Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwiegers_gw

Pretty Hedge

mwiegers
16 years ago

Hi All,

I just joined this gardenweb forum so am new to this. I'm also new to gardening so I need some advice. We are wanting to plant a hedge along a chain link fence for more privacy. THere is a large Water Oak that is right in that fence. Plus a large pine and black walnut close by (within 20 feet). So there is mixed amount of shade and sun. One end of the hedge has sun, the other end only gets bits of sun through the trees. So I guess its partial to full shade. Any suggestions on nice medium to fast growing hedge that is pretty, possibly flowering?

Cleyera has been suggested to me by the Barn Nursery (here in Chattanooga), and it seems like a good idea, but want to be sure. I would like it 6-8 feet tall, evergreen, but not look like a wall like privet or other such formal hedges. Any help would be great! Thanks,

Michelle

Comments (6)

• mwiegers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was also advised that Camellia might be nice. Are they hardy and easy to grow? I'm nervous that I'll get something that won't grow well or easily. The flowers on the Camellia are so beautiful, that would be nice. Any advice?
    Michelle

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

I love camellias, myself. They ought to do pretty well in Chattanooga, if you can give them some shade (which it sounds like you can). I keep several camellias in pots here in Knoxville, and for the most part they are doing fine. Don't let them dry out too badly, and don't let them get sunburned, and that's pretty much all they ask for.

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

'Greensboro Red' is very hardy camellia japonica that has done very well for me here in Knoxville and is the most common camellia in this area. There are also some pretty hardy camellia sasanquas, including 'Jingle Bells'. Also look for anything with the word "ice" in the name, such as 'Ice Queen'. Shade is a must! One of my Jingle Bells was in a sunnier location and got scorched! Word of advice: they don't like poor drainage. Make sure you work the soil well before you put them in. Check your local nursery. They will usually only offer varieties that have done well in your area; there are many less hardy varities that should be reserved for the deep south. They also like acidic conditions; grab a bag of Miracid or Hollytone when you buy them.

• catbird
    16 years ago

Be aware that black walnut roots give off a substance (juglome?) that can kill or stunt other plants growing near the tree. There are things that aren't bothered by it, though. You might want to do an internet search to check that out. Also, avoid privet!! It may be loverly in England, but it's an invasive pest in the southern US. There are a lot of hollies of all sizes that should do well in your circumstances. Most will take full sun or some shade. Personally I prefer to mix up different plants so if one dies -- or gets broken in a blizzard as ours did :-( -- you can put in something new and it will blend in.

Do you have easy access to both sides of the fence? Our neighbor has a back yard that's too big for meticulous care. His fence runs along our back yard and I have found that it's impossible to keep vines and junk from growing into anything I plant close to it. I plant things 4' or so back from the fence and stagger different things in a way that gives privacy and access to the back side to mow/weed.

• mwiegers
    Original Author
    16 years ago

myrtleoak- thanks for the tips on buying some Miracid or Hollytone. I purchased 12 Mr. Otto camellias and we're going to plant them this weekend. I'm planning to dig the whole big enough to leave 4 inches on all sides (except top) of the root ball to put in soil conditioner. Would you mix the Miracid or Hollytone in with the soil conditioner?

catbird- I'm going to be planting these at least 3 feet from my neighbors fence. And I do have some access to the other side, but need to get permission to do anything over there. But for the most part I think my neighbor will be fine with me killing anything that is trying to take over the bushes. She'll be enjoying the hedge too I think. So I think she'll be helpful. Thanks for the tips.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Actually....

These days, many people are advising AGAINST amending soil in a planting hole. It seems that, if you do, the plant will tend to grow roots ONLY in that amended dirt -- rather than growing out into the surrounding area as they should.

YMMV. In my yard, though, the shrubs gotta live with the dirt that came here -- OR a whole amended bed, rather than an amended hole.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?