Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
behaviorkelton

Pine Tree recommendation? (knoxville)

behaviorkelton
11 years ago

I was thinking of creating a stand of pine trees in my woods.

Are there pine trees that do well in this area?

Medium to large trees are preferred.

Comments (4)

• Tn_Tree_Man
    11 years ago

Eastern white pine (Pinus strobus) is a good shade tolerant pine. Is your woods a woodland garden or just a forest on your property?

• behaviorkelton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have an entire section of my wooded area that I am, basically, opening up to the sun.

That section has a huge number of sick and pathetic black walnut trees (and with an amazingly aggressive number of black walnut saplings).

I'm wanting to consider some trees to begin refilling the open areas. I'd like a pecan orchard and have started with that, but would like some evergreens sprinkled through their as well. Also, wouldn't mind some pine in my open yard area, too.

• Tn_Tree_Man
    11 years ago

Eastern white pines or Eastern hemlocks (Tsuga canadensis) are your best conifers bet in shaded areas.

If you have nice open areas in the yard with ample sunlight, Loblolly pine (Pinus taeda) will look good as a speciman tree. It will get to 60 - 70 ft tall in a short amount of time. It is also a good self-pruning pine.

If you can find a source (there are some in our neighboring states), plant a Longleaf pine (P. palustris).

You have a lot of pine options. Do not choose Virgina pine (P. virginiana). They get big here and are short lived. They are also a favorite of the cyclical Southern Pine Beetle.

You should not have much trouble cultivating pines in our area (Knox-Sevier County) regardless of species.

As a side: The black walnuts that are "sick and pathetic" are not showing symptoms of Thousand Cankers by chance? Check the link from the TDF for the TCD symptoms checklist. TCD has been confirmed to be in our region.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thousand Cankers Disease Checklist

• behaviorkelton
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'll look into the black walnut sickness, but I am assuming that the canker problem is what's doing them in.

While young and thin, they seem very robust. The saplings grow to 20' seemingly in one summer.

I cut my first black walnut less than a year ago. A big one. But couldn't find any takers from the saw mills because they say that they aren't allowed to export any black walnut wood.

I'm going to keep some of the fully dead ones because I understand that some critters enjoy them as habitat.... and dead trees do not cast a problematic shade anyway.

I'll check Stanley's for those pines.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH