Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintering Cape daisy?

Posted by andi956 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 07 at 8:49

Hi All,

I bought some nearly dead Cape Daisies (Margarita de Capa) this summer. I planted a few until I got tired. Potted the rest. They began to thrive until the drought.

I see from the tag that they are "grown as an annual where temps dip below 32 degrees".

Is it possible to just mulch the heck out of these or to put "peanuts" and plastic over them to see if they'll come back in the spring?

Anyone tried this? They had a rough summer due to the drought but are coming back now.

I don't have the physical ability to dig up or anywhere to store them (no basement, small house).

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintering Cape daisy?

If they're only hardy to 32 degrees, you ain't gonna get em through with mulch. I think osteospermums (Cape Daisies) are rated hardy to about zone 10 -- we're zone 6 or 7. Sorry about that!

o

Pity. I was replacing the impatiens and coleus in my window boxes with some wintery flowers and I *hate* pulling them up. Keep thinking they could live through.

But these daisies look *so* hearty! Guess we'll see. I oddly have a few wax begonias and other "annuals" that keep popping up. Maybe they go to seed...who knows. I am learning...

If I dug them up and put them in my crawl space maybe that would work. Hmmmm...

Thanks!

o

Yeah, I've personally never had wax begonias reseed -- probably because I haven't grown any in about 15 years ;-) -- but I've got volunteer impatiens and coleus all over the yard, plus a few volunteer moss roses and violas, and lots of other returning annuals scattered around. It is common for annual plants to leave LOTS of seeds. Sometimes the seeds survive, sometimes not. That's one of the interesting things about gardening -- seeing what pops up next year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tennessee Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here