Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maemae0312

Ok West TN Lets get the party started!!!!!

maemae0312
15 years ago

Hey everyone!!! Does any one have any idea what they will be bringing to the swap???? Anything you are looking for?

I think so far I have:

Purple ice plant starts

a few Passion incarnata

pink rain lilies

Mary

Comments (17)

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

If they go dormant in time.... Lots of cuttings;
    Fig(10+ varieties), grape, pomegranate.

• judydean
    15 years ago

I have daylilies Hyperion, Joan Senior and Outrageous. There are iris too numerous to mention but all are named and include TN Bicentennial, Galactic Gold, Welcome Aboard, Ice Cream Treat, etc. I have a couple of hellebore plants, 2 perennial blue salvias, 8 treelets (little trees about 3 ft. tall. (these include hawthorne, dogwood, redbud, crabapple, and goldenrain). Also there will be Alma Potsche asters and Stokes' asters, Golden Jubilee hyssop, penstemmon (the one with red stems and white flowers). Anything else I dig up, I'll let you know. Right now I'm out of pots and potting soil and must go to Lowe's tomorrow (unless someone knows where I can get pots cheap - I didn't have the nerve to raid the church). I'm looking for hydrangeas, ferns, clematis - anything that takes care of itself. I just redid my flowerbeds to be handicapped friendly for me (i.e., I can get the white plastic chair in the beds without hurting anything.)Will also have some gardening magazines to give away and some cutsie stuff. Judy

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

>unless someone knows where I can get pots cheap -
    >I didn't have the nerve to raid the church

PLEASE, feel free, that is why they are there!

• judydean
    15 years ago

OK, thanks!

• maemae0312
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Are we the only ones planing to go??? Judy and I may have to eat a lot of pancakes.

Mary

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

Be sure to bring a few "tasting glasses".... I have several "samples" of various juices that were "accidentally" inoculated with Saccharomyces cerevisiae. (And quite possibly a bottle or two, to take home with you ;-)

The Elderberry and Cranberry are currently competing against each other (and the only two left in the running) for "best of show" at a popular Regional Fair.

• judydean
    15 years ago

Hey! Pancakes and "juice" for breakfast!! Let the party begin indeed!!

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

I was going to wait till lunchtime for the juices, but hey, it's always past 1200 _somewhere_

• maemae0312
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh I am always up for juice!!! Had I known you had some in the fair I would have looked for your bottle. I went this week and I always look and the food and craft goods. I could have at least oogled your bottle!!!

Mary

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

"I could have at least oogled your bottle!!! "

Shhhh Mary... I'm a married man! What are you thinking, my wife might be reading this!!! ;-)

But seriously, The amazing "Day'um Yankee Cranberry" and the summer sipping favorite "Calypso Bianco"(a sweet white blended with subtle hints of papaya, guava, pineapple and banana) will be in attendance, for sure! Perhaps some Elderberry, if I can where I hid them.

• maemae0312
    Original Author
    15 years ago

opps sorry!! :)

I think it is a great honor to win a ribbon at the fair. My daughter and I also browsed trough the hort building and she is convinced I should enter in the fair next year and she really wants to grow a giant sunflower......know where I can get some seeds that will grow 7-8 feet tall? I don't think the fair will be the same next year when it moves locations, just makes me sad.

Mary

• sjackwheat
    15 years ago

If I am still breathing (and make it through this remodeling project that I have going on, cough! cough!) I will be at the Fall Swap. I can only say what I am "PLANNING" on bringing to the Fall Swap. The list includes: a few Chinese Parasol tree seedlings, Walking Iris starts, Yellow Ice Plant starts, Yellow Cannas, Various Cactus cuttings, Spider plant babies, and more.

• sandsquid
    15 years ago

>I don't think the fair will be the same next year when it moves locations

I sure hope it's not the same. In my opinion the Mid-South Fair Grounds is a festering boil on the anus of Memphis. Hosting it on top of a toxic land-fill would be an improvement.

• maemae0312
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Besides not wanting to drive to Tunica to go to the fair I guess I am just old and sentimental. I have a lot of fond memories of the fair as a child then my teen years and then taking my own children. I was so glad to get to go one last time at the fairgrounds with my daughter, we even brought home the famous fair goldfish. My oldest daughter went on her own with her friends, she was also in the talent contest and got to the semi-finals, she was pleased and of course I was a proud mom. The fair grounds shouldn't be a festering boil on the anus of Memphis, instead Memphis should learn to embrace the good things that it has and actually invest some time and yes money to make them better, just think of how much revenue the city just lost to another state!!!! and that is the trend of the way things in general are going.Yep that is the trend, south to Mississippi. I would love to move back to the city proper as it does have so much character, but I wouldn't dare with kids still in school. I wouldn't dare send my kids to a city school, as the city doesn't seem to know how to protect its resources and I feel like I have 2 of the best resources, and I don't want them wasted!!!

Mary

• fernzilla
    15 years ago

I have never been to the swap meet before, although I have been on garden web for years.
    As far as the Mid South Fair goes, have been twice in 40 or so years. I never really cared for it much myself. I don't like crowds or the rides.I agree though Memphis should support the things that give Memphis some character, instead of shoving all those sports related arenas down taxpayers throats.I really enjoyed all the Wonder's exhibitions except the last one about motorcycles, which I didn't go to.

• maemae0312
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey fernzilla!!! Nice to meet you. Us folks here in the Memphis area had our first ever swap last spring. We were a small group but we had a lot of fun and there was a ton of plants. Hope you can make the swap......It is Nov 1st.

Mary

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Squid don't hold back on the Mid-South Fair Grounds! Tell us how you really feel. :-)

I wish we had the money to get down there for the fall swap. We were in Crossville Saturday so I couldn't afford to turn around and go back to Knoxville on Sunday to hit the swap there.

I promise that one of these days Lavonne and I are going to hit all three in the spring.

You guys have a great time and make sure to tell us how it went - and post pictures!!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting