Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andi956

overwintering Cape daisy?

andi956
16 years ago

Hi All,

I bought some nearly dead Cape Daisies (Margarita de Capa) this summer. I planted a few until I got tired. Potted the rest. They began to thrive until the drought.

I see from the tag that they are "grown as an annual where temps dip below 32 degrees".

Is it possible to just mulch the heck out of these or to put "peanuts" and plastic over them to see if they'll come back in the spring?

Anyone tried this? They had a rough summer due to the drought but are coming back now.

I don't have the physical ability to dig up or anywhere to store them (no basement, small house).

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

If they're only hardy to 32 degrees, you ain't gonna get em through with mulch. I think osteospermums (Cape Daisies) are rated hardy to about zone 10 -- we're zone 6 or 7. Sorry about that!

• andi956
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pity. I was replacing the impatiens and coleus in my window boxes with some wintery flowers and I *hate* pulling them up. Keep thinking they could live through.

But these daisies look *so* hearty! Guess we'll see. I oddly have a few wax begonias and other "annuals" that keep popping up. Maybe they go to seed...who knows. I am learning...

If I dug them up and put them in my crawl space maybe that would work. Hmmmm...

Thanks!

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Yeah, I've personally never had wax begonias reseed -- probably because I haven't grown any in about 15 years ;-) -- but I've got volunteer impatiens and coleus all over the yard, plus a few volunteer moss roses and violas, and lots of other returning annuals scattered around. It is common for annual plants to leave LOTS of seeds. Sometimes the seeds survive, sometimes not. That's one of the interesting things about gardening -- seeing what pops up next year!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!