favorite! (To be fair... this was a new plant so it has had supplemental watering.)

These are not my only survivors, nor are they the only plants in my gardens that have done well. But for the most part these gems thrived without being watered or babied in any way. It's likely I could have had more to add to the list, but the drought has made the deer very hungry and they make their rounds thru my gardens every night, eating things they have never touched before like iris, roses and daylillies.

I would love to hear what plants have performed well for others this year. I will be on the look out for them to add to my own gardens.

Comments (6)

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

cast iron plant, cast iron plant, cast iron plant. Can't sing its praises enough! Full sun, heavy shade, clay, sand, soggy soil, drought! All with flying colors! Needle palm may be slow growing, but its a trooper too!

• jim_6b
    16 years ago

My Echinacea tennesseensis did very well this year. They are planted in full sun and received very little water. I have collected 3 five gallon buckets of coneheads and will be posting a SASBE offer on the Seed Exchange soon for anyone interested.
    Jim

• farmerbell
    16 years ago

Could it be cypress vine? Check the link below. If so, you will have it in your yard for 100 more years. It reseeds abundantly, to say the least.

Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Cypress Vine

• farmerbell
    16 years ago

Duh!!! My previous message was an answer to another post. How did it get here? Just because I am old doesn't mean I could be slipping some, does it? I know, it must be the computer gremlin that mixed it up. Sorry, folks.

• krikit
    16 years ago

Oddly enough, I was just thinking the other day how some of my plants had been real troopers thru the drought. Best of show: China roses, Jean Bach Sisley & Cramoisi Superieur; polyantha Perl d'Or; and tea Gilbert Nabbonand have all done really well. So much so I was looking at my Knockout roses and thinking of replacing them with some chinas, nothing against the knockouts, but the chinas sure have been pretty!

• djs537
    16 years ago

Hello All , I walked though my yard this pass week.....for the first time since we had the weeks and weeks of 100 + degree weather, was afraid what I'd find , I have a small yard mostly hilly riddled with rocks , large and small and what little rain i did get ran mostly into street .... best plants in my Nashville yard were ...
    Crinum 's two large clumps at two different level's ....just a bit of browning on the leaves , bloomed twice . all sedum's look fine , fall gregii salvia looking good ... loriope variegata , ornamental blue fescue grass , culinary sage , garlic chives ,4ock's , oxalis , candytuff , iris , aster - purple dome ,TN. columbine , spieces canna , ceratostigma plumbaginoides , fall A. clematis ,
    The rest appear to be dormant or AT least that's what I'm hoping ! and oh yea ! sea oat grass every where sea oat grass which is beautiful , but what a thug . I did water but mostly houseplants and container's , and potted up perennial 's , the rest was on it's own .

Sponsored