Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a reliable tree nursery in TN

Posted by ladybug1 7TN (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 07 at 23:13

I am looking for a reliable tree nursery in TN that will ship. I would like to get some redbuds to plant on my hillside. We had to pretty well clean off 50 feet up the hillside after a terrible storm took out a huge tree and it took out everything else. I don't want any 60 foot trees close to the house again (it just missed the house!) and something colorful would be nice to look at.

I would love to put a sugar maple out there, but it would be too close and it gets too big.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a reliable tree nursery in TN

I would not consider buying redbuds sight-unseen. Redbuds are notorious for having poor form (sharp branching angles that cause the tree to break apart after a few years). The only way I would buy redbuds (except maybe for seedlings that I planed on carefully pruning to establish a good form), is to carefully examine every one for good branching characteristics. Redbuds are pretty but they tend to be poor quality trees if not carefully monitored and pruned.

Premium nurseries (aka expensive) will often have high quality redbuds. If you choose this tree, I would recommend spending the extra money and getting higher quality trees or starting with seedlings and carefully managing their growth for the first 5 to 10 years.

o

Interesting thoughts, Brandon.

I've got several volunteer seedlings that I've been encouraging for the last few years. I never thought about checking their branching angles. I'll have to take a look at em!

o

Once you have branches at the level you want, you can use plant tie tape for support below the branches and branch spreaders to increase the branching angles. If caught early enough, branch angle can be changed. Redbuds have weak easily split wood, so increase the angle gradually. Another tool that you might use is pantyhose tied low on the branch (close to the trunk). This would be easier on the branch than string or rope.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here