Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandsquid

under 3 weeks till Memphis Area Plant Swap 1.5

sandsquid
15 years ago

Just a reminder that on Saturday 01-NOV-2008, there will be a gathering of like minded folks, for the purpose of cleaning out the root cellars, potting sheds, and seed baskets.

But more importantly for socializing, consumption of various food items (what ever you bring to share), and general good-natured frivolity.

Spouses, significant others, family, friends, relatives, crazy Aunt Marge that was 23 cats, your kids, the neighbors kids, mutant spawn, all are welcome!!! (Or if you just need some "me time" leave them home.)

Location is:

Good Shepard U.M.C.

6050 Summer Avenue

Memphis, TN

Begin Time: morning

Lunch Time: yes

End Time: after morning

If the weather is nice, we'll be outside at the picnic tables between the two out-buildings.

If it's not so nice we'll be inside the yellow out-building.

Please feel free to park on the grass field between the out-building and the parsonage, just like this past spring... I'll have some stakes in the ground and yellow police tape directing you where to park.

I will begin serving a, free-for all, pancake breakfast at 0700!!! And I have some wonderful Dew-Berry and Watermelon preserves from the (not-so-local) Amish community in Three Oaks, TN. (70 Miles South of Nashville)

Also on the church grounds on, happening on the same day is our semi-annual rummage sale in the gymnasium. So, if you have any stuff that is cluttering your attic, basement, garage, spare closets, etc. that is too good to throw away but you'd like to get rid of, haul it along with you. ALL DONATIONS ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE! There will be people on hand to unload your car, truck, or moving-van. So, time to clear all that clutter!

Comments (23)

• leighmac
    15 years ago

John,
    I just got off the phone with someone from the Master Gardeners Association regarding a speaker. I suggested they might do a presentation at 11 or 11:30 or just after lunch at 1 p.m. He said he would get back to me with someone soon. Hurrah! We're on! Subjects are water features or propagation.

• leighmac
    15 years ago

Okay Folks,
    Ms. Evelyn Talada will do a presentation on Propagation at 1 p.m. at the swap.
    Ms. Talada comes to us courtesy of the Master Gardeners program. She has been a Master Gardener since 2002 and volunteers five days a week at the Memphis Zoo. One of her area of interest is in Tropicals and she mentioned something about Passion flower vines. I will be bring stems of Porterweed to share and she will show us how to cut them and keep them for planting next spring. I can't wait! Can we do a roll call here in this thread to gage attendance? Ms. Talada will bring handouts and would like to get an idea of the numbers.

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll be there and plant to bring few cuttings to experiment with.

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

I am planning on being there. I dont know what all I am bringing yet but I will be there!!!!

Mary

• bebopfox
    15 years ago

I just moved to Dyersburg, TN, and I'm really hoping to come!
    I left my collection back in Texas.. I'm still a wreck over it..
    I'm going to be on the look-out for mint, lemon verbena, lemongrass, french tarragon, and other edibles. Anyone bringing anything like that?
    >^.^

• sjackwheat
    15 years ago

I am still planning on being there also. I may not have nearly as many plants as the last swap, but will have a bunch! Jackie

• sjackwheat
    15 years ago

Ok, I just hung up the phone from talking with Lani and she is still having modem problems and cannot post but she is planning on coming to the swap. She is most likely going to try and ride down with me. I will update more information as I get it since we are keeping in touch regularly. Jackie

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is our speaker expecting any fee?

If not, should we take up a collection/donation for her& her time?

• leighmac
    15 years ago

Master Gardeners speak for free. It is part of their ongoing volunteer commitment.
    I will bring coleus cuttings, lots of them! I had to replace all of mine last year due to mealy bugs. So, of course I went wild and now have around 30 varieties. Lots of Fishnet Stockings, Red Ruffles, Twist and Twirl, Black Magic, etc. Rosy Dawn Farms out of Michigan is my new favorite mail order for Coleus. I will also have several starts of Rudbeckia, maybe some iris if they're not pulp by now. Are we doing lunch Potluck? Glad to here Lani and Wanda will be there!

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

I think even though she speaks for free we should give her a "token" gift.....Lotion, candle, any good ideas? I would be happy to take care of this if yall think it is appropriate. We want to be known as the group to come back to!

Mary

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Perhaps a small gift basket of some sort... Being a guy, I'm not all that in-tune w/ the whole "gifting thing", especially for ladies. To me a perfect gift is a bottle of a heavy red wine, a cigar, and a gift certificate to Lowe's.

I'll defer to you ladies on this one.

Let me know how much it costs you and we'll square up when I see you all in 11(?) days.

• judydean
    15 years ago

I'm coming and bringing 2 friends! Also bringing named irises, daylilies, asters, yellow red hot poker, garden magazines and some other stuff. Am very interested in the porterweed cuttings!

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't know porterweed could survive this far North... I used it for xeriscaping when I lived in Naples, FL and it is beautiful. But can it survive our winters???

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Squid we normally make sure that the speaker (if not one of our regulars) goes home with a bunch of stuff. We'll have a lot of folks donate plants from their stash. We never want anyone going home empty-handed. Who knows, maybe she'd like a bottle of a heavy red wine, a cigar, and a gift certificate to Lowe's. She could always re-gift. :-)

Sounds like a good lecture topic! I just checked the weather and it looks great for Saturday in Mempho. Make sure to post some pictures!!! Best of luck to you guys next weekend. Hooyah!

• sjackwheat
    15 years ago

BAD NEWS!!! I got a phone call from Lani and Wanda (Atokadawn and Atoka Teddy)tonight,both of which will not be able to come this weekend. I am still planning on coming though. See you all Saturday........Jackie

• mstagjd120
    15 years ago

I am going to try to make it Saturday morning. The spring swap was my first to attend and I thought it was great. I don't have many plants - some arum, a couple little hydrangea. I can't stay for the lunch potluck, so can I bring something to contribute to breakfast?

Jennifer

• judydean
    15 years ago

Jennifer, I would love to get an arum & hydrangea. I have irises, daylilies, 2 kinds of asters, yellow red hot poker, a hellebore, purple liatris, crocosmia & 5 little bitty trees (dogwood, hawthorne, redbud, crabapple, golden rain). The bad news is that it will be about 9 before I get there. Will you still be there and do I have anything you might want to swap for?? Judy

• sjackwheat
    15 years ago

Here is my updated list of "Haves" that I will be bringing to the swap. Hope there are a bunch of people with "Wants" ...LOL! Large Prickly Pear Cactus pads, vaious cactus cuttings, Spider plant babies, Purple Heart Jew cuttings, Ice plants starts, (2)Chinese Parasol tree seedlings, Rooted Variegated Sweet Potato vines, Candle Flower bulbs, Yellow Cannas w/red speckles rhizomes,Callisia Fragrans babies, Walking Iris babies, Lily of the Valley pips, and whatever else I get together between now and then.........Judy, I would love to get ahold of that Hellebore and some Yellow Red Hot Poker also. Hope I have something of interest to you. See ya'll then. Jackie

• sandsquid
    Original Author
    15 years ago

None of my berry bushes or fig trees have gone dormant yet, So I'll have no cuttings, but I do have some well rooted 1 year fig plants that need to get into the ground sometime between going dormant and bud burst in spring. If they can be over wintered in a unheated garage or attic that would be best. unfortunately the tags were lost long ago, so I can't tell you the exact variety, but if I have them they are good tasting and suited to our growing season.

I can easily mail dormant cutting later in the winter or you can get them rooted in the spring.

I do have some viable seeds from some wonderful melon I got from the Amish in Three Oak's/Ethridge, TN it's not quite a honeydew and not quite a cantaloupe, but it's _way_ yummie!

I'm interested in anything that is edible or fermentable.
    Esp. looking for any fruit/veggie seeds, of course.

BREAK

Judy, is that crabapple a fruiting variety? And is it self fertile?

Jackie, might be intersted in a Sweet Potato vine

My darling spousal unit, Karen is interested in anything "pretty" and low maintenance for the flower beds in front of the house.

BREAK

If anybody want to bring anything, I'll be happy to toss it on the griddle. from fruits/berries(preferably home grown) to put in the pancakes, to eggs, bacon, sausage, potato, etc etc. you bring it I can cook it! and we could always use something to drink since it's kid of early in the day to drink my "juice".

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

I am bringing some purple ice plant starts, some passion vines, I have one persian shield, I can make cuttings of that if anyone wants to root them. Anyone interested in anymore brugmansia cuttings? I have pink, yellow and white.

Mary

• mstagjd120
    15 years ago

Judy - I'll save a hydrangea and some arum for you.

John, I will bring some juice & etc for breakfast.

Mary, I would love a pink brug cutting. I am way happy with the cuttings you shared with me at the spring swap.

See you tomorrow,
    Jennifer

• judydean
    15 years ago

Jackie, will save the hellebore & a yellow red hot poker for you - I'm sure you'll have something I want. Jennifer, thanks for saving an arum & hydrangea. See everyone around 9. Am bringing 2 new gardeners and 1 old hand with me. Not to mention about 50 irises, 6 daylilies, a yellow red hot poker and 1 hellebore (with Jackie's name on it), 2 Stokes asters, 2 baby white dogwood, 2 baby hawthorne trees, 2 baby redbuds, 2 baby crabapples (don't know if they will grow up to be fruiting or not), 1 golden rain tree.

• bigorangevol
    15 years ago

Ya'll have a great time tomorrow!!!

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!