Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elephant Ears/Dahlias

Posted by jtrick 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 17, 08 at 22:09

I notice that Tennesse is in either zone 6-7 and you keep your elephant ears and dahlias in the ground over the winter. Does the temperatures get below zero there? I am in zone 6 and every website says to dig them up and store them over the winter or bring them in the house.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elephant Ears/Dahlias

We leave both in the ground but mulch heavily over them after the first frost.

Come to The Middle Tennessee Plant Swap on Saturday, October 18th at Henry Horton State Park and I'll probably have some Dahlias. Visit our website at: http://www.midtnplantswap.com/

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 18, 08 at 14:29

Most of Tennessee is now realistically in zone 7 with just a few places in a high 6b or low 8a. I'm in Knoxville (borderline 7b/8a, average yearly low about 11 degrees F) and my dahlias do fine with no special protection. Elephant ears vary depending on the variety. Some are hardy here, some not. As with many types of plants, their ability to survive low temperatures will be greatly affected by soil drainage/moisture.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Somewhat Updated Hardiness Zone Map

o

Hmmm. I have some dahlias this year. I have never tried leaving them in, but maybe I should? :) I think I will!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here