Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tn_veggie_gardner

A Big Favor: Ride Along To MTPS

tn_veggie_gardner
14 years ago

My wife just informed me last night, when she asked me the date of the swap, that she has that whole weekend booked with photography sessions. It's awesome for her, but since we have just one vehicle, it means I won't be able to make it to the swap unless I find another way to get there. :( I'd be willing to toss someone $10 for gas & maybe a pre-selection from my goodies i'll be bringing. I know it's a lot to ask to ride along with someone to the MTPS, but I really want to go! :( Unless my father-in-law says he's going with me, I won't have any other way to get there. If anyone wouldn't mind me tagging along, i'd really appreciate it.

- Steve

Comments (27)

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

I'd take you but I'll be going down Friday afternoon and spending the night with Tim & Cindy. Sorry.

• golfngardennut
    14 years ago

Where are you located?

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm in Hermitage, about 2-3 miles from Purcy Priest lake.

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

Steve, it's PERCY not Purcy. :-)

Here's a short little history lesson that most folks in this town under the age of 70 have no clue about....

James Percy Priest was a member of the Tennessee U. S. house of Representatives from 1941 until his death in 1956. Priest was born in Maury County, Tennessee. He attended Central High School in Columbia. He attended State Teachers' College in Murfreesboro (now MTSU), and Peabody College in Nashville. He taught school in Culleoka, in Maury County from 1920 until 1926, when he joined the editorial staff of the Nashville Tennessean.

In 1940 Priest ran for the U. S. House of Representatives as an independent in the 5th District which is in Nashville. He won in an upset, defeating the incumbent Democratic Congressman Jo Byrns, Jr. He joined the Democratic caucus, and was reelected seven times. He served as the House majority whip between 1949 and 1953. Priest was one of three Democrats of our seven in the Tennessee House delegation who didn't sign the Southern Manifesto, the others being Joe Evins and Ross Bass. Republicans Howard Baker Sr and Carroll Reece didn't sign it ether nor did Tennessee Senators Al Gore Sr. and Estes Kefauver.

The Southeren Manifesto was written by, then, Democratic segregationist Strom Thurmond from South Carolina and D-Richard Russell from Georgia to opposed racial integration in public places. Both were blatant racists and they also opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1957.

At the time of his death, Priest was serving as the chairman of the House Commerce Committee and had already secured the Democratic nomination for a ninth term, which had essentially assured him of reelection since no Republican has been elected to the U.S. House of Representatives from Nashville since Reconstruction (81 years I think). Priest was interred at Woodlawn Cemetery in Nashville over here on Thompson Lane.

• maternut
    14 years ago

Mercy Mercy Mercy, Steve steal his soap box.

• palmetto_gardener
    14 years ago

I'd wondered who PP was, but too indolent to look it up. Interesting history.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    14 years ago

Deja vu all over again...

Come on Steve, you gotta know how to spell where you live! I live 150 miles away and know how to spell it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Previous Post with Correct Spelling

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

I wasn't really trying to be a smart aleck or Mr. SpellCheck.

Being a History major, I find this stuff incredibly interesting; especially the history of Nashville and Nashvillians! I'm sure that there are at least a million people or more in this town that have no idea who J. Percy Priest was yet we drive by the lake, dam, school and neighborhood that were named after him all the time.

He had a repair of a duodenal ulcer and was recovering but a massive hemorrhage took his life. Earlier in the year his doctor in Washington had warned him not to delay the surgery, but Priest had replied, "Later, I have too much to do right now." He knew that recovery would take three to four months. Since 1956 was an election year, he returned instead to his home in Nashville (at 417 Fairfax Avenue), campaigned as an incumbent in the August primary for Tennessee's Fifth Congressional District (Davidson County), and steamrolled to an easy victory. Rather than take care of himself, he persisted with his hectic schedule--speeches, parades, and running the statewide campaign for the Adlai Stevenson-Estes Kefauver Democratic ticket (Ike & Nixon spanked them taking 41 states). He was also looking forward to leading the singing at Union Station before Billy Graham's special train left Nashville for Louisville in October. But in late September, after speaking to a men's group, Rep. Priest collapsed and was rushed to the hospital.

Priest was a visionary, predicting that in fifty years (from 1946) mental illness would be one of the biggest health concerns in our country. With TVA, he visualized the program's ultimate goal: recovery, restoration, and utilization of the land of the Tennessee Valley (an area covering seven southeastern states). His legislation improved and advanced public health, education, and scientific research.

"It must be divine Providence," three-time House Majority Leader and former Speaker of the House John McCormack declared, "Crisis sends men like Lincoln, Wilson, and Roosevelt to the White House, and men like Percy Priest to the legislative branch."

Priest was deeply admired and respected by his contemporaries. Several friends said he tried to "live as much like Jesus" as anyone they had ever known. In the House he was the most beloved man on either side of the aisle. His family knew that if he had to get to the top by walking on people he would rather not go. His constituents felt free to stop by his office in Washington unannounced, and he always obliged them.

