Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smontgo_gw

Compost near Franklin

smontgo
18 years ago

Anyone know of a good place to get good bulk compost in or around Franklin. I will need it delivered.

Thanks

Comments (27)

• due_east
    18 years ago

I have been wanting to check them out (the compost farm)... has anyone used their compost?
    All the other so called "compost" being sold in the area that I have found is chipped up discarded wood like pallets and other useless additive stuff.

• reneecd
    18 years ago

Yep, that was me lauding the glories of Compost Farm compost to Claudia this spring. There are two places that I think deliver fantastic soil replacement in this area. One is Compost Farm. The other is Southern Nurseries on Dickerson Pike in Nashville. I've seen AMAZING results with the soil from both.

• Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

Dr. Renee is such a show-off! ;-)

Do we have educated and helpful folks here or what?

• smontgo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well i'm having 5 cubic yards delivered from The Compost Farm tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works out.

• reneecd
    18 years ago

Dude, keep it up and you better watch yer back!

• zjones
    18 years ago

You won't be disappointed - I got my second load this fall and will order again and again from these folks!
    Zack

• Big_Orange_Vol
    18 years ago

Don't go psyco-kitty on me! ;-)
    I said that you were educated and helpful!!!
    Where does David get his compost?

• reneecd
    18 years ago

Ha ha.
    David sells mushroom compost from the farms over Knoxville way.

• due_east
    18 years ago

"The other is Southern Nurseries on Dickerson Pike in Nashville."

I got a yard of their mix (Southern Nurseries), ground up top soil and compost, it was better than most from this area but still it was just okay.

The stuff that these companies call compost in this area is pitiful, ground up wood made to smell like cow manure.

I plan to get a few yards of the royal soil from the compost farm next spring if ya'll think it's good stuff.

• big_orange_vol_
    18 years ago

You can always hit a horse barn and load up for free!

• psheaston_comcast_net
    18 years ago

I have used 20 to 30 yards of compost from the compost Farm each year for the last five years. I use it heavily in all of my 20 flower beds (they are about 18" deep now) and I plant directly in it. I add about 1 yard each spring and fall to each bed. It is totally organic. I've seen the whole operation and know that nothing else is added but horse manure and straw or wood shavings. I also know that it is cooked to 160 degrees -- I never have problems with weed seeds. It is turned probably five or six times and is always finished compost before it is delivered. I love this stuff -- it is the best such product I have ever used. It is even great for lawns and shrubs. It is full of nutrients, but I do add a bit of fertilizer because I want my flowers to make a huge show, and quickly. The average homeowner would not need to add any. Furthermore, the owner is as honest as the day is long. A pleasure to work with.

• due_east
    18 years ago

smonto,

How did you like the compost from the compost farm?

• smontgo
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Overall I think it was good. There where a bit of big wood chunks so I think it could have cooked a bit longer. I used it to topdress after I overseeded in September. My lawn looks like $200 a round golf course so it must be working pretty good. It was rather pricey though but you know the saying- "You get what you pay for" In the spring I will be trying compost from www.mulchcompany.com Its around half the price and looked really good then I visited their facility.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mulch Company

• brimmsplace
    18 years ago

I've never used the Compost Farm, although I think might next year. I've used Soil Products Inc. in Nashville in the past and have been quite pleased with their products.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soil Products Inc.

• tentrevival_bellsouth_net
    18 years ago

I don't know but a friend told me that they found a used oil can in the Mulch Company compost!? Yikes! And they said their compost consisted mostly of finely ground up mulch. Well of course because they have lots of that on hand.

• smalljaw
    18 years ago

The conversion chart at Soil Products is confusing . David's fungus is amoung us . It is unfortunate that the Compost Farm does not carry worm castings anymore . That stuff is the dank . Does anyone know where you can get bulk ? I heard about some place in Dickson .

• wild_rose
    18 years ago

I didn't see the conversion chart on the Soil Products website, but here is a good link that talks you through calculating volume in cubic yards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calculate Mulch, Soil Needs for Plant Beds

• smalljaw
    18 years ago

I just meant their bucket size is not a full cubic yard , so it flucuates . Maybe they have changed ?

• cyclome
    18 years ago

I don't want to speak poorly of folks working hard to make good organic products, but I took delivery of a bunch of the Compost Farm compost and don't have a lot of great things to say about it. I had to do alot of work once I got it to get the Ph to a reasonable level and an analysis of the nutrients present showed that there was a lot that needed to be added to get my veggies to grow.

As a medium, it was alright - a bunch bigger chunks of wood and and wood chips in the mix lead me to believe that it was not quite done composting.

