Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this?

Posted by smferguson Z6 Nashville (fergydad@comcast.net) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 14:56

Is it a weed? Are these berries good to eat or poison?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this?

a very hard to remove weed. they call it poke salad I believe, and once is big the root is hard to pull up thus requiring some digging and all those berries are seeds.
Roundup does a nice job at killing it.

o

It's Phytolacca americana, commonly called pokeweed. "Poke salad" is a mispronounced twist on another of it's common names, poke sallet. All parts of the plant are highly poisonous, but the leaves can be repeatedly blanched (to remove the toxins) and eaten as greens. Berries and shoots can also be specially cooked, to remove toxins, before being processed and eaten.

o

The juice of the berries was used in colonial times for ink. It starts out purple, turns brown in time.

o

Thank you for posting this!

I have a giant one in my yard; it's very pretty! No offshoots so far. I plan to keep it so the birds will have something to munch on.

o

Ah... poke. My grandmother told me that she used to cook the leaves like brandon7 described. I've never tried it.

o

My father remembered picking "poke sallet". Apparently the smell of it cooking is not appetizing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here