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

Norm I wasn't soap-boxin'! You of all people should recognize when I'm on fire about something rather than just passing info.

Dang Brandon, I didn't realize that I had already done that. My memory is so pathetic. I'd like to blame it on age but I think that other factors from the 70's are most likely attributable in this case. I'll go ahead and lay it on being 50 though. But hey, you gotta admit that this synopsis was far more detailed and in-depth than the first one... don't you think?

That was a great thread about the Spring MTPS. Thanks for linking it.

:-)

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

I'm sure that there are some folks in the Priest Lake/Donelson/Hermitage/BNA/Antioch area that could squeeze Steve and some plants in their truck/car.

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Sorry for the hijack Steve, but I just had to say: Jeff, have you ever been to the City Cemetery tour they do in October? This is put on by the DCMGs. Every year they feature a dozen or so famous Nashvillians, and have actors dress up in period costume and tell their story. You definitely need to go if you have not been...and I'm thinking you would be an extremely highly-valued volunteer for this event if you were so inclined. :)

• ladybug37091
    14 years ago

Connie, Jeff already did that gig in Georgia as James Brown. Waaaaahaha. Sorry, Jeff I could not resist. My side is hurting and my eyes are watering. : ) All funning aside, I hope somebody can help Steve out.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lucky for Jeff I haven't been online for a few days to see his grammar lesson...lol. Unfortunately for me, it was because of continuing issues with my hip. :-\ Anyways, i'd be willing to help with gas for anyone who can let me ride along & they can have the first pick of my items i'll be bringing too! =)

P.S. - For Jeff: Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest Purcy Priest ;-)

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

Did someone mention Jeff Brown?

You know I had to...

• bigorangevol
    14 years ago

Thanks soooooooooooooo much Rhonda and Zig! I'd sure hat to think that picture had fallen off of the face of the Earth!!!

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hahahahahaha...love that pic! =)

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anyone help a dude out with a ride? :-\

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Have you thought about someone getting you to the Inn at the Park "FRIDAY" from where you live for the night, and getting a ride back home on Saturday?

• tngreenthumb
    14 years ago

Wish I could help you out, Steve. But I'll be leaving Nashville around mid afternoon on Friday. I have to go pick up my sister and her stuff. And the truck WILL be full.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

columbia: That's a possibility. I'm sure I could get a ride from there to the MTPS. How far away from the MTPS site is it (If I remember right, it's only about 1/2 mile, if even that, but i'd still need a ride for that 1/2 mile, if I had stuff to bring to swap)? I don't get off work Friday until 6-7, so it'd be a stretch to get someone (from my family) to drive me there, then come back home the same night. I could probably swing leaving work a tad early, but no earlier than 5 & would still have to have 30-40 mins to get home & get stuff ready to bring. Heck, jim6b even e-mailed me saying he can't make it & would love to give me his 6 plants he wanted to take (lambs ear & 5 lemon balm). I could take those & do some swapping for him too, if I was able to go.

I would be willing to ride along with someone from GW/here on Friday who could drop me off @ The Inn at the park, then pick me up to go to the swap the next morning (How much are the rooms there? I don't need anything fancy...cheapest possible would be fine, i'm sure). I don't know who'd be able to though. I know a lot of people would like to help, but have already made their transportation plans & stuff. It's not looking good right now for me making it there. I'm still picking at my father-in-law to see if he wants to go with me, where he would drive & i'd give him gas money & buy our food item we'd be bringing, but I don't think that's gonna happen. I really would love to go, too. :(

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

tn veggie gardner--Henry Horton State Park has a web site with all the information. Just make sure you spell it correctly or you know what "JEFF" will do !! LOL

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hehehe...will do. ;-) I'll check it out.

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cheapest room is $70 per night. That's not gonna happen. :(

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, guess what? My wife's session Saturday the 17th is now confirmed to be scheduled for 3 PM. That means, I can now make it to the swap! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!! =) My father-in-law will be coming to my house to take Emily to dance class that morning. I will obviously have to leave the swap at like 12:30-1:00, but i'll be there for a while! I'm bringing some lemon balm plants jim6b wanted to bring, but since he's unable to attend this year, he asked me if I wanted them. I already have a huge LB plant, so I would like to find these babies some good homes at the swap, which i'm sure won't be too hard to do. I'm excited. I was really starting to get upset at not being able to make it. I was trying to think of everything I could do to get there somehow. Now, I can drive there myself. I need to start getting my plants, jarred goods, etc. ready to bring. Soooooo, this topic/thread no longer applies. =)

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! =)

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

YES IT DOES, YAHOO TO YOU!!

• jim_6b
    14 years ago

Hi Steve,
    I'm glad everything worked out with the ride.
    I was talking with some of my friends at work about my plants and it turns out that they (my plants) have new homes. I hope everyone has a great time at the swap.
    jim_6b

• tn_veggie_gardner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok, good to know, jim. for us gardners, giving away plants is like giving away kittens, you want to make sure they get a good home. =)

Sponsored