Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnabaskets

Camellias in Kingsport?

Donna
13 years ago

Hi, folks. I hail from Mississippi, but my newlywed niece has asked me to help her design a garden for their first home in Kingsport. I would love to use Shishi gashira Camellias, but am finding conflicting information on winter hardiness. Anyone have EXPERIENCE? She will not want to go to extreme measures for winter protection, so give me the straight scoop.

What about April Kiss as a substitute? This should be plenty cold hardy. My question on it is if it would be the right form and size to use in a foundation area: reasonably dense, and no more than 4 to 5 feet high and wide (or maintainable with no more than once yearly pruning).

These shrubs will get full sun until mid afternoon. Here in MS, shishi does great in full sun. Again, I am looking for the voice of experience.

If anyone has alternative suggestions for other camellias that meet these size specs, I'd be grateful!

THANKS y'all!

Comments (4)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Donna,

I noticed you haven't gotten any response yet. I've had a little experience with camellias, but not enough to be giving personal-experience advice. Have you considered visiting some of the larger nurseries in your area and asking them if they know of examples of mature camellias in your area? I know there are many large, mature camellias in the Knoxville area, but I also know there's quite a bit of difference in climate between here and there.

• doonie
    13 years ago

Donna,

Brandon directed me over here to the Tennessee forum from the tree forum. Glad to find this place!

I live in NE Tennessee, same area, and I have tried twice to grow camelias without success. I planted them close to the house for some winter protection, but they ended up declining over 1 to 2 years. I love them, but I'm not going to try them again. That's my limited experience for what it's worth.

• KatyaKatya
    13 years ago

Tea bush is a camelia botanically, though I know it is not what you are interested it. There is one at the ETSU in a sheltered location and it does not look very happy, but survives.

• myrtleoak
    13 years ago

Winter temperatures may not necessarily be the problem with the decline. Camellias are fussy about their growing conditions. First, camellias do not prefer full sun. They're most happy with light shade or filtered sunlight (like through tall pines). Secondly, they hate clay soil and need good drainage. In this way they are not unlike azaleas and rhododendrons. Finally, they want acidity. I planted mine in soil amended with desert potting soil. When you place the root ball in the hole, leave about 3 inches above the ground line and create a mound around the exposed ball (or better yet, create a raised bed). Using pine straw as a mulch will help acidify the soil and keep the roots moist. I also add some Holly-tone or similar acidic fertilizer every spring. Finally, camellias can vary greatly in hardiness depending on the cultivar. My guess for the Kingsport area nowadays is probably 6b/7a or barely 7a, as winter lows can be as much as 8 degrees colder than Knoxville metro (which has been averaging 7b, nearly 8a in recent years) in some areas of the Tri-cities. To be safe, you may want to go with one of the new hybrids that have been developed, many of which are hardy to zone 6. These will not be C. japonica or C. sasanqua but will be labeled Camellia 'Ice Queen' or something of the like. If you prefer a japonica or sasanqua, make sure that you choose the hardiest of cultivars. 'Greensboro Red' (japonica) and 'Yuletide' (sasanqua) do well here in Knoxville. Check with a local nursery to see which cultivars (if any) of the non-hybrids have proven hardy long-term in your area. If a cultivar is "iffy", good siting and warm microclimate may be able to push the envelope.

Sponsored