Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybug37091

Who Made the Cornbread?

ladybug37091
14 years ago

There was a lot of chatter about the delicious cornbread at the Fall MTPS swap. I myself thought it a perfect pairing with Mariannes spicy chili. So step up and take credit as that bread was a hit! Please post the recipe. There are several of us that want it. Rhonda

Comments (6)

• tn_veggie_gardner
    14 years ago

I believe Pat made it. I forgot to try some. :( Jalapeno cornbread, I think.

• sandyl
    14 years ago

Ok I confess, I made the cornbread. Sorry I just been busy and haven't had the time to login and post the recipe. I brought the goat poo but that doesn't have anything to do with the cornbread. Anyway I'm Pat's daughter Sandy and here is the recipe. I am glad everyone enjoyed the cornbread and I agree it went well with Mariannes chili on a cold day.
    Cornbread Recipe
    Please note I donÂt usually go by a recipe when I make this bread, but hereÂs what I would have to say about making the cornbread:
    Pre heat oven to 450
    In iron skillet heat in oven about ½ cup of veg oil
    Prepare the following in a large mixing bowl
    2 cups of self rising white corn meal
    3 Tbs of white sugar
    3 mild or hot chopped Japaleno peppers / This is your call, you can add more if you really like it hot. You can make this bread as hot or as mild as you like, use as many or less of the peppers for your taste.
    One 1/2 cups of white cream corn
    I also added 1/2 cup of yellow whole frozen corn for color
    One & 1/2 cups of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    One ½ to two cups of butter milk. Note you donÂt want the batter to be to dry nor to wet
    Once the oil has heated I pour about ½ the hot oil into the cornbread batter and mix well.
    Pour cornbread batter into hot skillet
    I bake on 450 for about 12 to 15 minutes and then turn down to about 410 for another 20 minutes or so.
    Once the bread is done I sprinkle the top with about ½ cup of shredded cheddar cheese and broil for 30 to 40 seconds until light brown.
    I then pour ½ stick of melted butter over top of cooked bread. Don't leave out the last step, the melted butter makes it oh so gooddddddddddddd
    Enjoy.
    Sandy

• columbiastock
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the recipe Sandy! Will be delicious with Bob's turnip greens also.

Wanda

• paperart
    14 years ago

Thanks - a little post swap treat!

• Danielmccarter
    12 years ago

Hello
    I am a new member and this is my first posting. I do not like my cornbread receipe. And have two questions.
    some reciepes call for oil and some butter; other receipes call for buttermilk and some sweet milk.
    What would be the difference between oil vs butter and buttermilh vs sweet milk?
    Thanks
    Danny from tennessee

• ladybug37091
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello Danny! Buttermilk adds character to cornbread and biscuits in my opinion. It really is a matter of taste. I have always used oil in my basic cornbread as that is how I was taught. As far as butter instead I have no idea how it would turn out. The recipe that is posted above is delicious and I highly recommend it! When adding corn and cheese you have a very different texture and flavor. Give it a try. : )

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio