Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tennesseemom_gw

Trees

tennesseemom
16 years ago

I recently bought a new home and the builder put in a PUNY skinny cherry Kwanazan! I hate it. I want to get rid of it. In the mean time I am searching for a replacement. the area the tree would be in get extremely HOT. I need a good tree that will create some shade.

anyone know where I can find a small ornamental tree, preferably a plumish color for my front landscape? It going next to the window and would be a focal point. I really dont want a crepe myrtle. Too many people have them here.

any recommendations?

im in Mufreesboro.

thank you.

Comments (7)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

For your situation, I wouldn't imagine you want to wait years for the tree to start producing at least some shade. If you're going for a larger (relatively to a seedling) tree, you are probably going to end up sourcing it from a local nursery. I would go to a reputable nursery and see what they recommend. Check branch structure, roots, etc before buying. It's amazing what's sold at some nurseries these days.

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

You're not too far from McMinnville -- nursery center of the universe. Drive over there in the spring and look at all the millions of young trees that will be available then!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    16 years ago

Another way to say it is that part of your decision process may be based on what's available. Also, by looking at what the nursery has, you may get ideas that you wouldn't think of otherwise.

• tennesseemom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

been to mcminville, big cheap trees, but i dont own a pick up ttruck! No way to get them home

• ctack2
    16 years ago

Have you been to the nursery that is on Thompson Lane just north of Broad Street? I've never stopped there, but they always seem to have a lot of trees. Then there is Southern Creations (I think is the name) on South Church Street, going out of town toward Shelbyville.
    There is a man that comes around here a couple times a year in a pickup truck with a big horse trailer on the back just full of trees. I've never stopped him, so I have no idea what he has or what his prices are like, but you may see him someday.
    When you pull that little booger up, you can throw it in my yard instead of in the dumpster. lol.
    Good luck in finding what you're looking for.
    Carol B

• myrtleoak
    16 years ago

Tennesseemom, maybe a purple smoketree would fit your qualifications! Small tree, purple, nice specimen. Of course, if you want my opinion, every front yard should have a water oak or Darlington oak (even better) in it!

• gailgardens
    16 years ago

Curious about what you decided to plant....Had I seen your earlier post I would have suggested you contact nurseries that have expertice in native trees and plants. We had a rough summer and all the trees that survived the drought in our yard and in the neighborhood were native trees. For instance we have 3 beautiful rusty blackhaws that are stunning with their red fall color, they are small understory trees. They are under a burr oak, shag bark hickory and good old hackberry. Also, we have Ostrya virginiana (American Hophornbeam), another lovely understory tree with orange, yellow coloring in the fall. Dogwood, especially the shrubby form shows up as volunteers with their red fall coloring. The other thing is that Murfreesboro/Rutherford county is in a cedar glade area and your growing conditions, soil composition, depth, etc might make native trees happier in your yard. Your favorite search engine can help you search out lists of cedar glade plants, also search cedar glade plants on this forum, I remember someone listed perennials and shrubs. Happy gardening. I garden in Nashville. Gail

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!