Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon7_gw

'Plant Speak'

brandon7 TN_zone7
15 years ago

A recent thread brought up the phrase "evergreen in warmer climates". That got me to thinking, I don't think I've ever seen a discussion about all the words and phrases that are used when discussing plants that have different or slightly different meanings than they otherwise would. What words have you ran into when discussing or reading about plants who's definitions might be useful for those not familiar with the terms or phrases? Maybe this topic is too large to cover thoroughly here, but I'd be interested in at least starting the topic.

Here's a few random examples that I've frequently used. I'm not sure the definitions are perfect, but hopefully they'll be close.

annual - a plant whose life cycle in normally completed in one year.

biennial - a plant whose life cycle typically spans two years.

tender perennial - a plant frequently grown as an annual in colder areas but whose life cycle could span several years in warmer areas.

key - a flowchart used to identify a specific type (genus, species, cultivar, etc.) of plant.

random-access plant key - a program or system used to identify a type of plant, that allows the user to input only the available information.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!