Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tngreenthumb

Night Visitor

tngreenthumb
16 years ago

Spotted this little guy having his way with my brugs the other night. He would crawl way up in there. Too bad they don't have time to set pods before frost comes.

I have also seen them going at it with the daturas. Does anyone know if they are strictly a night flyer or do they also pollenate day blooming flowers?

White Lined Sphinx Moth

{{gwi:562314}}

{{gwi:562316}}

{{gwi:562318}}

Comments (7)

• Amazindirt (7a TN)
    16 years ago

Ooo, I love the shots showing his tongue! Great pics!

• jim_6b
    16 years ago

I haven't checked but I hope my triple yellow daturas are getting the same visitors. They were planted late so I may not get any seed pods.
    Jim

• TnShadyLady
    16 years ago

I believe the Sphinx moths are strickly nocturnal. I did have a bunch of the clear winged moths this year that look a lot like the Sphinx moths when in flight. And the clear winged are out and about during the day.

Great photos!

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone.

I got some feedback on the Brugmansia forum and it turns out this is actually a Pink Spotted Hawk Moth.

• fernzilla
    16 years ago

I saw one of those Moth's the other day too. It was flying around in the daytime though. I am glad to know what it is.

• bigorangevol
    16 years ago

I get a crapload of those guys in my Datura every year. They will buzz by me in the evening when I'm on the patio having a smoke. Sometimes they scare the stew out of me 'cause it's like having a hummingbird dive-bomb you. THIRTY MILES PER HOUR!!! Check this out:

[Family: Sphingidae, Sphinx Moths
    Description: 3 3/4 - 4 3/4". Forewings narrow; brown and gray pattern resembles bark; hindwings gray-brown with black and pink to orange bands, small pink patch at base. Body brown with pink bands; black bands on abdomen.
    Range: Eastern Canada to southern South America.
    Host plants: Jimsonweed, Sweet Potato, Pawpaw

Caterpillar sometimes a pest on Sweet Potato crops. Like other sphinx moths, this species flies well and fast (30mph or faster at times). It sometimes strays far from its home range and has even been seen 500 out in the Atlantic Ocean. Sphinx moths feed on tubular flowers and have a very long proboscis especially adapted to the task. The large caterpillars of sphinx moths have a long, pointed horn at the end of their body and are frequently called "hornworms."]

• tngreenthumb
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What's really wild is to be walking along and shine your flashlight right in their eyes. Looks like a miniature hellhound staring back at ya.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths