Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lilac problem...

Posted by rader_ranch 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 07 at 0:40

Hello all...so we planted this lilac this year, and it's leaves got powdery mildew and brown spots pretty quick. Got to the point where we decided to trim it and take all the leaves off. It grew a bunch of beautiful new leaves that stayed that way for a good month or more....then back came the powdery mildew and brown spots. tried a fungicide already, but don't remember the specifics of it, not home to check now.

We love lilacs and would of course like to keep this one alive, but if it continually has al its leaves get sick like this it's not gonna last long. Any thoughts/help much appreciated.

Scott....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lilac problem...

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 30, 07 at 9:50

Except for the aesthetics, the powdery mildew is usually not a problem. The brown spots are probably bacterial blight. If it were me, I'd make sure to clean the area of fallen leaves this fall and see what happened next year. If the problem persisted, I'd probably get rid of the plant. I don't like plants I have to baby too much. You might want to replace it with a lilac more suited to this area (We're not in the best area for lilacs especially now that it's warmer) and resistant to the problems.

If you do want to try to treat it, do so BEFORE the outbreak. There's plenty of advise on what to use to treat the plant if you google "lilac bacterial blight".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here