Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rader_ranch

WHat the heck is this little critter?

rader_ranch
16 years ago

My wife brushed her hand against it and it left welts on her hand for a couple days....

[img]http://www.raderranch.com/Library/pic%20storage/pokeypillar1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.raderranch.com/Library/pic%20storage/pokeypillar2.jpg[/img]

Comments (22)

• rader_ranch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dangit...

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Wooooooooooooooooooow.

I have no idea what he is -- but he certainly is impressive!

• ladybug1
    16 years ago

It is a saddleback caterpillar. I discovered them last year moving a potted bush. Yes, all you have to do is brush them and they will get you. Stings for days.

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Yep, those saddleback guys hurt. I discovered them a couple of years ago munching on my cannas. They get a good size too.
    Great shots of it!

Rebecca

{{gwi:62287}}

• djs537
    16 years ago

Hope this link will work for you , Sabine stimulea / saddleback caterpillar moth.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/showimage/1457/

Here is a link that might be useful: davesgarden.com

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Well darn, I can't read anything on that link. I have to be a paid subscriber.

Rebecca

• bigorangevol
    16 years ago

Looks like bait to me!

• redsnowflake
    16 years ago

Boy - I'm glad I read this post. Cause, if I hadn't read this, and I'd seen one of those out in the yard, I'd probably think aliens were trying to take over my yard! LOL. That's one freaky little bugger.

• djs537
    16 years ago

Hi cannahavana , not sure why you can't read the "http://davesgarden.com>; site ???
    I hope it's ok to mention another site here .
    ....... it's free membership , though there is a subscribed membership that
    you can pay for , I go there a lot to read and look at the photos ...... like
    the " gardenweb.com > ...it's a cool site , lots of info.... I've never posted there , but I'm not thinking you have to pay to use the site , could be wrong I am a lot .
    lot's of people wrote about that moth on there with pretty much the same results as rader_ranch 's wife had .

• atwork
    16 years ago

Dave's Garden is a pay site. To read responses in their forum or get access to certain features of the site, you have to pay $19.95/year.

• thurston
    16 years ago

Well worth the money......

• djs537
    16 years ago

mmmmmm.......right you are , its not letting me post and I 'm a member ,
    bummer ! guest I like ( Garden Web ) best .... at least it let's me join in all the fun . It probably is worth the twenty bucks though .... ;-)

• hosta_mom
    16 years ago

I stepped on one at the golf tournament in Memphis. He got my right in the arch of my foot. YEOW!

• utdeedee
    16 years ago

Wow, I've never saw one of those before. It is something. It looks like it has a t-shirt on :)
    But I'll be on the look out and if I see one I'll know what it is. Don't know if they live in East TN..

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

They're here Utdeedee. Cannahavana lives here in Knoxville. (Which reminds me, she and Doug better be planning to come to the Knoxville Fall Plant Swap!!!!!) Also, I downloaded one of the pics above for a screensaver on my computer at work. One of the guys here said they had seen one in their garden.

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Brandon, we would love to come, but have already made plans to go to Chattanooga that day to hear David Kirchhoff speak at the TN Valley Daylily Society down there. I hope you guys have a great turn out! I am going to miss both the fall swaps this year :(.

Rebecca

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Well, OK. I will regretfully understand if you promise to come to the Spring Swap. (-:

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Hey, I just recently got the daylily named after him (Siloam David Kirchoff). :-)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

There's also one called just plain "David Kirchoff".

Does anyone know of a resource that shows/tells about a vast amount of the daylily cultivars out there? I often see varieties that have no information pop up on them when the name is typed into Google.

• cannahavana
    16 years ago

Brandon, try Tinkers Gardens! They have an awesome database on daylilies.

Rebecca

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinkers Gardens

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Thanks! That works pretty good. It got 18 of the 20 I tried, and many of the ones I tried were brand new!

• andi956
    16 years ago

wow. That's very cool looking--and it *does* look like it's got a shirt on. ;-)

Glad to see it from afar rather than in my garden.

Great photos!

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services