Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer in Knoxville

Posted by teri2 7B TN (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 12 at 18:37

Last week I looked out my back door and saw my first deer in this area. It was feeding on leaves in a wild, weedy patch but was only 30 yds away from the backyards of a string of condos. It raised its head to look at me then slowly went deeper into the brush. It didn't appear to be frightened of me.

I'm of 2 minds about this - first off, it was a really beautiful animal that I enjoyed seeing; but I can't help be afraid it will find something tasty in my garden. I already share enough with the local rabbits. Has anyone else in East TN got deer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer in Knoxville

Sure, deer are very very common around here. I see them all the time.

Unless you live in the city, I'd be more surprised if you didn't see them.

o

Also consider
that deer carry the mites that spread Lyme Disease.
That deer collisions can total cars and damage people (and deer aren't that logical when confronted with cars and trucks).
That deer can destroy gardens, orchards, and landscape plantings.
That your neighbors may decide they are cute and may begin feeding them and giving them names.
That each female will probably produce an offspring every year.
That many neighborhoods frown (understatement) on 'deer reductions' (a rather odd phrase I heard up in Indiana for reducing deer populations in a state park).

That one cute doe may be a heard of twelve in eight years.

o

Live in Charlotte, NC but spend a fair amount of time in E. TN so I was browsing this forum. Our deer population in the city is exploding and with it the coyote. Missing pets and coydogs are starting to become big concerns along a greenway I live near. My garden is raided at least weekly (5 doe and 7 fawns this weekend). I would be very careful about allowing deer populations to soar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here