I was hoping for a product that I could fill my raised beds with and forget about for a season and this certianly wasn't it. In retrospect my expectations were unreasonable as the more I learn about composting and organic gardening the more I realize that there is nothing like that. That being said, this stuff needed more attention than I (and most of my gardening buddies) thought that it should.

After the addition of some supplements ( I really should have been keeping a journal - but I'm pretty sure I put in a buch of cotten seed meal, rock phosphate (?) and greensand and some pressed fish liquid) I got some great veggies and some fun hands on soil education. Also, the guy who sold it to me and delivered it was a pleasure to work with - I'm more of a settler than a complainer (I told myself that if I was really concerned about these issues I would have done some tests on the stuff before buying it) he seemd very friendly.

Again, I don't want to knock the hard work of a local compost farmer, but I thought that my experience would be helpful.

I'm new to the forum and exctied about learning and sharing with folks on the list.

Greg/cyclome

• lgann
    15 years ago

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for this compost?

• bloomwhereyougrow
    15 years ago

I'd ordered 5 yards of compost a year from The Compost Farm and always been impressed with their quality, knowledge and service. Last year I was convinced by a friend to try another Nashville company whose compost was less expensive. What a mistake! Not only was the quality not as high, but the compost was full of garbage - literally: candy wrappers, shredded plastic bags, bottle caps, etc. Yuk. I'm back to using The Compost Farm for good.

• Wildwild
    13 years ago

Not certain if it is a regional thing but the "Compost" I received was nothing more than aged mulch. It was 90 % bark and shredded wood. Compost should be COMPLETELY decomposed. By virtue of serving in the US Army for 22 years, I have had gardens in Georgia, Florida, Texas, Oregon and Germany. I have never, EVER seen anything more pitiful than what they delivered to me.
    A huge waste of money, you will be better served, and will get a better product, AND SAVE a huge amount of money if you r purchase your compost by the bag at any garden center. I am not certain that the owner, his employees, family or friends are not posting here.

What's the Difference between Compost and Mulch?....Compost is any kind decayed, organic plant or animal matter.

Mulch on the other hand, is any material placed around plants as a protective covering for the purpose of: Mulches can be organic such as compost, wood chips, grass clippings, or hay to name a few. But they are of no benefit to the composition of your garden soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: The difference between mulch and Compost

• heathersgarden
    12 years ago

Hi Wildwild, It would be helpful if you were specific as to which company you bought your compost from. We'd really love to know, since even reputable places can change their product. Thanks!

I happen to think that the only real difference between compost and mulch is just a matter of time:) Of course we're talking organic mulches, not crazy stuff like carpet or rubber chips. I like to practice what I believe is called a 'feeding mulch'. I just keep layering stuff on my beds, which acts a mulch, and it breaks down becoming humus/compost. Easy!

And just in case anyone misunderstands the benefits of mulch, the article Wildwild referenced states, in its entirety:

"Mulches can be organic such as compost, wood chips, grass clippings, or hay to name a few. Or, they could be inorganic such as black plastic newspaper, or even aluminum foil. The benefit of organic is that it also enriches the soil. In-organic mulches can be much more efficient in keeping out weeds. But they are of no benefit to the composition of your garden soil."

• martinblight_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Thanks for clarifying the original quote, heathersgarden. I think that's an important point. I'm only an amateur gardener/composter, but from what I understand, organic mulches can benefit a soil's composition as they break down.

• Wildwild
    12 years ago

Heathersgarden,
    I purchased this from the "Compost Farm" and I am STILL not happy. The entire load was nothing more than slightly rotted wood chips. After getting this product I can only assume that those posters who posted so glowingly of this product are either ignorant about gardening or are in his employ.. or even him... and since my purchase was based on the comments here, SINCE THEY WON"T LET YOU COME AND GET IT AND LOOK IT OVER FIRST, I hold those posters just as responsible. Note the one guy who BLASTED the one poster for posting a link to the other Compost Company. But said NOTHING to the one who posted a link to the Compost farm, then they are probably have a relationship.
    The crap that they brought to my house, which I paid over $400 for, was nothing more than the gleanings from the lumber yard, left to rot for a time (NOT LONG ENOUGH) and then sold at a ridiculous price.
    Anyone who does not believe me is more than welcome to come to my home and see the miserable excuse for compost that I bought from them.

• Twangster
    12 years ago

I bought the Earth Mix from Bates Nursery and the Holy Cow Mix from Southern Nurseries this week to compare and for my raised beds. The Holy Cow mix is much better. The Earth Mix has a lot of wood chips and had some trash in it too. I wouldn't pay the price for the Royal Soil so I can advise on it.

Sponsored